How Would You Capture Or Kill A Sasquatch?

Guest tracker

Guest Cervelo

Wow another thread dragged down to the "you prove the unproven animal does this or doesn't do that with the bs reported on the web I'll show you!" or the let's see who can find the most bs on the web or the who has the most free time contest! Very disappointing gentlemen!

Guest tracker

I do agree after the first specimen is acquired we could then protect them from further hunting and from having all the land they inhabit developed. :ph34r:

IMO it will make things worse for them once one is killed and existence is proven. Were a destructive species it will take some time before everyone gets on board with protecting them.

JMO

Guest tracker

Wow another thread dragged down to the "you prove the unproven animal does this or doesn't do that with the bs reported on the web I'll show you!" or the let's see who can find the most bs on the web or the who has the most free time contest! Very disappointing gentlemen!

That's where all the roads lead in forums Cervelo. It's in the rules when you agree to be a member on any forum.

If a member makes a claim about how to hunt Bf's in this thread. Then myself or someone else is going to call them on it. He had his chance to tone it down so now i am asking him to " Show us the money" since he's adamant about his theory.

nothing was dragged down. IMO tracker dry.gif

Edited by tracker

Guest SurfingCowboy

If I was hunting BF in earnest (suppose the Cowman of Copalis Beach had ate that kid!) I think I'd want air support. Seriously. At least one helicopter and some spotter planes. This isn't out of reach for large police departments or government agencies.

I'd try using the mounted posse approach directed from the air. You'd need more than one team, so you could leapfrog in front of the subject.

I do not believe dogs would be an asset.

I would want a mixture of armament ranging from great big handguns with hot, hot loads to shotguns and big rifles. Tear gas cannisters would be a good idea, too. Tasers? I asked a smith about an over under with a ten gauge and a .50 and he thought I was nuts! I was only half kidding, I think you'd actually need that. Probably need a big magazine, too.

A hunt would have to be a well funded affair, with no boundaries. BFs are smart and this won't be easy. A BF could jump into a river and swim like crazy underwater, changing positions by a couple of miles in a couple of minutes. They can top ridges that horses cannot climb and do it quickly. I am certain they have big speed, thirty miles an hour is a light jog for them. They can do this at night.

Without a determined team and logistical support, I doubt it gets done.

Well I have to admit I have a problem with your theorys, I actually do believe that using a dog or dogs to track a BF or even corner one would work. Also you really would need outragous caliber firearms. I carry a .380 with hollow points in a shoulder holster and a 9mm on my hip with a shallow hollow point. I don't actually use these for the hunting of a BF but I do butcher hogs and know that some guys use smaller calibers on them to kill them. I do think that if I was out in the forest at what I think is a high traffic area for the big guy and I had to use them as long as I stayed aiming for his head or chest I could drop one if needed. I also don't go out by myself. If I were actually out hunting a 12 gauge with slugs or double ot would be ok. A deer rifle would be just as good if the operator was a good shot or at least had experience with one. :ph34r:

Guest SurfingCowboy

IMO it will make things worse for them once one is killed and existence is proven. Were a destructive species it will take some time before everyone gets on board with protecting them.

JMO

With all the animal rights groups and enviromentalists out their I strongly believe that people would right away be out trying to protect the big guy, because they know once one person kills one and they have been proven that would fuel the fire for other hunters and they would be trying to stop that ASAP, and when it proves they we are invading their habitat those groups would be stopping the useless building we keep doing. Your right that we are destructive and if we don't prove their existence, then they could end up like the Native Americans before we realize what we've done. :ph34r:

That's where all the roads lead in forums Cervelo. It's in the rules when you agree to be a member on any forum.

If a member makes a claim about how to hunt Bf's in this thread. Then myself or someone else is going to call them on it. He had his chance to tone it down so now i am asking him to " Show us the money" since he's adamant about his theory.

nothing was dragged down. IMO tracker dry.gif

Tone it down? How am I to blame? I corrected some misinformation about animal biology & anatomy as well as firearms, as well as pointing out that some folks were making assumptions that BF must practically have super powers, and for that I am the sole cause of the thread going downhill? Wow.

Btw, in your response to me this morning, Tracker, you completely misquoted me. If you are going to quote me, please do so correctly or copy & paste. I did not say the things you said I did in the context you said, and I did provide examples. I believe the things I responded to in my few posts in this thread were written out of inexperience or lack of knowledge either of animal biology or anatomy or bullets, firearms, ballistics, etc.

For some reason, folks seem to address the qualities of BF as if they are an authority on them, when none of us definitively know any real facts about them. I tend to look at them comparatively with other known animals that they reportedly share characteristics with, and post accordingly. For example, there is nothing in any report to suggest to me that I must shoot one in the eye to kill it, since they seem to share other biological characteristics with large mammals like bears, great apes, and humans, all of which have vital organs in the chest cavity, neck, spinal column, and vital arteries in the thighs that bleed out in seconds. Now do you see where I am coming from, whether you agree with me or not?

Edit: for the record, I did not really say that I knew how to hunt a BF (I made a comment regarding dogs in reference to a some reports of dogs being afraid not representing the majority of dogs on earth, and I mentioned how dogs are used to hunt. I don't use them anymore, I bow hunt). My main point was being able to kill a BF with one shot, and/or being able to kill it by hitting it somewhere besides the eye/head.

Edited by Surveyor

Guest tracker

Tone it down? How am I to blame? I corrected some misinformation about animal biology & anatomy as well as firearms, as well as pointing out that some folks were making assumptions that BF must practically have super powers, and for that I am the sole cause of the thread going downhill? Wow.

Btw, in your response to me this morning, Tracker, you completely misquoted me. If you are going to quote me, please do so correctly or copy & paste. I did not say the things you said I did in the context you said, and I did provide examples. I believe the things I responded to in my few posts in this thread were written out of inexperience or lack of knowledge either of animal biology or anatomy or bullets, firearms, ballistics, etc.

For some reason, folks seem to address the qualities of BF as if they are an authority on them, when none of us definitively know any real facts about them. I tend to look at them comparatively with other known animals that they reportedly share characteristics with, and post accordingly. For example, there is nothing in any report to suggest to me that I must shoot one in the eye to kill it, since they seem to share other biological characteristics with large mammals like bears, great apes, and humans, all of which have vital organs in the chest cavity, neck, spinal column, and vital arteries in the thighs that bleed out in seconds. Now do you see where I am coming from, whether you agree with me or not?

Yes I do. And I said that about an eye shot because I've seen a very large PNW male up close. And know they would be extremely hard to kill for many reasons. IMO

Anyways, seriously post some links to reports with hunters and dogs trying to run down a Bf as you mentioned. I very interested in reports from the field like that. We have so many of the fleeing in opposite direction ones.

thanks . tracker.

Edited by tracker

Guest SurfingCowboy

IMO most of the people here are technically using the scientific method to a degree. They form hypothesis's and come up with theorys and then they test them, not all will work not all are right but for the most part; I think people are drawing as musch knowledge from one another as possible and from the facts that people can find out. I don't think people get on here and just talk out their bum. :ph34r:

Guest SurfingCowboy

Tracker, Let me ask you a question. Why do you think taking a BF would be so difficult? I have read your posts and you seem to be very on the ball. I get the impression that you have either received a good bit of combat training or have really done alot of private homework on the subject. Your posts seem to reflect a great deal of insight on the subject, so if you have the time could you point out what would make it so tough. just curious. I never seen one and don't know a whole lot about their anatomy. :ph34r:

Guest tracker

Tracker, Let me ask you a question. Why do you think taking a BF would be so difficult? I have read your posts and you seem to be very on the ball. I get the impression that you have either received a good bit of combat training or have really done alot of private homework on the subject. Your posts seem to reflect a great deal of insight on the subject, so if you have the time could you point out what would make it so tough. just curious. I never seen one and don't know a whole lot about their anatomy. :ph34r:

I am no expert on anatomy either. Bf's are big I mean really big and powerful and very thick muscled creatures. Most people get the general idea from reports or forums. But reports or vague pictures just doesn't do them justice by a long shot. And quiet frankly they can scare the crap out of anyone even with rifles and make them turn and flee.

So I guess it's ok to suppose this and that in here? Even harden hunters supposedly safe in trees with a clear shot turn down the chance. They are that intimidating up close. You just can't explain the fear factor well enough in forums or reports IMO. So I don't even bother carrying a rifle, just a large hunting knife.

Guest SurfingCowboy

I am no expert on anatomy either. Bf's are big I mean really big and powerful and very thick muscled creatures. Most people get the general idea from reports or forums. But reports or vague pictures just doesn't do them justice by a long shot. And quiet frankly they can scare the crap out of anyone even with rifles and make them turn and flee.

So I guess it's ok to suppose this and that in here? Even harden hunters supposedly safe in trees with a clear shot turn down the chance. They are that intimidating up close. You just can't explain the fear factor well enough in forums or reports IMO. So I don't even bother carrying a rifle, just a large hunting knife.

Thank you, that's what I was wondering and to a degree thats the impression that I was getting. I actually do agree, I think its possible for someone to bag one but I think your right about the human behavior factor when it comes to contact. :ph34r:

Guest Cervelo

IMO most of the people here are technically using the scientific method to a degree. They form hypothesis's and come up with theorys and then they test them, not all will work not all are right but for the most part; I think people are drawing as musch knowledge from one another as possible and from the facts that people can find out. I don't think people get on here and just talk out their bum. :ph34r:

I wish could be that trusting and I hope your right. IMO about 50% of what I read is bs the rest conjecture, regurgitation of bs they read on the web, and maybe less than 5% of some interest.:)

Guest Cervelo

I wish could be that trusting and I hope your right. IMO about 50% of what I read is bs the rest conjecture, regurgitation of bs they read on the web, and maybe less than 5% of some interest.:) 7mm mag to the chest less than 300 yards dead Bigfoot IMO

Yes I do. And I said that about an eye shot because I've seen a very large PNW male up close. And know they would be extremely hard to kill for many reasons. IMO

Anyways, seriously post some links to reports with hunters and dogs trying to run down a Bf as you mentioned. I very interested in reports from the field like that. We have so many of the fleeing in opposite direction ones.

thanks . tracker.

I don't know what you are saying "Yes I do" to.

I have seen an elephant up close (quite a few, actually, at the zoo). It was a very large male, much larger than a BF, with a much larger and thicker skull, and much larger muscles. In fact, elephants are the largest land animals in the world. I am also aware that elephants are killed by poachers and by legal hunters with one shot quite often (actually it is the norm) as are other extremely large mammals that are much larger than BF. I have seen some of them killed (not in person) on hunting shows. I have talked to reputable people who have killed large African, Asian, and North American game with one shot, and not always to the head (in fact, usually NOT to the head). Those are some of the reasons I am convinced that a BF could be killed by a single shot with no problem. I have also killed many North American game animals (no grizzlies) in my life with one shot, by both firearms and archery equipment. I am sure many people on this forum have as well. I accomplished this by shooting them in the vital organs, which is much easier than trying to shoot an animal in the eye because the vital area of the chest cavity is quite large on a mammal, and increases in size proportionately to the size of the animal (in known observed species).

As far as dogs fleeing vs dogs chasing potential BF, we have reports of SOME dogs cowering from POTENTIAL BF. I already gave one example from the show Monsterquest where tracking dogs pursued an again "potential" BF from the site of an auto collision in Louisiana into a swampy area. Also, the dogs Dr. Meldrum was working with were not afraid of the scent he exposed them to. I am currently reading a book called "The Historical Bigfoot", which is available from amazon.com, and it contains quite a few articles where BF, "wildmen" (as they were termed at the time), "whatsits", etc. were hunted and pursued/chased by hunters with hounds. The book is a collection of old newspaper articles from across the continent, mostly prior to 1940, and it is organized by state and Canadian province. I highly recommend it. I am not even halfway through, so I would expect to encounter more similar stories in regard to hounds, but I may be wrong.

When I emphasized SOME dogs above, I don't want you to misunderstand what I am trying to get across. I don't mean to say that a minority of the reports with dogs in them show the dogs as being afraid. I mean it in the sense that, for example, let's say there are 10,000,000 dogs in the U.S. (I don't know the number, just bear with me), and let's say there are 100 BF reports with dogs in them (just a wild figure as well), and that in 90 of the reports the dogs seemed afraid, it is not accurate to say that all dogs are afraid of BF, or that most dogs are afraid of BF, because that small number of dogs (even if there were 2,000 reports with dogs, for example) is not enough to provide a reasonable statistical sample of dogs in the U.S. It would be ok to say that most of the dogs reported in BF sightings had a fear response to BF, but that is about as far as you can go with absolute certainty.

Now, what I am interested in, is why exactly you think shooting a BF in the heart, lungs, between the eyes, the temple, etc. will not kill it. I am not asking about any fear factor or feeling bad because it looks human. I am asking strictly from the standpoint of firing the weapon at the desired target at the appropriate range to kill, whatever that range may be.

Guest tracker

Yes i do see where your coming from and I don't believe a shot to the chest would bring one down. Were not talking about fat elephants that are susceptible to deep bullet penetration. Wait until you see one first then get back to me with your theories.