Need Help In Central Texas.........

Bigtex

Thanks people booger, she really is quite amazing, and a fantastic animal to hike with. It's like having a child, not a dog.......her smarts are off the charts compared to my other pups......it's all about the Pack with Wolfy.

Picture of Lucy playing with my son, and to her a brother..........he makes little cities, and the 'giant wolf' comes along and wrecks them, what fun!

post-193-0-99350100-1355327920_thumb.jpg

She's a Rat Terrier......a real country dog, and a terror to small wild game. She has killed mice, rats, rabbits, lizards, and squirrels. The Wolfy & Ridgeback are scared of her, and she rules the pack.......it's hilarious how tuff she can be. The Cat in the last picture she found and mothered from a kitten.......those two were best buddies, but Coyotes got the cat on night.

post-193-0-72574700-1355508423_thumb.jpg

post-193-0-72599900-1355508442_thumb.jpg

post-193-0-70400200-1355508460_thumb.jpg

post-193-0-56077400-1355508513_thumb.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Our friends in Pennsylvania have a Jack Russell and he was wicked smart and definitely thought he was a Big Dog!

Look forward to more.

I'm also going to try to do what you are doing, in my own way. You've been an inspiration :)

Happy New Year!

Thanks Madison, glad I could inspire somebody!

Haven't been hiking or keeping up here at the Forums in a while........my 88 year old Father passed away over Christmas, and have been up in Dallas getting my Mom situated.

I will be catching up on 'the quest' this week, had some good rain over the weekend, and there should be some new good sign out there......hiking a day or 3 after a rain is my favorite!

Guest Cervelo

I would like to offer my condolence's for your loss.

Looking forward to hearing about your new approaches or tactics!

I am also sorry for your loss.

Know what you mean about being excited to "get back out there" - I've been dealing with a heel spur and plantar fasciatis and it's finally feeling better to walk on. I don't appreciate the absence of pain enough!

Hey JenJen......I've heard many vocalizations over the years, mostly the long drawn out yells/howls. The ones I've heard didn't seem territorial, but more like a call to see if other BF's were in the area. On one occasion, I surprised at least 3 at night, with the lead creature roaring at me when they discovered me.....the lung power & amount of air being moved was amazing. After the roar, the 3 creatures located in different areas, began to imitate a Barred Owl back & forth for 2 or 3 minutes before all becoming silent......that's when I decided to make a large camp fire, it was creepy.

Guest JenJen of Oldstones

Whoa, that sounds scary! Another thing I wanted to ask you about is, do you ever find trails that you think were made by them? If so, what do they look like? On another forum I read a little bit of discussion about BF trails, but couldn't find anything specific about how to identify a trail as such. Thanks!

Hi Big Tex,

So sorry to hear of your loss. You were so fortunate to have your father as long as you did. I hope your Mom is doing OK. She must be very grateful for your being there for her.

I think when we lose a parent as an adult, it brings us up smack dab against our own mortality. It can be a shock on many levels.

On a happier note, I love the pictures and stories about your pack.

The antics of your rat terrier must be a constant source of fun. What is her name?

I have been meaning to ask you about a comment you made in another thread that you had experienced BF activity around your home.

Was that in Texas or here in Washington?

Jan

Thanks for the kind words JanV, and very much appreciated!

My Ratty-tat Terrier's name is Isabel, and we usually call her Izzy......she's quite something, and an excellent woods dog.

Since I live in Texas, most of my 'action' is here in Texas, even though the PNW is always good when I am there.

In town activity seems to be centered on nightly trash-bin raids, as each house has one. This all started, for me anyway, as something else. For months, I would come out to my truck in the morning, and my side mirror would be pushed forward or back, depending on which way my truck was facing. Older truck, so had to adjust the mirrors back by hand, and was starting to drive me crazy - yelled at the wife, kids, friends, and neighbors, but it continued. One morning, and after a light rain, I came out and went over to adjust the mirror. This is a big mirror, and to my shock, there was a huge muddy partial hand print on the mirror, showing 3 fingers. Consisted of their initial point of contact, and their slide across the mirror as it must have slapped it back. The fingers were absolutely huge and squared at the ends, with 3 perfect fingerprints unlike anything I have ever seen before, not the typical human swirl pattern either. I called my buddy Jimmy Chilcutt (fingerprint expert), and made arrangements to send him the mirror. Of course, the 'Bigfoot Curse' struck that night with high winds & rain, blowing the protective cover off the mirror (shown in picture), and washing out the print. Luckily, several friends and family members saw the hand print, and all were amazed. I took several pictures of it, but just couldn't get a good one due to the reflective properties of the mirror. The BF must love Pizza too, as he/she would carefully remove the thrown away slices still in the box, and carefully close the box.....which would rule out any other animal species. He/she was coming from a wooded area on the side of my house, raid the trash bin, and would walk between my two vehicles out towards the street, and a wooded area across from me.

post-193-223293_thumb.jpg

post-193-268239_thumb.jpg

Edited by Bigtex

Guest JenJen of Oldstones

Oh, please post your pictures of the fingerprints, even if you don't think they're very good!

Also, I'm so sorry, I just now noticed your earlier post that your father had passed away over Christmas. My condolences to you. My 89-year old granny passed away on Christmas Day, and I loved her so much, so I can imagine how you must be grieving. It's so strange... My elderly friend's wife also passed away shortly after Christmas, and I believe she was in her late 80s too. I like to think there is some sort of meet and greet of the recently departed, wherever the souls meet up in the afterlife, and that maybe all these elders are making new friends with each other, while they wait for the rest of us. Can you imagine! "It's so nice to meet you! Let me introduce you to my mother, she passed away in 1993.."

Hey JenJen.......to answer your question about BF trails, I usually hike game trials, as they are more remote, and have purpose. I don't really pay much mind to tree/limb breaks unless they are in a logical progression, and there is a notable distance involved. We have a lot of Juniper trees here in Texas, they have low branches, and are relatively easy to snap. The trails that I attribute to Bigfoot seem to follow the same pattern; the branches that are broken are very high, well above my reach, and the breaks seem more like markers than clearing a path. You have to really look up to find them, as they are out of most folks field of normal vision. I start paying attention after I find 15 or more of these high breaks along game trails. The way they are broken is unique too. All in one motion, they seem to have been grabbed, crushed, and twisted down......very distinct. Here are some pictures along one of these trails.

post-193-0-25369400-1358376081_thumb.jpg

post-193-0-86161200-1358376092_thumb.jpg

post-193-0-72083300-1358376107_thumb.jpg

post-193-0-40477800-1358376124_thumb.jpg

post-193-0-94692400-1358376162_thumb.jpg

• gigantor unlocked and featured this topic
  • gigantor unlocked this topic
  • gigantor unfeatured this topic
  • gigantor unpinned this topic
  • gigantor unlocked and pinned this topic
  • gigantor unlocked and pinned this topic
  • gigantor featured this topic