Bigfoot The Protector And Hunter !

Guest tracker

We talk alot about hunting bears in some of my threads. Blacks would be no prob but . I wonder how Sasq fare against the adults browns? They could out run them if they wanted to flee? But what about one on one conflicts when fighting over territory or a carcuss or defending young? Do you think Bf's would they need a group effort? Maybe the big guys throw rocks or use branches like clubs to scare or defeat a grizzly. Or would they even need to?

Their strength and height would be a match but the Bf's might give up a little on weight side of the equation. However the Bff's intellegence would make up for that surely. But then it's claws vs fingers , fangs vs teeth. Which would be the dominant species. Hmmm?

What do others think about who would win this type of conflict in the wild?

I think it's pretty hard to say without fully knowing what a Sasquatch is and is not. It's certainly plausible that a 800 lbs great ape could take on a 800 lbs brown bear. As we know with our own story that opposable thumbs and a large brain can make up the short fall for lack of teeth and claws.

We talk alot about hunting bears in some of my threads. Blacks would be no prob but . I wonder how Sasq fare against the adults browns? They could out run them if they wanted to flee? But what about one on one conflicts when fighting over territory or a carcuss or defending young? Do you think Bf's would they need a group effort? Maybe the big guys throw rocks or use branches like clubs to scare or defeat a grizzly. Or would they even need to?

Their strength and height would be a match but the Bf's might give up a little on weight side of the equation. However the Bff's intellegence would make up for that surely. But then it's claws vs fingers , fangs vs teeth. Which would be the dominant species. Hmmm?

What do others think about who would win this type of conflict in the wild?

Out run? I don't know, over short distances the grizzly can run 50 feet per second (faster than a race horse)

While coastal grizzlies can get 800 or more pounds iirc most mountain or interior grizzlies are 400 to 500 pounds.

So in theory (I am a skeptic :) ) it would be interesting

Guest tracker

Out run? I don't know, over short distances the grizzly can run 50 feet per second (faster than a race horse)

While coastal grizzlies can get 800 or more pounds iirc most mountain or interior grizzlies are 400 to 500 pounds.

So in theory (I am a skeptic :) ) it would be interesting

Okay here's some stats from Wikipedia

Most female grizzlies weigh 150 - 350 kilograms (330 - 770 pounds), while males weigh on average 230 – 450 kg (500 - 1000 lb). Newborn bears may weigh less than 500 grams. Although variable from blond to nearly black, grizzly bear fur is typically brown in color with white tips.[3] A pronounced muscular hump occurs on their shoulders which strengthens their front limbs for digging and running; they can attain speeds of 55 km/hr (35 mph).

I think the Bf's would easily be an equal match size, speed. But I think the Bf's would have better endurence. They seem to be mostly muscle and power and weight about the same. Where as the bear has a lot of fat and uses it's weight to win conflicts. However they do have those big fangs and 4 "claws. Surely in the mountain ranges out west on occassion they may run into each other. You would think any conflict would result in serious injuries. So maybe they just play it smart and avoid each other. But still I wonder, hmmm?

What wiki doesn't show there is that the average inland or mountain grizzly is much smaller then a coastal grizzly.

This is due largely to the fact that coastal grizzlies generally have a higher protein diet due to the annual salmon runs.

Genetically the inland grizzly bear and the coastal grizzly bear are the exact same species. However, there are many differences in their diet and this has a profound effect on their behavior. Food, especially meat, is scarce for inland grizzlies and nearly 95% of their diet is of the plant form. Coastal grizzlies on the other hand have access to highly nutritious salmon, clams, and sedge grass. This difference in diet has several effects. Coastal grizzlies tend to be much larger than inland grizzlies. Secondly, inland grizzlies tend to have larger "personal spaces" than do coastal grizzlies because food is more scarce and therefore they require a larger area to roam for food sources. Third, all of the highly nutritious foods on the coast (salmon, clams, sedge, etc) require the bears to congregate and feed together. Unlike coastal bears, inland grizzlies almost never congregate in large numbers. By feeding in close proximity to large numbers of other bears on a regular basis, coastal grizzlies have developed more social skills.

Here is a question that I just thought about.

I believe I have read on this forum, that some of you think that Sasquatches may take advantage of low tides and salmon runs.

In certain areas of the coast, grizzlies and humans fish in close proximity to each other with very few problems.

In fact some researchers claim that these grizzlies behave as if humans are bears.

Do you think that the same kind of relationship could have developed between grizzlies and Sasquatches during salmon runs?

Guest tracker

Here is a question that I just thought about.

I believe I have read on this forum, that some of you think that Sasquatches may take advantage of low tides and salmon runs.

In certain areas of the coast, grizzlies and humans fish in close proximity to each other with very few problems.

In fact some researchers claim that these grizzlies behave as if humans are bears.

Do you think that the same kind of relationship could have developed between grizzlies and Sasquatches during salmon runs?

Hey good Q Mag.

The browns get along because there's enough for every bear as long as they are grizzlies and therefore there's no need to get hurt. I' ve never seen or heard of browns sharing with blacks or other large preds? When they fish they are vulnerable at times so there's a trust/respect factor. I would think the big guys would just find their own spot and work together to run off any bears as they approach individually. I can't see them co-operating since Bf''s resemble humans and we are a constant threat. But who knows? The salmon run is a great time to seek BF's, just watch out for the bears.

JMO. tracker dry.gif

Not co-operating so much as tolerating.

Up in areas such as Alaska during the salmon runs, grizzlies and humans fish fairly close together.

I just wonder if the same could happen with Sasq

Guest tracker

Not co-operating so much as tolerating.

Up in areas such as Alaska during the salmon runs, grizzlies and humans fish fairly close together.

I just wonder if the same could happen with Sasq

It's possible, how close ? any blacks in the area?

My thinking is that the BF's would be in the water lunging or scooping fish the same as bears. So sure maybe in the same are but not too close. I would think they would need to be on guard for each other. Or mostly the BF's would have to watch out for a mankiller.

JMO so i don't get in trouble(again). tracker ;)

• 2 weeks later...
Guest tracker

Okay what about being territorial?

I just read some of the members choices for fav stories/reports in that thread. And it appeared to me that most choose reports that are kinda scary as their favorites? I like the interactive ones myself.

Could the cause of some of the aggressive reports be territorial disputes? It must be frustating to lose ground to logging or have their home range constantly invaded by the little people hiking and camping or building cabins all over the place.

Or do you think these types of reports caused by rogue young males behaving like rebellious teenagers? And that the gentle calm reports are from family units living in harmony.

I wonder what causes the night and day bahaviour change towards us from group to group?

JMO tracker. dry.gif

• 1 month later...
Guest tracker

What about pack hunting & defense behaviour. Just thinking of reports when they try to drive out unwanted visters or try to steal or take down prey in groups. Anyone? :huh:

• 4 weeks later...
Guest tracker

A less philosophical topic for average boys, and girls? This is probably the single most important BF related topic that there is, in my opinion. Hunting methodology is one of the primary catalysts to how every animal/hominid/primate has survived, and evolved into what they are today, whether it be from the Alpha, or Omega end of the food chain. (I have to finish this on my phone...BRB)

Okay i am not blowing my own horn here. I just think we should be talking about this in more depth. Any field researchers out there?

witness observes a Bf hunting with others in area.

http://www.bfro.net/GDB/show_report.asp?id=8547

4 fisherman are harrassed by more? than one Sasq when they set up camp in too close to their territory.

http://albertasasquatch.com/Reports_BrazeauRiver_1996.html

There more reports of them chasing/shadowing hunters/hikers all the back to thier vehicles but it's usuall just one Sasq they see.

Please leave the if factor out of the equation in my threads. It has a way of offending witnesses that have bravely come forward to share their experiences and knowledge IMO Tracker dry.gif

Guest BuzzardEater

My personal opinion is that Bigfoot DOES hunt larger game. (at least deer, and wild boar, but not all the time). ALWAYS has a sentinal on duty, whether the group is asleep or awake. With the dominant adults working it in "shifts". Depending on location of habitat, hunting can be singular, with Mom staying near sleeping area, watching young children. Or as a group, to train adolescents to hunt for themselves. I think that as they get older, say "teenage", that they are allowed a little freedom to explore, forage, and hunt. All under the strict eye of the parent. If things get out of hand, the leash ,so to speak, is shortened up abruptly. When in close proximity to human habitat, care may be taken NOT to hunt/kill domestic animals so as not to attract human attention. Near farms, livestock may not be a target. Near water such as ponds and streams, flocks of ducks and Canada Geese may become staples if the flocks continue to nest nearby. Also crops of vegitables may be part of the seasonal subsistance. (Corn, legumes, tomatoes, cabbage, squash,etc.) In more populated areas, dumpster diving may be employed. Near neighborhoods, checking people's garbage cans nightly may be routine. Stealing dogfood. Eating cattle feed. They could be rather opertunistic in a given situation. In the right environment, they may not have to hunt/forage far at all from sleeping areas. Just my opinion. -Knuck

Smart concise post, Knuck! I think you have it right, on the whole. I differ somewhat in that I believe that the Sasquatch people do not shy away from humans at all. I think there are individuals that are "acclimatized" and are well aware of humans and thier habits. It does not make sense to think they do not have allies. Many allies/friends. For every person that picks up a gun there is a counterpart who offers friendship. There is a lady who claims to have made friends with an adult male. She says she bakes him bundt cakes that he eats like donuts! I personally have talked with a man who leaves two hundred pounds of potatoes in a bearproof garbage can at the back of his property. He refills it every month. One Christmas he was late replenishing it and the can appeared in front of his truck about three feet off the bumper. I don't think bears do that.

Reguarding hunting technique, the Sasquatch seems to have superhuman strength. This is at odds with my beliefs, but there is some evidence. Suppose it is similar to the Chimpanzee/Human ratio of five to one. If so, an adult male the size of Shaquille O'Neal would be little challenged by anything less than a grizzly. Cougars represent similar threat to a house cat in this paradigm. This is why I don't chase them. I am sure deer are like walking hot dogs to the Sasquatch, easily prepared and yummy good!For fun, imagine a baseball thrown by Randy Johnson, except is is made out of rock and weighs pounds, not ounces. A being with that kind of physique could probably throw that through the side of a van!

I ahve been told the Sasquatch people follow a winter gathering model, where they all get together in one place to ride out the winter. This is thought to be the result of thier observation of the old ways of the Carrier people in Northern BC. Family units would travel together, hunting and following game all year until they gathered at winter camp. Here resources could be shared and birthing females and thier newborns could be attended to. This is part of the oral tradition of the Carrier nation. An interesting aside, the Carrier also believed that a person could only be buried on holy ground. If someone died in the field thier family would physically bear the body back to winter camp and the burial grounds, hence the name "Carrier". You won't find any Carrier bodies in the woods, unless you know where to look.

The last thing I wanted to add is that the sasquatch is called "Cannibal Woman" by many tribes in BC. This is always dismissed as a fairy tale to frighten children from wandering. I have come to terms with this, but it still upsets me to think about. If you care to confront this, simply consider the number of hikers who disappear every year. There are other statistics to quote, but I find it very upsetting.

Guest tracker

The last thing I wanted to add is that the sasquatch is called "Cannibal Woman" by many tribes in BC. This is always dismissed as a fairy tale to frighten children from wandering. I have come to terms with this, but it still upsets me to think about. If you care to confront this, simply consider the number of hikers who disappear every year. There are other statistics to quote, but I find it very upsetting.

I like most of what you said but i only quoted the last part. Cannibals BF's and disappearing hikers a touchy subject with some. Not sure if eating a different species is canniblism. We got lots of reports of them shadowing, chasing even. It makes you wonder about their motives. Some are very aggressive much more than curious or defensive. Just consider how easy it would be for them to kill humans if they wanted to? It would be kinda hard to escape them if they were on the hunt. You would need to be really close to your truck or cabin and others. Maybe that's why some follow to see if your alone or not before deciding? They seem very carefull and patient.

JMO Tracker. dry.gif