Specialized Vehicles Used By Forum Members

Guest Lesmore

Guest TooRisky

Then I will attempt powered hang gliding (some variants have the occupant siting versus lying down):

300px-WikipediaHangmotor.jpg

If that's not it, then I'm out. :lol:

yeah the one I saw the pilot was sitting upright and the wings were more wings than the "Kite"... It also had a very crude type of tail section....

Guest TooRisky

Right now I have a little Subie impreza wagon that does GREAT going down the rabbit holes that are the one lane forest roads around here. I make a joke that I can't offroad, but if there was a wagon trail there.....

The only problem is that the back seats don't fold down right to sleep on. I'm getting a little more nervous about tent camping these days, and right now I am looking for a tear drop trailer.

Hey Pez.... why not take the time to have the hubby or friend show you how to take the back seats out, heck it is only a matter of a few nuts... I know many people who do this for researching and upon returning home slide them back in when they need to... Easy peasy and saves you money and hassle of a trailer.... Add to the fact you are secure and safe with the added bonus of being dry on wet nights, heat when you want it and fast bug out if needed without getting out of your secure vehicle, the small time it takes to remove the seats is very worth while...

Edited by TooRisky

I never thought of that. That would solve a lot of the problems in one go, with minimal hassle.

fast bug out if needed without getting out of your secure vehicle
This part is why I haven't really considered a truck/camper combo. Unless I can make a little window to window tunnel to the drivers seat...lol...

It's not that Ima scaredy cat. :P

Nope, not that at all.....

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Bigfoot Proof

I have a little toy for footing, this is a picture of it from the brochure, don't laugh it works great. Basket hold a little gear, a quart of gas and goodies for the giants.

post-888-047596900 1299716276_thumb.jpg

Right now I have a little Subie impreza wagon that does GREAT going down the rabbit holes that are the one lane forest roads around here. I make a joke that I can't offroad, but if there was a wagon trail there.....

The only problem is that the back seats don't fold down right to sleep on. I'm getting a little more nervous about tent camping these days, and right now I am looking for a tear drop trailer.

I never thought about having to turn around on a dead end pulling one though...the tear drops are light enough that we could move it out of the way by hand if we had to, but on some of these roads there is no "out of the way" to move it to.....Dang.

I mean, we run into these "no exit" roads pretty regular...sometimes the road is just all of the sudden in 5 feet of snow (in SUMMER!), sometimes it just peters out into a boggy mess...Once it was a BIG rock. Just plunk in the middle of the road. And gosh bless us, there always seems to be a hundred foot drop down to the river/creek on one side and vertical on the other when these roads just decide to end...lol...

We have mastered the art of the thirty seven point turn....It's why we always have a towel accessible to the non driver in these situations. (you put it over your head. It helps.) Extremely narrow roads with drop off that decide to end abruptly for no readily apparent reason require a spotter, vigorous hand signals and some liquor.

but wow...I never thought about how a trailer, even a little one would make that impossible.

Guess I'm looking for used vans. Short ones.

Edit to say that all these roads were "real" roads according to the map. You don't even want to mess with the "dotted line" roads here in Oregon unless you are fully offroad capable.

Look around and see if you can find a little Suzuki Samari or the like. They get good mileage and will go most of the places your Subbie won't. If you get to the place where you need the 37 point turn, don't worry they're so short wheel-based that they are almost square.

17x7

Guest Lesmore

I really like Subarus. I've looked seriously over the years at the Forester. I don't fit well in one though. 'm over 6'3" , about 220 lbs and have broad shoulders and bad knees that cramp up (hockey injuries). I need a car I can stretch out my legs, pretty well full length. The only car I've found that meets those requirements is a my big Buick sedan with it's 6 passenger seating format. It's very comfy , quiet and is great whistling down highways. On logging roads...it's not bad...traction control and premium Michelins make a difference. But it's no AWD Subie Forester.

Hey Pez.... why not take the time to have the hubby or friend show you how to take the back seats out, heck it is only a matter of a few nuts... I know many people who do this for researching and upon returning home slide them back in when they need to... Easy peasy and saves you money and hassle of a trailer.... Add to the fact you are secure and safe with the added bonus of being dry on wet nights, heat when you want it and fast bug out if needed without getting out of your secure vehicle, the small time it takes to remove the seats is very worth while...

I've thought of full size pickups...4 doors...small V8 (gas)...or my son has a Chevy Colorado extended cab, Z-71 off road suspension, only 2WD but has very large (Factory) tires and a mechanical locker + an electronic traction control, great ground clearance, 5 cyl. engine...not bad gas mileage, handles well, surprisingly comfortable....mid size.

Although I would get the 4WD Z71 off road package and 4 doors.

Admin

The Excursion can and does pull that camper with the buggy in it, but it's a 5.4 v8, and dang if it doesn't have to work it's butt off towing a little over 6000#. Wish now I'd found a diesel or a V10.

hey GuyInIndiana,

Trust me on this, put a roots type blower on that V8 for a couple of grand. Emissions legal, won't void the warranty and add a good 100 HP + 130 lb-ft of torque depending on how many psi you set it for. Yes, they are adjustable!

Eaton makes nice blowers and have a long relationship with Ford.

The nice thing about that 5.4 is that you can benefit from all the mods the street racers have developed for it. You should be able to spend 3 grand and get 500+ hp.

See Ford Mustang Shelby...

Edited by gigantor

Guest Lesmore

hey GuyInIndiana,

Trust me on this, put a roots type blower on that V8 for a couple of grand. Emissions legal, won't void the warranty and add a good 100 HP + 130 lb-ft of torque depending on how many psi you set it for. Yes, they are adjustable!

Eaton makes nice blowers and have a long relationship with Ford.

The nice thing about that 5.4 is that you can benefit from all the mods the street racers have developed for it. You should be able to spend 3 grand and get 500+ hp.

See Ford Mustang Shelby...

For a heavy 4WD SUV like an Excursion you want an engine's power characteristics, different than a street racer. You want torque, lot's of it, low and mid range in the powerband. Street racers want horsepower...lot's of it, usually coming in at mid range and peaking at high rpm.

A supercharger might give you the power you need for a heavy SUV, but I think any significant engine mods could void the warranty. I would check with Ford before doing any mods, if there is any warranty left.

Edited by Lesmore

Admin

A roots blower will give him lots of low end torque. These things are tunable now because you can reprogram the computer for ignition, air/fuel mixture, etc. and even the trany shift points. The blower itself can be tuned to provide different psi at certain rpms.

The only mods would be: a cold air intake kit, headers, the blower and reprogramming the computer.

Edited by gigantor

Well "G", I appreaciate the idea, I really do... but I MIGHT need a fundraiser to help make all that happen. I'm gearing up for the upcoming camping/squatching season, hoping to put a few bucks into more equipment, so all those bucks to beef up my towing are kind'a committed.

Maybe if I could just find some single soccer mom with a 2005 6.0 PSD Excursion or F350, I'd be set. ;)

Guest Lesmore

Well "G", I appreaciate the idea, I really do... but I MIGHT need a fundraiser to help make all that happen. I'm gearing up for the upcoming camping/squatching season, hoping to put a few bucks into more equipment, so all those bucks to beef up my towing are kind'a committed.

Maybe if I could just find some single soccer mom with a 2005 6.0 PSD Excursion or F350, I'd be set. ;)

I'd be careful about the 6.0 liter PSD. The 6.8 liter V10 might be a better choice.