Need Help In Central Texas.........

Bigtex

Here's a really strange impression with what looks like 3 claws......there were a few more weird impressions before and after, any ideas folks what phenom would create this? If it breathes, I wanna steer clear of it:)

And two from the archives, I just love these pictures, and had to re-post.

post-193-0-19560500-1441908256_thumb.jpg

post-193-0-12099900-1441908277_thumb.jpg

post-193-0-48947200-1441908510_thumb.jpg

BFF Patron

Dinosaur? Only think I know that is that big and has three toes.

My first impression was Dinosaur too, but no chance of that, and certainly one of the strangest things I've seen in a while. There were some other partials and disturbances coming from a restricted area with a fence, the one pictured was the most complete. What happened to the grass, anything leaving a track would just mat it down? The impressions came & went back to the restricted area, seemingly stepping over the fence, about 15' in to a Live Oak, turned around, and went back over the fence to the restricted area......WTF?

BFF Patron

What kind of restricted area? Are we talking government facility? Alien that got away from the Government? Only half kidding. Three toes and short foot are not exactly what one would expect to find on this planet at least for 65 million years.

Edited by SWWASASQUATCHPROJECT

No kidding......JurasicLago! It's a fairly substantial fence, and runs around the perimeter of one of the cities in-ground water holding tanks.

TGIF........so we can have a little fun speculating about the strange impression above, what about this bad boy, check out the foot.......The Giant Ground Sloth! Don't worry, one mystery is enough for me. FYI.....they have been reported in Texas:) The tracks did go to a specific tree, like the second picture. 

post-193-0-50227600-1441987733_thumb.jpg

post-193-0-43056700-1441987747_thumb.jpg

Edited by Bigtex

• 2 weeks later...

Three words......Hot, Dry, and Lazy, hadn't been out in 2+ weeks, wolfy is about to chew my leg off! Waiting on some rain and cooler temps......see you guys soon:)

I felt bad as soon as I wrote the word 'LAZY' above.......loaded up the pups, and headed to the woods. It was getting hot, but had a great hike.

Found something interesting, and hadn't noticed before. I have posted pics before of alleged BF Trails, and commented about how the trails seem to go from one noticeable landmark to another, and usually a large tree in this area. Was heading down a BF Trial, and stopped under a large Juniper for a water break, and noticed a fist sized rock wedged about 9 feet up in the tree. It seemed very out of place and deliberate to me, and shown below.  

I will start paying more attention 'UP', so much looking down & around (snakes), it's hard to remember to look up every once in a while:)  

post-193-0-43438700-1443201970_thumb.jpg

post-193-0-11100800-1443202030_thumb.jpg

BFF Patron

Interesting!   Very similar to the rock on stump thing here that seems to define BF trails.    They are so used to the natural environment that any marker like that would stand out to them like a red flag does to us.

I agree, it means something......looks like it was put way up there as a subtle signal to other BF's that it's an active trail, who knows. Now I can't wait to get back out there, heading down their trails, and looking for rocks in marker tress.

Also......notice the picture above showing the large Juniper, BF Trial just to the left, but also notice the short haired Izzy panting heavily from the heat.......not the Wolf, amazing animal the way she can stay cool and the others not so much.

BFF Patron

I have to keep reminding myself to look up.   Our minds are just not programmed to look into trees for threats or interesting things.   That cougar that jumped off the cliff right in front of me two weeks ago  I probably would not have noticed although as I rode along I was mindful of the high ground to my left.   Rough rocky road and I had to watch where I was going.     I went out to eat with some relatives last night and as I drove down the road near my house after dark something that looked very cougar like (color and size) ran down the road ahead of me.    Makes me wonder if I should be packing all the time.    I have stopped taking out the garbage after dark.    Both a cougar and bobcat in my back yard in the last year.   My neighbor had two big raccoons challenge him in his back yard recently.   He has gone paranoid and I have seen him patrolling his back yard with a shotgun recently.   

Interesting about the rock. I have seen rocks on stumps as SWWSP mentioned. Never really thought much about it. I did notice on my recent hunting trip I just returned from that big cats like big western red cedars (8-10 ft in dia.). The first one I found showed big claw marks in the bark, which probably holds claws well. Made me look up and check out the big limbs a hundred feet off the ground. Probably a good place to take a nap and see below as well. Made me kind of nervous. I noticed it on other cedars I found as well.

I looked at that print you posted above. I noticed a couple things. It appears there was no pressure placed on the imprint. The small rocks aren't pressed into the ground. The grass is gone but looks like it is regrowing. It's almost as if something was poured on the ground there that killed the grass. But it is odd that the grass looks like it was removed from that spot. Haven't got a clue what could do that. Very curious. I suppose acid could do that but why or where would that come from?

Hey BTW......ditto on the 'print', or whatever it was......there were a few of them, that was the best one, but nothing about the formation adds up to a print......where's the grass, should be matted, not gone? I would have just passed them by as something eating and/or digging around if it weren't for the 3 impressions that seemed to form the toes/claws, that was the feature that got my attention. It's just one of those weird & interesting things you find in the woods.

BFF Patron

I was talking to someone at a recent BF meeting and she mentioned the group of three thing with rocks on stumps.    The same thing I have observed.        Mind you this is being found in two different states over 100 miles apart.       For some reason it would seem that 3 has some significance to BF.     She also mentioned sticks stuck into the ground in groups of three.      Each stick was pushed into the ground and exactly 7 inches showed above the ground.     There was so little variation that it seemed obvious that something had measured the height of the sticks above ground,   I suggested that it might be the length of an adult BF finger.    I wonder if we will ever figure out what this stuff is all about?  

Edited by SWWASASQUATCHPROJECT

• gigantor unlocked and featured this topic
  • gigantor unlocked this topic
  • gigantor unfeatured this topic
  • gigantor unpinned this topic
  • gigantor unlocked and pinned this topic
  • gigantor unlocked and pinned this topic
  • gigantor featured this topic
  • gigantor unfeatured and featured this topic