Bigfoot And "creeped Out" Feeling

Guest ShadowPrime

I didn't say women's pheromones during their fertile time don't attract men....I said the pheromones were not known to do so...at least not yet. I mean science isn't telling us they can prove it.

I would have to agree that it probably is true that at a woman's fertile time there are some pheromones going off---it only makes sense. I was trying to correct the notion I think some guys have that a woman on her period is "in heat" or something.

I was afraid it might be a total thread killer....glad it wasn't, but we better change the subject so the sensitive types can rejoin the conversation:blush:......

Edited by Kings Canyon

There is even more to this than you think. I saw on TV only a few weeks ago an experiment in which men (Uni students) were asked to rate women's appeal, solely on a photo of their face. This was entirely randomised, and there were multiple pictures of the same women, but at different stages of their cycle. Well, you can guess where this is going..........

.........the highest scoring women were the ones photographed around the time of ovulation. It was statistically significant. Large sample, all that stuff.

So there is something that changes in the faces of pre-menopausal women which gives away the fact that they are around the time of ovulation. Amazing!

Mike

BFF Patron

Sources/citations please?

New shark repellents are based on a similar concept.

This repellent is made from a blend of decaying tissues from several shark species. In another clip I saw on television, but haven't found on the web yet, they demonstrated that tissue from a specific shark species repels that species, but not others. They may have been using more concentrated repellent in the second clip I saw, but the sharks scattered in seconds rather than a couple of minutes.

From what I understand there are also some chemicals that are specific to human decomposition. Theoretically these could be used to instill fear.

But these are byproducts of decomposition, not pheromones.

Without getting into specifics, in one multiple casualty situations I've experienced, the people who died had no clue it was going to happen. They just happened to be in the wrong place when a stray artillery shell landed on them. No particularly odd odors. In the other situation, four lieutenants in a small sedan were hit head on by a drunk driver in a pickup truck. All four died, but they saw the truck coming and knew they were about to die. The odor from their bodies was very different, as if they released some sort of fear pheromone just before they died.

Maybe one of the emergency responders on the forum can explain better.

I dealt with laboring women for 20 years, much fear was noticed, but I never smelled anything like what you are talking about.

Edited as an afterthought- maybe you just have a really sensitive nose.

Edited by Jodie

True about my nose. Assisted in five deliveries. Lots of stress but happy times.

Wierd thing, not allergic to dogs normally, but canine amniotic fluid makes me sneeze. It's worse than tear gas.

Tying back in to bigfoot. There's a whole world of perception out there based on the sense of smell (ask any dog). What we generally don't realize is that we have a gland in our nose that specializes in picking up pheromones (vameronasal), which we can't consciously smell, and we have some behaviors that are hard-wired to some of those pheromones when we subconsciously detect them. The behaviors are some of the most primal we have.

There was one study in England where they applied a strong male human pheromone to a chair in a dentist's waiting room. They then had the dentist schedule patients so that people would be waiting one at a time. Every woman who came in chose that particular chair to sit in. Every man who came into the waiting room sat as far away from the chair as possible.

If a human male pheromone can cause other human males to avoid a chair, it seems possible that a species can evolve a pheromone that has the effect of warding people off.

I have GAD, generalized anxiety disorder, that manifests when I am in crowds. I can't fly, can't do anything if it means I'm going to be packed in with a bunch of people in a new situation. I get ansty and have to getup and go to the bathroom, the concession stand, pretend Igot a call on my cell phone set on vibrate so I can step out of a meeting. I generally try to sit close to the exit and that helps some. I wonder if I'm getting some kind of miswired "overwhelmed by other people's pheromones" response.

my brother, who happens to be gay, said he could smell when a woman arrived aboard the Nimitz even if he was below deck and so could the other guys.

Too much perfume. If people can smell a woman from 20ft+ away, including well after she's gone, then it's way too much perfume. Sorry just had to say it since it's a common issue with women. :D

I suffer at times from having a very sensitive nose since there are a lot of things I'd rather not smell and my family has also gripped about it causing annoying issues between us since I can pick up scents that other people can't. For instance there was a smoker on the freeway driving at least 100yds in front of me yet I was the only one who could smell the slight scent of smoke in my car. That said I have never been aware of a woman's pheromones. The faint scent of their shampoo, lotion, or slight bad body odor yes I noticed but I have never been able to walk by a woman, smell her pheromones and know what part of her cycle she's on. That is an industrial grade nose you must have there to be able to detect that.

• Upvote 1

I know what you're talking about with the smoke in the car 100 yard ahead. I hate that, particularly if there's too much traffic to pass them.

Got a guy working for me now with a nose about ten times more sensitive than mine. Makes you conscious of what smells you might be carrying around on yourself.

My brother swears it wasn't perfume. His thought was that he was in a predominately male environment so whatever it was about the female visitors stood out. He now works with an all female crew and says he doesn't notice anything.

I have GAD, generalized anxiety disorder, that manifests when I am in crowds. I can't fly, can't do anything if it means I'm going to be packed in with a bunch of people in a new situation. I get ansty and have to getup and go to the bathroom, the concession stand, pretend Igot a call on my cell phone set on vibrate so I can step out of a meeting. I generally try to sit close to the exit and that helps some. I wonder if I'm getting some kind of miswired "overwhelmed by other people's pheromones" response.

Some foods do this to people. In my case, I don't eat gluten to avoid this problem. If I eat anything with nuts, or peanut butter in it I get the feeling within about 45 minutes, so I avoid those foods too. It doens't happen often anymore, but whenever I get a feeling like this, my first thought is, "OK, what did I eat?" Knowing it's food-related allows me to control it.

My brother swears it wasn't perfume. His thought was that he was in a predominately male environment so whatever it was about the female visitors stood out. He now works with an all female crew and says he doesn't notice anything.

It may be possible for a woman's pheromone levels to elevate around high concentrations of male pheromone.

Edited by JDL

I suspect I have celiacs, maybe gluten is the cause. I'll have to try avoiding it the day before my all day meetings, and the day of, to see how I feel.

I suspect I have celiacs, maybe gluten is the cause. I'll have to try avoiding it the day before my all day meetings, and the day of, to see how I feel.

Gluten intolerance is a serious thing whether or not it has progressed into celiac disease or not. A lot, and I mean a lot of physicians don't fully understand it the way they should.

If someone is gluten intolerant they're missing a key digestive enzyme that would be used to fully break down the wheat gluten protein. A fragment is left over from abnormal digestion called gliadin. Gliadin acts as both a systemic toxin and an immune system suppressant. As such it both causes systems in your body to go haywire and at the same time overloads your immune system so that it cannot effectively deal with the issues. In addition to digestive problems and acid reflux, it exacerbates arthritis, exacerbates allergies, and it inflames cell membranes in the brain so that the normal activity of neurotransmitters is inhibited; thus depression, anxiety, and interference with short and long term memory. Those are just the effects that are apparent. Because the gliadin overloads the immune system, it also makes one more susceptible to infection, and it interferes with the body's natural ability to inhibit the growth of tumors among other things.

And this isn't even celiac disease. It's just gluten intolerance. Celiac disease is an advanced stage where one's body finally triggers a defensive response to the gliadin that is destroying it. It starts producing an antibody protect itself from the gliadin. But the gliadin is just a chemical, so antibodies don't work against it. So the antibody is targeted at the celia in one's small intestine instead to try to prevent the celia from absorbing the gliadin. It's like cutting off one's arm to prevent snake venom from reaching the heart. Once the celia are dead, a whole host of additional issues involving poor nutrition crop up.

Gluten intolerance has such a widespread effect on some people that doctors are too beset with one's symptoms to pinpoint the underlying cause. Some fall back on catch-all diagnoses like Chronic Fatigue Syndrome or Gulf War Syndrome.

Eating less gluten can make one feel a little better, but it doesn't make one well. It only takes a little gluten to achieve most of the disruptive effect in one's body. Happily, going completely gluten free can result in a massive increase in general health within about a week to ten days. And over time the celia will regrow. But to do this one needs to avoid not only wheat, but barley, malt, and especially any foods that contain modified food starch, which is made from wheat. Generally one needs to avoid beer, malt drinks such as wine coolers and other flavored malts, vodka, and bourbon. Whiskey and scotch are ok because they are double and triple distilled. Corn gluten and modified corn starch are ok. In addition to corn; rice, potatoes, and several other starchy foods are ok. One should be in the habit of reading labels. Many flavorings on things like potato chips contain wheat or modified food starch. Nacho Cheese Doritos for example have wheat in the flavoring. Cool Ranch don't.

Being gluten intolerant is a curse, because it has a dramatic effect on one's health and the cause is not readily apparent. Finding out one is gluten intolerant is a blessing, because it is simple to fix and the improvement in health is worth going without wheat.

I also believe that there is such a thing as Type II gluten intolerance. As we age, we produce fewer enzymes, including digestive enzymes. Quite a few of the primary symptoms of gluten intolerance overlap with symptoms that are commonly associated with aging. I believe that geriatric patients' lives can be improved by removing wheat from their diet. No data on this yet, but it is a valid hypothesis.

Edited by JDL

Got a guy working for me now with a nose about ten times more sensitive than mine. Makes you conscious of what smells you might be carrying around on yourself.

I know a guy who can not smell anything. Because of that one time he was chosen to be the one to remove a dead skunk from his workplace. Did it without issue while all of his coworkers were gagging from the stench on his clothes afterward. lol

That would be nice at times to not be able to smell skunks and other bad scents but it would also be bad at other times since he can not tell when food is spoiled and he has gotten sick from that where he now has to get his wife to smell it for him first before he knows it's ok to eat.