On The Hunt For Sasquatch With Tracker.

Guest tracker

Guest toejam

Thought I should post about our outing at the beginning of August.

My friend had gotten to our location on the Tues. by himself. I got there on Friday.

Last year we had some exciting stuff going on around the beginning of Sept.

Two incidents of something banging on his truck. First one at 2am shortly after he went to sleep in the front seat.

Second one was on the Monday morning at 6am. I'd just woken up in my tent and my friend was sleeping in his truck close by.

I must have heard it coming through the bush and that's what woke me up. I heard two very loud limb breaks and immediately thought a moose was travelling through our camp area.

Then almost immediately There were 3 loud intentional whacks on the truck followed by two bipedal footsteps.

I won't get into the rest of the details but let's just say it was another lost opportunity for me.

He didn't want to see the face the first time it happened at 2am with nobody else around. Pitch black with just him and what is believed to be a squatch.

I really don't know what I would have done in that situation.

So we were back at the same location a couple weeks back but no blatant incidents this time.

I did get one immediate return single wood knock the first night.

There was lots of recent evidence of bear, wolf and moose in the area.

That's where I also filmed the Pine Marten which I posted in one of Tracker's threads.

There was a strange incident one night. I didn't check the time but it was before midnight.

I got up from my chair and was going through my cooler when I got a whiff of death.

Something was nearby. I immediately thought that possibly a wolf was checking out camp.

I know that dogs sometimes like to roll around on a dead carcass and figured maybe a wolf had done the same.

I'm not sure about the smells of the squatch. I know I've read wet dog, garbage, putrid smelling but can't recall reading if anyone's smelled rotting meat.

There were some twig snaps around camp throughout the weekend but nothing blatant like last time.

We did however find what looked like a possible juvenile print near a swamp area on the main logger road.

I'm still have to clean it up.

There was another strange looking print, possibly a bear print mixed with something else.

It almost looks like a hand print though and we did cast it because of this. I did take pics of that and would love to hear any theories.

We hope to get back in there same time as last years incidents which is coming up fast.

I thought I'd taken shots of the possible foot print but I guess the deer flies made me move a little quick.

I do know that there wasn't enough detail in the toe area to get me very excited.

Comments appreciated. Thanks.

T.J.

Again I double post. It'd be great if the administrators would give us the ability to delete our post for a short period after posting!

Edited by toejam

Guest tracker

Sorry but that looks like wolverine to me Tj Still it's a cool find! Were there any others maybe some impressions just inside the waters edge?

post-1001-021414000%201313013927_thumb.jpg

As far as your friend looking up at his visitor @ 2am. he would of only seen a dark shape but it would of been able to see him. Not much you can do in a situation like that when they have caught you off guard and your alone. That happened to me before except it was during the day. smile.gif

Hey I remember a report from the Adirondacks where this happen to another researcher. This guy was sleeping in his car on the side of a road. He heard taps on his roof and it woke up him up. Thinking it was a possum or raccoon and worried about damage he decided to get out of his car and scare it off. When he tried to open his door and it hit something solid so that he couldn't get out. On a second try the door swung open and out he stepped. Only then did he become aware of a very large creature less than 3 feet away looking down at him. After a few minutes it walked away. Talk about close encounters biggrin.gif

I may of screwed up a few details? but Imoncan would remember best. It was also on Chris and Steve's SD's show.

Guest toejam

Sorry but that looks like wolverine to me Tj Still it's a cool find! Were there any others maybe some impressions just inside the waters edge?

post-1001-021414000%201313013927_thumb.jpg

As far as your friend looking up at his visitor @ 2am. he would of only seen a dark shape but it would of been able to see him. Not much you can do in a situation like that when they have caught you off guard and your alone. That happened to me before except it was during the day. smile.gif

Hey I remember a report from the Adirondacks where this happen to another researcher. This guy was sleeping in his car on the side of a road. He heard taps on his roof and it woke up him up. Thinking it was a possum or raccoon and worried about damage he decided to get out of his car and scare it off. When he tried to open his door and it hit something solid so that he couldn't get out. On a second try the door swung open and out he stepped. Only then did he become aware of a very large creature less than 3 feet away looking down at him. After a few minutes it walked away. Talk about close encounters biggrin.gif

I may of screwed up a few details? but Imoncan would remember best. It was also on Chris and Steve's SD's show.

I did't really think it was a hand print. I figured Bear mixed with another print. There weren't any other identifiable prints.

I looked up Wolverine prints and I don't know, doesn't quite look right to me. If it was a Wolverine that would be very cool. Never seen one of those!

Anyways, I have a cast to be looked at by someone who knows better. Maybe you can check it out one of these days.

As far as an encounter like that, wow! That would scare the shite outta me!

On another note, yesterday I had the day off work. Tomorrow as well :o) Slow time of year.

Anyways I went into my two vocal encounter location in the morning. Not much going on but at one point I did have something very interesting happen that may them back in the area!

I was walking down a trail when I heard a HUGE limb break maybe 40/50yds away. I'd been doing some knocks throughout my walk letting them know I was there if they were in the area.

I was recording at the time so hopefully there's good clarity on the recording when I listen back.

I sat down on a log for a half hour or so waiting to see if anything else would happen but notta.

Two years in a row then nothing last year in there. I'm hoping that this year produces some excitement in there.

I'll be heading back in either tonight or early in the morning to see if I get any other action.

Guest tracker

I did't really think it was a hand print. I figured Bear mixed with another print. There weren't any other identifiable prints.

I looked up Wolverine prints and I don't know, doesn't quite look right to me. If it was a Wolverine that would be very cool. Never seen one of those!

Anyways, I have a cast to be looked at by someone who knows better. Maybe you can check it out one of these days.

As far as an encounter like that, wow! That would scare the shite outta me!

On another note, yesterday I had the day off work. Tomorrow as well :o) Slow time of year.

Anyways I went into my two vocal encounter location in the morning. Not much going on but at one point I did have something very interesting happen that may them back in the area!

I was walking down a trail when I heard a HUGE limb break maybe 40/50yds away. I'd been doing some knocks throughout my walk letting them know I was there if they were in the area.

I was recording at the time so hopefully there's good clarity on the recording when I listen back.

I sat down on a log for a half hour or so waiting to see if anything else would happen but notta.

Two years in a row then nothing last year in there. I'm hoping that this year produces some excitement in there.

I'll be heading back in either tonight or early in the morning to see if I get any other action.

The mud has collapse but a wolv print is what comes to mind. I've seen a road kill but a friend has seen them up near me. Good luck this weekend. wink.gif

Guest toejam

Thanks Tracker. I hope it is a wolverine print. That'd be great! I'd love to photograph one.

Well I spent the last couple days looking around my usual area and the other day had a big tree break close by while walking a trail.

After what I found yesterday I have a very strong feeling they're back. They meaning the two I've run into on a few occasions in the last 3 years.

I've put a substantial amount of time and effort in pursuing them after my initial close vocal encounter.

Enough that I know the area pretty good and anything new that pops up is sure to be detected by me sooner or later.

Well yesterday I found two new structures. The first one being very close to a couple others I've photographed in the past.

Prior to activity in 09 there was a crude add on to one of the structures and it wasn't long afterwards that things started to happen.

Last year went by without any blatant incidents but with the amount of time I've spent in there I felt they'd be around again.

I've been really hoping for some excitement in the area this year.

Structures puzzle me. I never know what to think. Was it a human or was it a BF?

When I see a tree break/twist like I found yesterday with a healthy tree full of green leaves laying on the ground, I'm inclined to think that they're in the area again.

Maybe they always are but only get very active this time of year. I don't know. Maybe they only come through the area every so often.

Whatever the truth is, I can only persist.

I believe the tree break close to me the other day was them and they were watching.

They definitely know who I am. I've put in 3 years of consistent effort into initiating an encounter.

Yesterday I got very excited to see the tree twist/break and find the new structures.

I'll be spending as much time as possible in the next couple months in there.

Here's what I found yesterday. These were taken with my mini dv cam so the quality isn't great. I'll be taking my good camera in to photograph them again.

Edited by toejam

Guest tracker

Thanks Tracker. I hope it is a wolverine print. That'd be great! I'd love to photograph one.

Well I spent the last couple days looking around my usual area and the other day had a big tree break close by while walking a trail.

After what I found yesterday I have a very strong feeling they're back. They meaning the two I've run into on a few occasions in the last 3 years.

I've put a substantial amount of time and effort in pursuing them after my initial close vocal encounter.

Enough that I know the area pretty good and anything new that pops up is sure to be detected by me sooner or later.

Well yesterday I found two new structures. The first one being very close to a couple others I've photographed in the past.

Prior to activity in 09 there was a crude add on to one of the structures and it wasn't long afterwards that things started to happen.

Last year went by without any blatant incidents but with the amount of time I've spent in there I felt they'd be around again.

I've been really hoping for some excitement in the area this year.

Structures puzzle me. I never know what to think. Was it a human or was it a BF?

When I see a tree break/twist like I found yesterday with a healthy tree full of green leaves laying on the ground, I'm inclined to think that they're in the area again.

Maybe they always are but only get very active this time of year. I don't know. Maybe they only come through the area every so often.

Whatever the truth is, I can only persist.

I believe the tree break close to me the other day was them and they were watching.

They definitely know who I am. I've put in 3 years of consistent effort into initiating an encounter.

Yesterday I got very excited to see the tree twist/break and find the new structures.

I'll be spending as much time as possible in the next couple months in there.

Here's what I found yesterday. These were taken with my mini dv cam so the quality isn't great. I'll be taking my good camera in to photograph them again.

I like those tree breaks but with the structures I never know? that tepee one looks almost too good? not sure if i could even do one that good? huh.gif Any arches, prints, scat and hair in the area? or any tell tale Bf related sounds?

Are you staying up all night? their playtime usually happens very late or earlier in the morning smile.gif

Guest toejam

I like those tree breaks but with the structures I never know? that tepee one looks almost too good? not sure if i could even do one that good? huh.gif Any arches, prints, scat and hair in the area? or any tell tale Bf related sounds?

Are you staying up all night? their playtime usually happens very late or earlier in the morning smile.gif

Yeah I know the one structure looks way too good and if it wasn't for the tree break I wouldn't think anything of it.

As far as arches, they're all over the place. I've run into a pair of what I'm convinced are BF on several occasions over 3 years now so I know they come through here at one point or another.

I've only been doing daytime outings at this point but that's going to change very soon.

Two vocal encounters I've experienced happened at 4:30pm and 7am so anytime is a good time IMO.

No prints or scat yet.

The smaller structure is near two others that I keep an eye on. The big one has been moved and changed about several times over a few years.

The big one has to be kids or someone. The smaller one I'm not so sure about.

It's a good area for them though. Access to fish, deer, lots of berries at the moment, stream running through the area and lots of room to hide.

I'm going back today to take some more photos for my collection.

Curious - when you examine these structures (like the teepee for instance), any indication these are being used? For example, evidence of bedding material, or hair?

Great thread...

Guest toejam

Curious - when you examine these structures (like the teepee for instance), any indication these are being used? For example, evidence of bedding material, or hair?

Great thread...

I've found numerous throughout the last 3 years and I have found one in the area that had a fire ring in front of it.

That one was easily identifiable as human made. It was way too perfect.

I've found I'd say close to a dozen structures and only that one had been used.

The others for the most part are next to trails and couldn't have been used as a shelter or blind. They just don't make sense.

My eyes aren't the greatest so I don't spend much time looking for hair. I look it over but don't spend much time at it.

I tend to think that they could be a territorial marker.

It always seems to be around this time of year when I find new ones.

I found a crude add on to a structure a couple years back just prior to another class B encounter.

Even though they may all be made by us, it's the class B encounters that keep me going back.

Personally I think some of them may be related to the big guys.

I was more excited to find the tree break yesterday.

That with the new structure (smaller one) I'm thinking maybe they're back in the area.

Persistence will hopefully give me an answer.

Guest tracker

I've found numerous throughout the last 3 years and I have found one in the area that had a fire ring in front of it.

That one was easily identifiable as human made. It was way too perfect.

I've found I'd say close to a dozen structures and only that one had been used.

The others for the most part are next to trails and couldn't have been used as a shelter or blind. They just don't make sense.

My eyes aren't the greatest so I don't spend much time looking for hair. I look it over but don't spend much time at it.

I tend to think that they could be a territorial marker.

It always seems to be around this time of year when I find new ones.

I found a crude add on to a structure a couple years back just prior to another class B encounter.

Even though they may all be made by us, it's the class B encounters that keep me going back.

Personally I think some of them may be related to the big guys.

I was more excited to find the tree break yesterday.

That with the new structure (smaller one) I'm thinking maybe they're back in the area.

Persistence will hopefully give me an answer.

Yea just keep on plugging away Tj, maybe widen your perimeter and put some peanut butter in a central location? smile.gif

I struck out over in escarpment country this weekend. sorry no pics. dry.gif

Toe jam,

That tree break is interesting!

When we first moved to our property, I jokingly told Skip that we landed in BF heaven because of all the arches and stick structures.

We knew from family (in the general vicinity) that the past few winters before we moved here, involved lots of ice and snow and we noticed a lot of really cool arches and what appeared to be tree branch structures. Have since ruled most of them out because of the prior storm damage due to the aging of the wood and finding the proper trees in the direct vicinity but once in a while we'll come across something that makes us really wonder, mainly fresh tree breaks that shouldn't/couldn't have been caused by weather, due to lack of any type weather or freshly downed tree/s that could have caused it.

As far as my research is concerned, there have been reported sightings in all of the surrounding counties but none in ours, yet there's plenty of fresh water (ponds, springs, streams, creeks and not far from a river) not to mention plenty of wild life and wild berries, nut trees, etc...

Thanks for sharing!

Bit

Guest toejam

Toe jam,

That tree break is interesting!

When we first moved to our property, I jokingly told Skip that we landed in BF heaven because of all the arches and stick structures.

We knew from family (in the general vicinity) that the past few winters before we moved here, involved lots of ice and snow and we noticed a lot of really cool arches and what appeared to be tree branch structures. Have since ruled most of them out because of the prior storm damage due to the aging of the wood and finding the proper trees in the direct vicinity but once in a while we'll come across something that makes us really wonder, mainly fresh tree breaks that shouldn't/couldn't have been caused by weather, due to lack of any type weather or freshly downed tree/s that could have caused it.

As far as my research is concerned, there have been reported sightings in all of the surrounding counties but none in ours, yet there's plenty of fresh water (ponds, springs, streams, creeks and not far from a river) not to mention plenty of wild life and wild berries, nut trees, etc...

Thanks for sharing!

Bit

Thanks Bit. Yeah I'm just itch'n to get back in there! Work gets in the way sometimes :lol:

As far as arches go, unless it's locked down on the end, I don't even give it a second glance.

There's tons of arches in this area I visit.

The tree break has me a little excited though. I've put in much effort after my first B encounter in there

and it paid of with a second and third in a year.

Just cause there's no sightings in your area, that doesn't mean a thing IMO.

As long as the food, water and foliage is there for cover, you're good to go.

If people frequent the area, that doesn't stop them either.

Maybe put an audio recorder out overnight if you're able to.

It's definitely the right time. Cheers

T.J.

Edit: I went back and took more shots of the tree break with my good camera gear. It's actually right where I had my first vocal encounter.

The tree break was at the bottom of a ridge at a trail crossing.

Edited by toejam

Guest toejam

Yea just keep on plugging away Tj, maybe widen your perimeter and put some peanut butter in a central location? smile.gif

I struck out over in escarpment country this weekend. sorry no pics. dry.gif

Hey Tracker, what part of the Escarpment area were you in? Just wondering if you were down my end of town.

Don't worry, I'm full on at this time of year. I'm in my area as much as possible.

Actually found the Goshawks again for the third year. Got a little video footage.

The young had just fledged and were calling out to each other.

I made my way towards the calls and eventually found a couple of them.

Couldn't get any really good views though. A couple quick glances, that was it.

A very elusive forest dweller.

Guest tracker

Hey Tracker, what part of the Escarpment area were you in? Just wondering if you were down my end of town.

Don't worry, I'm full on at this time of year. I'm in my area as much as possible.

Actually found the Goshawks again for the third year. Got a little video footage.

The young had just fledged and were calling out to each other.

I made my way towards the calls and eventually found a couple of them.

Couldn't get any really good views though. A couple quick glances, that was it.

A very elusive forest dweller.

It was a very brief scouting trip near the Milton region. I was in the area for other reasons and just took a look at the lay of the land. Lots of promise with all those big ridges and tree cover. Soon i be heading north more frequently since the weather has cooled off. It feels like early autumn over here now. Now if only the tourist would leave early? dry.gif

Hey post your Goshawk vid in share a picture.

Guest toejam

It was a very brief scouting trip near the Milton region. I was in the area for other reasons and just took a look at the lay of the land. Lots of promise with all those big ridges and tree cover. Soon i be heading north more frequently since the weather has cooled off. It feels like early autumn over here now. Now if only the tourist would leave early? dry.gif

Hey post your Goshawk vid in share a picture.

I checked out that T intersection area you may have gone too where a trucker saw one walking towards him 50ft. away at 5:30am.

Yeah some good bush in that area.

Will post the Goshawk for sure. Soon as I edit and upload. Cheers

T.J.