Kill A Bigfoot Or Capture One For Proof, A Better Non Lethal Way

It is probably beyond the abilities of any current researchers to dart one. That would probably take some specialized team with extensive training to accomplish. There might be some examples of them being located like in some kind of habituation scenario. Short of that it would probably require some very sophisticated technology like only the military is is likely to use. It would require training them to do the mission and I don't see them being your average biologists. That is more like something a highly trained sniper group would accomplish with specialized equipment and something like that isn't likely to happen without them being proven first. They would probably need to have a trained veterinarian along. The drugs themselves are controlled substances so it would be beyond what any normal research group could manage. It could make a good movie.

It doesn't require a body to prove that they exist beyond a reasonable doubt. They should be able to prove that even in the worst case scenario of them being hybrids or very close to modern humans. Neither one of those options where it is a close relative leaves an alternative where it is morally justifiable to shoot one with a high powered rifle in my opinion. Either the DNA will easily prove them or they are too close to modern humans to prove. It isn't justifiable to kill one if they are more distantly related since it would be easy to prove by DNA alone. The argument that we need something to compare it to isn't valid. You need wild conspiracy theories for that to be true and few scientists are going to be influenced by the argument that it might be some other wild hominid in the woods or wherever that argument is supposed to go.

I would probably be less against the idea of killing one if there weren't examples of people supposedly wounding them in the process and then trying to justify it. If there wasn't a DNA analysis happening right now they might have some small basis to justify shooting at one. It was just cruel as it turned out and it was a very questionable act to attempt to justify.

post-395-0-40554200-1329357607.jpg

We SAY that we are going to tranquilizer dart it to appease the "no kill crowd" but we use waaaay too much sedative to appease the "pro kill crowd".

Voila!

You got to persuade an animal, which by all accounts is extremely wary, to walk out onto an area of bare earth, close to a pile of maybe 20 or 30tons of recently excavated earth, and all smelling of diesel and hydraulic oil from the excavator.

What are you talking about ? Why would you excavate 20, 30 tons of earth, machines, oil ? why would you need to do all that ? that does not make any since .

I think I covered this........and it was you accusing me of jumping in without reading first. Anyway, I'll say it again. You can't just fire stuff off in the woods automatically, because the odds of it hitting the intended target are pretty small, and the risk of it hitting, say, a human, would result, as I said, in them throwing away the key.

Well i'm accusing you again,that's why I said a high bait station, set it high off the ground so it would have to reach for it, hanging from 9 or 10 feet. being the average BF height 7 ' tall, would rule out most wild life and humans.

Also, this would be something to set up on private land and then you could post the access trails warning people of the bait stations are potentially dangerous.

we can't even get it to walk in front of a trail cam!!!

again, the Olympic project, for one and and there's more.

I'm sorry if you saw this as the start of an argument, because that was not the intention.

You disagree with the whole idea and sarcastically reply

I have spotted a slight flaw in this cunning plan of yours, Ziggy.

lets just say i'm skeptical about your intentions .

I simply took your idea back a little..........to where it started to depart from reality.

It's reality, gps tracking is real, tracking animals with gps is real, I thought that gps chips were sold publicly, I was wrong about that, but the technology is real,

that I do know.

The police are using systems like this , Some modification to make it tangle and stick to the hair , would probably work better than a chip. Even if it only stayed on for a couple days, would be beneficial.

GPS Gum ball

What is Sticky GPS?

GPS Gum Ball or GPS GUMBALL can help eliminate or greatly reduce the risk to bystanders involved in a high speed car chase.

The
GPS Gumball
is a strange new weapon in the police department's strategy to end high-speed pursuits; they are adhesive darts with a GPS (global positioning system) that are fired at fleeing cars.

here is another one,

http://lawblog.legal...investigations/

@ slabdog to the post above :lol::rock:

Edited by zigoapex

There are certainly some great advances being made in this field. I have even seen a tracking device attached to a bee. But let's not get carried away.....The bee tracker only works for a few minutes, and sends no information (ie, it needs to be retrieved).

The Star-Chase Pursuit Management System thingies (which you link to above) stick to the outside of a car, and appear to be of the order of an inch or two long. Simple enough for almost any animal to remove, let alone one which has hands. Again, they only need battery power enough for one car chase before being recharged, so I'm guessing that even if you could get something this size to stay on the animal they'll last no longer than a battery in a cell phone. This device is probably a hundred times larger or more than a sub-dermal device would need to be.

No, I say again, the only way you are going to be attaching any of the current generation of tracking devices is by tranquilising the animal, and I therefore refer you back to my first post. The day may come when there is an injectable tracking device suitable for this task, but it isn't here yet.

Mike

PS Re-read my post about the digger and spoil pile. You'll see that it refers to the preceeding post about sinking a cage trap underground.

There are certainly some great advances being made in this field. I have even seen a tracking device attached to a bee. But let's not get carried away.....The bee tracker only works for a few minutes, and sends no information (ie, it needs to be retrieved).

The Star-Chase Pursuit Management System thingies (which you link to above) stick to the outside of a car, and appear to be of the order of an inch or two long. Simple enough for almost any animal to remove, let alone one which has hands. Again, they only need battery power enough for one car chase before being recharged, so I'm guessing that even if you could get something this size to stay on the animal they'll last no longer than a battery in a cell phone. This device is probably a hundred times larger or more than a sub-dermal device would need to be.

No, I say again, the only way you are going to be attaching any of the current generation of tracking devices is by tranquilising the animal, and I therefore refer you back to my first post. The day may come when there is an injectable tracking device suitable for this task, but it isn't here yet.

Mike

He is tracking them, it has to be working longer than a few seconds or how else would he track them. If he could track animals this small, I really don't see this as being as impossible as you think it would be. you could snag it on it's back, And there are 100's of ways of doing that,you would not have to sedate it, and would not have to be anything hi tech.

PS Re-read my post about the digger and spoil pile. You'll see that it refers to the preceeding post about sinking a cage trap underground.

Again, you are responding to post that someone else made and responding to me as if I posted it, I don't understand why keep doing that.

By Paul Kvinta
Posted 03.23.2011 at 9:17 am

PSC0411_HL_025-(1).jpg

Tracking Bird

Christian Ziegler

“The animals are telling us things,†said Martin Wikelski, hopping out of the cockpit of his Cessna. He had just spent a chilly January morning chasing blackbirds in southern France. “Maybe they’re saying, ‘the next earthquake will happen this week,’ or ‘listen, we’re telling you where this ebola outbreak is headed. Pay attention.’†The blackbirds hadn’t been quite so explicit today, but by tracking data from radio tags temporarily glued to their backs, he had learned their heart rates and how fast they flap their wings. In a few days Wikelski, the director of the Max Planck institute for Ornithology in Germany, planned to fly across West Africa to track fruit bats. Then he would crisscross Bhutan searching for mountain pheasants. After that, it was moths in the Alps.

Billions of animals are migrating around the planet every second, Wikelski points out, and we have no idea where most of them are going or why. “Fruit bats are the most numerous mammal in Africa,†he says. “They carry ebola. Yet for most of the year, we have no clue where they are. that’s amazing.†For Wikelski, the project to map this dynamic global system, one that has been mostly overlooked until now is no less important than the project to map the human genome. And the potential benefits could extend well beyond conservation. “Could we help African farmers guard against swarms of locusts?†he says. “Sure. We’re talking about something transformational, and it touches everything from public health to climate change.â€

Wikelski began his work in the late 1990s, tracking small animals like songbirds. His quest appeared quixotic, he admits. No one had tracked such small species before. Many assumed it couldn’t be done. Working on a shoestring budget, he once mounted a makeshift three-foot-tall antenna on an ’82 Oldsmobile and sped from Illinois to the Canadian border in pursuit of a few dozen thrushes
. “I’d show up at people’s homes at 6 a.m. and ask if I could set up mist nets in their backyard. Some people would invite me in

for coffee. Other times I’d hear a shotgun cocking behind the door. I figured i didn’t really need those data points.â€

PSC0411_HL_027-(1).jpg

Radio Flier:
Zoologists say that transmitters worn by airborne animals should weigh less than 1/20 of an individual’s weight, so its behavior isn’t altered.

Christian Ziegler

Wikelski later managed to attach radio tags to insects using a syringe plunger and false-eyelash adhesive. he also became a licensed pilot. He chased dragonflies off the coast of New Jersey, bumblebees across Germany, and monarch butterflies in Kansas. “No one had ever done this before,†he says, “so we learned something new with every migration.†Thrushes use more energy during stopovers than in flight, for example, and brown bats navigate long distances using the earth’s magnetic field, not their famous echolocation skills.

But Wikelski was still unable to track his subjects throughout the year, or across continents and oceans. To do this, he would need to create a global satellite system that could work with very small and extremely lightweight transmitters. His team set about designing a low-orbiting satellite that would hover some 248 miles above earth and thus be capable of receiving a low-frequency signal from tags weighing less than a gram. Before the team could finish that project, though, an even better opportunity presented itself.

Last year, Wikelski received permission to establish a global small-animal tracking system aboard the international space station—which conveniently orbits between 173 and 286 miles above earth. By 2014, when the system goes live, he envisions tracking a few dozen species simultaneously. That would mean

keeping an eye on tens of thousands of highly mobile individuals at any given time, each of which could supply several dozen pieces of information in real time, on everything from location to energy expenditure. If all goes according to plan, it’s hard to see how ICARUS (the International Cooperation for Animal Research Using Space) couldn’t soon begin, say, tracking avian-transmitted infectious diseases. And like GPS, which was created to help U.S. troops orient themselves in the field, ICARUS could outgrow its original mission. Daimler-Chrysler has already invested in sensors to communicate with small objects (such as car keys) aboard to the ISS.

Even after ICARUS takes flight, Wikelski plans to continue climbing into his plane and chasing birds and bees across the sky in search of data. “It’s the brute-force method,†he says. “You tag the animals, then you just have to be crazy enough to stay with them all the time."

Edited by zigoapex

• 1 month later...
Guest bobali

Jodie;

I have read to section that you suggested and don't feel that I was wrong in starting a new topic. Thank you for your suggestion anyway.

bobali

• 3 months later...
Guest Mudder

I realize that a lot of us are against the idea of luring and trapping one of these fantastic related creatures but I haven't really seen a thread about this specific idea noted below.

Let's put our heads together one more time and talk specifics of luring and trapping.

I have a simple (and perhaps dumb) idea that I'm sure many of you have also thought...

A triangle or square thick concrete room with concrete floor/ceiling on private land in non-bear country in a popular area of sasquatch sightings. I'm not sure of the cost of very thick steel but that can work too. And a concrete or steel vertical-sliding trap door. I'm thinking that a 15ft high building would suffice. Bait would be up high. Bait would be animal proof except for a 7ft tall bigfoot's armlength. Mechanism to where if the bait is pulled hard enough, the door comes down. Would need a heavy duty transportation "box" also, perhaps, after trapping. I haven't ironed it all out yet, but just an idea. The hard part would be making the bait bird-proof and insect-proof and mountain lion-proof (if in a mountain lion area). A remote alerting system would be installed to alert person of door closing.

Any ideas? My apologies if this idea comes off as juvenile.

This was already attempted to no success other than bagging a few deer and an occasional bear. The 'bigfoot trap' built in 1974 in the low accessed (at the time) Applegate Road to the dam. It is no longer in service and is in bad disrepair as no one is responsible for taking care of it. Other than the trap gate being welded open, it remains as it was when constructed except heavily vandalized. It was a thick timber built room, roughly 8 x 8 x 10h. Trap worked precisely as you describe. The gate opens much higher than shown in this picture.

http://www.flickr.co...ath/2848498616/

Edited by Boris Khan

Guest Twilight Fan

Leave Bigfoot alone. People who want to trap them don't respect them. They're better off without.

Guest Mudder

I respect your thoughts and opinions, Twilight, but it's going to happen sooner or later if bigfoot exists. It could be a good thing for their species too, I forgot to mention. Human curiosity is prone to catching one and studying it though, sooner or later, if it hasn't been done already.

It's like deja vu all over again.

Yeah, trust me, I had second thoughts about pressing the "Post" button.

Guest Twilight Fan

I respect your thoughts and opinions, Twilight, but it's going to happen sooner or later if bigfoot exists. It could be a good thing for their species too, I forgot to mention. Human curiosity is prone to catching one and studying it though, sooner or later, if it hasn't been done already.

Disagree on both counts. I think if BF has managed to avoid us for this long, he knows how to keep doing so. And "capturing and studying" Bigfoot is NOT what's best for them.

How would humans like it if aliens started beaming us up into their spaceships, taking us from our families and putting us in "study cells?" We'd hate it. And so would Bigfoot. Capturing anything is selfish on our part because we are taking that creature from its home. Unless it is sick, injured or willing...we should let them be.