Need Help In Central Texas.........

Bigtex

Hi Big Tex,

Why do the junipers with the nests look so dead? Has the whole area been devastated by drought?

Where do the BF go during these times, do you have any theories?

Izzy doesn't look concerned about going into the structure, could the smell be long gone?

Lastly, have you found any structures where the dogs will not go in or near?

Guest Thepattywagon

The snake eating cat pic is of a carpet python and was taken in Australia.

Ah..thanks, Wud! I thought it might have been a bit too colorful for a Pine snake. Now I know why.

I should have researched that pic some more.

Like I said......I didn't take the kitty/snake picture, a friend sent to me, but it is amazing, where ever it was taken.

JenJen, I would certainly think the BF's would use the greenbelts in Austin at night to get around, but with the human traffic, just don't think you will find much sign, they seem to be very careful in these type of areas.

Hey JanV.......found that 'Hotel' 6 years ago when we were having normal rains, and everything was much greener in this area. The drought has devastated the forests around here the last 5 years. There were beautiful Maple trees all along the creek beds all over the hill country, but the lack of rain, and no water in the creeks have already killed 90% of them, the rest are in distress & will die soon.......very sad.

Here's a once beautiful and large Maple, now dead. The grassy area behind the tree used to be a small lake, that finally dried up after 60+ years.......due to the drought.

Here's the picture.......didn't make it first time.

post-193-0-91231900-1359223620_thumb.jpg

Like I said......I didn't take the kitty/snake picture, a friend sent to me, but it is amazing, where ever it was taken.

JenJen, I would certainly think the BF's would use the greenbelts in Austin at night to get around, but with the human traffic, just don't think you will find much sign, they seem to be very careful in these type of areas.

Hey JanV.......found that 'Hotel' 6 years ago when we were having normal rains, and everything was much greener in this area. The drought has devastated the forests around here the last 5 years. There were beautiful Maple trees all along the creek beds all over the hill country, but the lack of rain, and no water in the creeks have already killed 90% of them, the rest are in distress & will die soon.......very sad.

Oops!

So sad about the drought. Has BF left the area now? Where would they go?

Edited by JanV

The BF's seem to be still around, there's water & game, but my guess is they stay closer to the Hunting areas during season, and the gut piles.

Nice hike today, and 82 dang degrees.......crazy for this time of year.

Here are a couple of recent prints that I found today, and smaller than my size 10. Most of the tracks that I find in Central Texas are around my size or smaller. If they are human, then they aren't wearing shoes in these remote areas. I often wonder about this, and have come up with 2 possibilities if they are BF prints, which I believe they are. One, these are younger Bigfoot's, and like human kids, they aren't as careful as the adults about leaving tracks. Two, a lot of Native Americans often speak of two creatures, the classic 'Big Boy', and a smaller species........could this be the case? When Native Americans talk about these things, I always listen, since they really don't have (hidden) agendas:)

post-193-0-04902300-1359500121_thumb.jpg

post-193-0-89831600-1359500139_thumb.jpg

Edited by Bigtex

There's always a good supply of downed trees laying around the woods, and most busted into larger pieces when they fall. I always look at these in the areas that I hike, and especially near creeks and/or damp places. They get nice grubs and other tasty insects both inside and under where they lay. Most are chewed, scratched, and torn up in place, but sometimes they are neatly rolled over. Here's one that was rolled, and notice the fresh material where the hand with finger nails pulled the older bark off as it was flipping it over.......large hand too. No way I could do this with one hand, and the amount of old bark pulled off shows the energy behind the pull. Several in the area were rolled over exactly the same, but none of the others showed the fresh markings.

post-193-0-93386400-1360008260_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Great weather for hiking yesterday in Central Texas, could have stayed out all day if I had the time.

First pictures are off a natural spring that I take the dogs to, and some fresh prints there. First picture shows the spring and 3 tracks; a big one, and two smaller ones from the same individual, one heading down to the spring, and the other print heading out. I included close-ups of both the larger and smaller prints.

And after two years plus, there is finally water in the hidden lake, and pictured several times throughout this thread. However, the state of the woods remains poor, with many trees dead on in serious distress, and 95% of the Maples that I find are already dead. And finally, a picture of the dogs at a beautiful tri-Fall area along one of the creeks I hike.

post-193-0-25933100-1361204414_thumb.jpg

post-193-0-20227900-1361204495_thumb.jpg

post-193-0-88440300-1361204522_thumb.jpg

post-193-0-00831400-1361204623_thumb.jpg

post-193-0-41607700-1361204646_thumb.jpg

Hi Big Tex!

Glad to hear from you. Do you have any plans to camp out there or set up cameras? I am wondering if the track maker would put in a repeat appearance.

Hey JanV.......there is definitely ongoing activity at the Spring pictured above, and have found tracks there quite often. It would make a good spot to stake out for sure, and might just do that when the nightly weather warms a bit.

Guest JenJen of Oldstones

I can't believe how beautiful that lake is! I really hope you go camping out there! I'm sure you'll have lots of interesting things to report if you do spend a few nights in that spot.

Just got back from a nice hike......but was more about archaeology today. There is quite a bit of subtle evidence in this one area of a rather large pioneer settlement that was violently destroyed. Fire alone wouldn't create the devastation, and must have been some kind of attack, Indian would be my guess. Very little is left or even discernible, and easy to walk right by without notice. It is the half buried and scattered foundation stones, and a few early concrete pieces that catch my attention. Today I bush-whacked through a new area, and came upon a small homestead site, where a simple one room wooden structure once stood - IMO. It showed signs of being burned, high heat, and the foundation stones were broken and scattered.......my guess was to discourage future settlers from re-using the stone foundations.......stuff was smashed up with purpose.

Here are some pictures - foundation pieces both cut stone and old concrete, and what appeared to be an old grave, with a partially covered head stone. Picture is not very good, but the raised portion was completely lined in stone, even though parts are covered with vegetation, you could tell.

I need to hurry up and get my metal detector!

post-193-0-34146900-1361308443_thumb.jpg

post-193-0-67080300-1361308507_thumb.jpg

post-193-0-05165100-1361308536_thumb.jpg

post-193-0-74558600-1361308556_thumb.jpg

Hey Big Tex, been a long time. I think I am back to stay on BFF and KB Hunter brought me back. Hope things are going really well. Some things have happened since I went away and got a lot better feel for things these days. I will reread this in time and get back in the saddle. Great luck in all your exchanges and field trips. TK

• gigantor unlocked and featured this topic
  • gigantor unlocked this topic
  • gigantor unfeatured this topic
  • gigantor unpinned this topic
  • gigantor unlocked and pinned this topic
  • gigantor unlocked and pinned this topic
  • gigantor featured this topic
  • gigantor unfeatured and featured this topic