Specialized Vehicles Used By Forum Members

Guest Lesmore

Guest Lesmore

A lot of country where BF reports come from are of course in the isolated areas.

Many BF enthusiasts are also outdoors...men and women.

What kind of vehicle do you have that enables you to:

• Get through difficult roads...in some cases, no roads, rudimentary trails
  • Sleeping / Living accommodations on board...like a truck camper , etc.

I've always thought a 3/4 ton, one ton pickup with a truck camper with 4 WD and locking rear axle...winch front and back...or a Quigley 4WD, Ford or Chevy full size 4WD, camper van, would be a great unit. As with any vehicle, you could just go so far...then it's a walking trek. But it would be good for a base camp, fairly secure carrier and storage for equipment, etc.

Anybody have specialized vehicles...or do you have a vehicle wish list, that you could review.

I don't go "squatching, but I use a 1989 Dodge 3/4 ton 4x4 (Cummins diesel) with a 1989 Mitchell cabover camper as my heavy rig for hunting/fishing trips. It is the rig I use to get from my home to the trailhead or road-system campground. If I go remote, I use a 2000 Argo Response 8x8 (carried behind the truck/camper on a dual axle flatbed trailer). The Argo doesn't have a cab or windshield. I always thought that would get in the way in heavy brush/woodlands. I tow a "meat trailer" behind the Argo with camping gear. The Argo can haul in a very comfortable camp with enough gear/food for weeks, and still be able to haul out a whole field dressed moose (600 or more lbs).

Guest Lesmore

I don't go "squatching, but I use a 1989 Dodge 3/4 ton 4x4 (Cummins diesel) with a 1989 Mitchell cabover camper as my heavy rig for hunting/fishing trips. It is the rig I use to get from my home to the trailhead or road-system campground. If I go remote, I use a 2000 Argo Response 8x8 (carried behind the truck/camper on a dual axle flatbed trailer). The Argo doesn't have a cab or windshield. I always thought that would get in the way in heavy brush/woodlands. I tow a "meat trailer" behind the Argo with camping gear. The Argo can haul in a very comfortable camp with enough gear/food for weeks, and still be able to haul out a whole field dressed moose (600 or more lbs).

I have always been a fan of the Dodge 2500 with the 5.9 liter Cummins B series diesel...I see you have the old 12 valver. Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't '89 the first year...or thereabouts for the Cummins diesel in the Dodge pickup ?

I have driven a 2006 Dodge 2500 HD with the Cummins and auto transmission...4WD...what a truck and what a torque rich engine. Best diesel in a pickup says me and I'm a Chevy guy.

I'm also familiar with the Argo...my son when he was about 5 , wanted one for the family...so he could get to school...they float, they go anywhere ...they're great. Are they Canadian made ? :)

Very good equipment...some wise choices. I'm not familiar with the Mitchell...will have to check it out.

I have always been a fan of the Dodge 2500 with the 5.9 liter Cummins B series diesel...I see you have the old 12 valver. Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't '89 the first year...or thereabouts for the Cummins diesel in the Dodge pickup ?

Yup. First year. I don't think it has the power of the 24 valvers, but it still pulls well. The old Torqueflite 727 tranny works well. It takes the torque without a problem. I installed an engine brake on it, which helps dramatically when at highway speeds, fully loaded, with heavy trailer, and going downhill.

When unloaded, the truck gets about 19 mpg, and when fully loaded, in 4x4 (in the winter), and driving uphill (about a 100 mile trip from sea level to 3,000 feet), it will get about 13 mpg.

Top speed appears to be 75 mph, which is fine for Alaskan roads (max speed limit in Alaska is 65 mph, but most areas are 55 mph just because they're narrow, curvey, shoulder-less roadways).

I have driven a 2006 Dodge 2500 HD with the Cummins and auto transmission...4WD...what a truck and what a torque rich engine. Best diesel in a pickup says me and I'm a Chevy guy.

Lots of us like to say we bought a Cummins diesel with a Dodge wrapped around it. :D

I'm also familiar with the Argo...my son when he was about 5 , wanted one for the family...so he could get to school...they float, they go anywhere ...they're great. Are they Canadian made ? :)

Yup, Canadian made. The newer Avenger models are the way to go, but EXPENSIVE! I'm happy with mine.

Very good equipment...some wise choices. I'm not familiar with the Mitchell...will have to check it out.

The Mitchell is not a popular brand, but for it's age, it's held up well. I would like to get a Bigfoot camper (again, Canadian made) because they are famous for being built for cold winter use, but again; SUPER EXPENSIVE! If I can find an older model that is reasonably priced, I'll get it, but that will likely be down in the states or western Canada. Here in Alaska, even used Bigfoot campers go for a small fortune. They are really popular.

Guest Lesmore

Yup. First year. I don't think it has the power of the 24 valvers, but it still pulls well. The old Torqueflite 727 tranny works well. It takes the torque without a problem. I installed an engine brake on it, which helps dramatically when at highway speeds, fully loaded, with heavy trailer, and going downhill.

When unloaded, the truck gets about 19 mpg, and when fully loaded, in 4x4 (in the winter), and driving uphill (about a 100 mile trip from sea level to 3,000 feet), it will get about 13 mpg.

Top speed appears to be 75 mph, which is fine for Alaskan roads (max speed limit in Alaska is 65 mph, but most areas are 55 mph just because they're narrow, curvey, shoulder-less roadways).

I saw an older...somewhere around '89-early 90's...your generation of Dodge...the other day..4WD, Cummins...moving out well during the snowstorm we were having. Considering how well built the Cummins B series is and also the fact that it's really a commercial medium duty truck engine, it should last forever in your 3/4 ton.

I used to be involved with muscle cars, drag racing decades ago...the Torqueflite both the 727 and I think the other version (was it the 904 ?) were renowned for durability and performance (fast shifting). The torqueflite along with the GM THM 400 were probably the toughest auto trannies going...although the Ford C6, was also pretty good.

Lots of us like to say we bought a Cummins diesel with a Dodge wrapped around it. :DI think it was a brilliant stroke of an idea for Dodge to make a deal with Cummins to provide diesel engines for their trucks.

Yup, Canadian made. The newer Avenger models are the way to go, but EXPENSIVE! I'm happy with mine. I know a fellow who was physically challenged, an ardent hunter /fisherman, who used one for his hunting / fishing trips. Worked out very well.

The Mitchell is not a popular brand, but for it's age, it's held up well. I would like to get a Bigfoot camper (again, Canadian made) because they are famous for being built for cold winter use, but again; SUPER EXPENSIVE! If I can find an older model that is reasonably priced, I'll get it, but that will likely be down in the states or western Canada. Here in Alaska, even used Bigfoot campers go for a small fortune. They are really popular.

I was going to mention the Bigfoot line in my OP. I have wanted a Bigfoot trailer...the twin axle job...think it's the 2500 model, (if my memory is correct) for a long time. As you do, I like the insulation and robust build quality of this line. But as you say, they are very expensive.

Edited by Lesmore

Considering how well built the Cummins B series is and also the fact that it's really a commercial medium duty truck engine, it should last forever in your 3/4 ton.

I'm sure of it. It was used when I bought it in 2000. It had 77K miles on it. I average about 6,000 miles per year on my truck, since I only use it for camping, hunting, fishing, plowing the driveway, and getting materials for summer projects. At my age, and at only 6K miles per year, it should last until I'm too old for such activities anymore.

I painted the truck a couple of years ago. Ground down the minor surface rust along the rocker panels, etc, and even Rhino lined the lower portion of the truck body as well as the box, so the body is in real good shape.

Guest Lesmore

I'm sure of it. It was used when I bought it in 2000. It had 77K miles on it. I average about 6,000 miles per year on my truck, since I only use it for camping, hunting, fishing, plowing the driveway, and getting materials for summer projects. At my age, and at only 6K miles per year, it should last until I'm too old for such activities anymore.

Nice to have such a practical heavy duty vehicle. Using it as a plow truck would be a snap for that truck...Cummins is about torque in a big way. Your truck sounds like a relatively modern day version of the Dodge Power Wagon. I realize that there is a new Dodge named the Power Wagon....but I mean the original Power Wagon...from the 1940's to somewhere in the '60's. Always wanted one of those, in the pickup version.

I painted the truck a couple of years ago. Ground down the minor surface rust along the rocker panels, etc, and even Rhino lined the lower portion of the truck body as well as the box, so the body is in real good shape.

We used to have a Coleman folding trailer. Not bad, but it had a problem with hail damaging the roof....roof seemed susceptible to hail...and then the insurance company wanting to write off a relatively new trailer as a result.

I called the Rhino lining shop out here...asked if they could Rhino the roof...they said yes...they could Rhino just about everything and I had some colour selections.

We call those Swamp Buggies down here.

I have a 2005 Toyota Highlander. It's a soccer mom's SUV, but it's been out in the woods and through some sugar sand and deep mud and so far (knock wood) never gotten stuck yet. It's AWD (All Wheel Drive) when it needs to be, that is, when the sensors tell it to be.

Not sure how that's different from 4 wheel drive, but it is.

Admin

I tried to find a photo and specs of the research vehicle Will Dranginis built but I can't seem to locate any info on it. I saw it on one of those BF shows and that thing was awesome. Maybe he'll post some photos, if he drops by to read this section. I seem to remember someone saying he sold it.

We call those Swamp Buggies down here.

That's what we call them up here, too. Before the ATV explosion, we used homebuilt rigs like that all the time. Some were built on commercial truck frames with Kaiser-Jeep "duece-an-halves" axles and drivetrains, but later we found that Dana 60's, with free floating, 2" axles, had plenty of strength for what we needed, so essentially a 1 ton pickup could be built up into a wonderful swamp buggy, and much lighter than the monster trucks.

Edited by Huntster

Guest Greldek

My buddy has a Yamaha Rhino, and we've gone out in the woods with it a few times. When I first looked at it I thought it was just a spruced up golf cart, and wouldn't be worth a dang in the woods. But I was amazed at where that thing could go, got into in and out of some pretty rough terrain, places we know we'd be getting stuck in on standard 4 wheelers. If I had the cash, I'd get one.

Here's a stock picture so people know what I'm talking about.

yamaha_rhino_utv.jpg