What Evidence Convinces You?

georgerm

2 minutes ago, Patterson-Gimlin said:

There is   none

All of it is anecdotal and not based on facts.

The best of which is footprints and the Patterson film.

The worst is eyewitnesses , blurry films/pictures flawed or misidentified DNA samples .

Unless you're an eyewitness - up really close - full view with nothing between you but air.

This entire thing is relative.  You have zero perspective as you have zero personal up close interaction/observation - so your view is inert.  I thus discount your opinion entirely, as you know not what you speak of.

You speak of something you are inexperienced with, and unaware of.

But thank you for your opinion - I'm sure we're all challenged and refreshed by you sharing your non-basis thoughts.

• Upvote 1

Guest OntarioSquatch

Evidence that convinces me they're real

- The amount of consistency and variation across reports

- The type of consistencies (i.e. what is being described)

- Geographical and seasonal patterns

- Psychology of eyewitnesses

- The Patterson film

Evidence that they're genetically engineered (Homo sapiens)

- History of DNA results

- Hair morphology

- Abnormal strength to body weight ratio

- Dramatically improved biomechanics

- Cold weather resistance

- Presence of tapetum lucidum

- High paranoia with no evolutionary purpose

- Number of different phenotypes (black, brown, grey, blonde, white)

- Presence in forested areas trapped by urbanization

- Legitimate reports of alien craft associating with them

That should be most of it

1 hour ago, FarArcher said:

Unless you're an eyewitness - up really close - full view with nothing between you but air.

This entire thing is relative.  You have zero perspective as you have zero personal up close interaction/observation - so your view is inert.  I thus discount your opinion entirely, as you know not what you speak of.

You speak of something you are inexperienced with, and unaware of.

But thank you for your opinion - I'm sure we're all challenged and refreshed by you sharing your non-basis thoughts.

You are most welcome. Thank you for the campfire  stories . I really appreciate them.

Have a great rest of the week.

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, Patterson-Gimlin said:

You are most welcome. Thank you for the campfire  stories . I really appreciate them.

As long as you remember...that's a direct insult.  Bigfoot skepticism is as nasty a thing as I have run into, even if a lot of them may not realize it.

1 hour ago, DWA said:

As long as you remember...that's a direct insult.  Bigfoot skepticism is as nasty a thing as I have run into, even if a lot of them may not realize it.

Oh. I knew it. I just don't participate in insult slinging. Not my style. I am not nice to people because they are nice. It is because I am. 

1 hour ago, dmaker said:

Say what??

I saw that on Monsters and mysteries in America. Very amusing. 

Calling someone's experience a campfire story?  Really.  Oh.  OK.

What if I said a Ph.D in particle physics - or chemistry - does not make a scientist?  And that *I* am one?  And that both statements are not only not insults...but true?

Edited by DWA

They are just stories if can't be examined and analyzed. No insult intended. 

I would agree with you if you were right. Of course you are not. It is just your opinion that you are . Just like the same way you are convinced that the mythical creature exists because Bindernagel said so.

• Upvote 2

That's not a scientist talking.  Of COURSE I'm right.

First:  They are not 'just stories' because they can be examined and analyzed and have been, *by scientists who have shown their work.*

See?

Second, scientific training drills one in canon, and sums.  Shoot, Rain Man could do sums!  It is what one *does with them.* As the scientific proponents - and I - exemplify.

The most humble of all pronouncements is truth.  Making me not only a scientist, but the humblest poster on this site.  And as they say, the truth hurts, and the truth is what I said:  you are being insulting, and done. But a scientist would know that.

Edited by DWA

How can a scientist miss what scientists have said?

A scientist consults the evidence on all matters; speaks not without this precaution; avoids insults, particularly when they run counter to the evidence; and always speaks truth, even when it is "I don't know."  As many on this site, with arrogance consummate, loudly broadcast they don't in their insistence that they do.

Edited by DWA

1 hour ago, DWA said:

What if I said a Ph.D in particle physics - or chemistry - does not make a scientist?  And that *I* am one?  

Then that would be something we have heard ten thousand times. 

Edited by dmaker

15 hours ago, Patterson-Gimlin said:

That's all you got?  And I used to be pro-life  .  .  .

You weren't there.  You were nowhere in the vicinity.  You saw nothing of the subject - therefore you're totally ignorant of the subject.  What kind of narrow-minded, pompous jack*** would make such a determination about something they have no knowledge of?

As you're someone with a total ignorance on the subject - do you remember the last time I wanted your opinion?

Me neither.

You guys are always wrong.  Seems like every Nobel Prize Winner was ridiculed previously by those like-minded souls of the unknowing.  Seems like every major advancement and technological discovery was ridiculed and dismiss out of hand by the unknowing.  

You see, the dummies who are the unknowing, just don't know what they don't know.

I remember Otto Ovshinsky - who proposed amorphous semiconductors - and the entire world of physics, chemistry and electronics - poured on the ridicule - as they had firm calculations and all the scientific world that said - "impossible."  Well, you can go sit with those guys.

Ovshinsky was doubly ridiculed as he didn't have a degree - wasn't a physicist - wasn't a chemist - he was just the one who proved everyone wrong when his amorphous semiconductors started showing up in everyday appliances.

Unknowing is not exactly a strong position to hold on any matter - unless one is pretentiously clinging to their lack of knowledge.

Edited by FarArcher
  • Upvote 2

And to those who don't consider their behavior insulting in the extreme, I just give you ^^^an appropriate reaction to it.

From a scientist to...whatever all you might be.

"They are just stories if can't be examined and analyzed. No insult intended."

That's a misguided attempt (and wrong, and scientists know it, about any topic let alone this one) to mask contempt.  I'd be insulted. You'd get worse from me.

The true scientist knows only one answer is allowed:

I can't tell you what you saw.  I wasn't there.

Edited by DWA

8 hours ago, dmaker said:

Say what??

There are a lot of alleged accounts of BF/UFO experiences.  Below are 2, and a link to more.  ()Sorry, it's Huffpost, but you'll get the jist of it).  Enjoy!

The earliest clues date back to 1888, when a cattleman described an encounter with friendly Indians in Humboldt County, California. They led him to a cave where he saw a hefty humanoid creature covered in long, shiny black hair, with no neck, sitting cross-legged.

One Indian told him three of these “Crazy Bears” had been cast out of a small moon that dropped from the sky and landed.The “moon” then ascended back into the air. So it’s highly likely the “Crazy Bears” were really Bigfoots, and the “moon,” a spacecraft.

Now fast-forward almost 100 years to 1973... and Mrs. Reafa Heitfield. She and her 13-year-old son were sleeping in a trailer in Cincinnati, Ohio on the morning of October 21. Reafa arose at 2:30 a.m. to quench her thirst, and noticed strange lights in the adjoining parking lot. Looking out the window, her attention was drawn, in particular, to an inexplicable cone of light, shaped like a huge bubble umbrella — about seven feet in diameter.

Nearby she spotted a grayish, ape-like creature with a large, downward angled snout, no neck and a sizable waist. Moving slowly, it then entered into the light. About five minutes later, both apeman and UFO disappeared.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/dr-franklin-ruehl-phd/is-bigfoot-possibly-an-alien_b_1578844.html

• masterbarber locked this topic