Missing 411

Guest SquatchTrackerMD

I finally got around to reading the books. I'd heard the radio interview and a friend purchased the books - I frankly wasn't gonna pay that much - and he let me read them after he did.

BLUF: Paulides is onto something. He overstates the case, in some cases he's making things sounds more mysterious than they actually are, but more than a few of the disappearances he recounts are surpassingly creepy and very difficult to explain outside the paranormal and/or cryptozoological. Some of these cases have been discussed here already. I'm a trained investigator and some of them totally stumped me.

While I suspect BF is only responsible for a low percentage of the disappearances, I'd be astonished if there weren't some BF angle at play here. I doubt that killing and eating humans is a regular Squatch thing, but it's pretty naive to assume it's not happening, given where BF is in the food chain compared to any unarmed human. I've seen one and needless to say I don't go anywhere near BF territory, on foot and alone, without a very powerful rifle which I wouldn't hesitate to use.

As for the "government conspiracy" angle let me try and shed some light. I've served in the military (enlisted and officer), plus I've worked in Federal law enforcement, so I think I know how Uncle Sam acts and thinks. There are BF buffs in the gov't too, folks - they just usually keep quiet about it so no one thinks they're crazy or weird.

I served on two military bases in areas were BF sightings were far from uncommon, and there were definitely people "in the know" on base. We talked among ourselves, discreetly, but there was no doubt that that base security was quite well aware that "unofficial guests" were around from time to time. But nobody filed reports about it - who wants to look nuts to peers who aren't into BF? - and it just goes down the memory hole, word of mouth among people who care, and when they leave the base or retire it's forgotten; it's kinda like Fight Club that way.

I don't doubt that NPS, with support from FBI and others, isn't eager to find references to weird disappearances and even BF in official reports and such. I doubt many people would ever do that anyway. Part of reading gov't reports is knowing what is NOT said - there's a lot of reading between lines, but you have to know the bureaucratic lingo to "get" the real meaning.

I would bet my last 2 cents that there are quite a few NPSers who have a rather good handle on some of this, including the BF angle, but they're not gonna solicit unwanted attention, and possibly commit career suicide, by filing flaky-sounding reports or saying stuff "out of lane" to reporters, etc.

I'm sure Paulides's FOIA requests caused heartburn, since this is an issue NPS doesn't want to talk about, for obvious reasons, but I highly doubt there are any "secret" reports on disappearances somewhere. The stuff ain't getting written down in the first place.

Is that a conspiracy? Not to me, it's just the usual CYA that infects all the US system, at all levels. I hate it, it's one of the worst things about working for Uncle Sam, but so it goes.

BFF Patron

Call me naive, I say its 99.95% BS!

Guest BastetsCat

Does anyone know why this book would be selling for $73,00 and up on Amazon? I cannot imagine what could justify that kind of price. I do see one version for $25.00 but the other...??

Because the book is not listed to sell through Amazon. Buy it from his site what is it CanAmmissing or some such thing for far cheaper. It would make more sense if he listed it on Amazon because then it would be more available. Also he could earn 10% or something like that linking it with his site. All sales would go through Amazon....

The RickyRifle story is one of the creepiest I've read as well. I wonder if it really was the hairy folk. The face is not described, but the tall skinny description fits a dogman scenario more than a 'squatch scenario.

I just read this. I find it interesting that he says...the moon was full. He says....BF, Ghosts, werewolves. It made it sound like werewolves more than BF. Like he had that idea in his head. Though he did not discribe the creatures other than height and stealth.

Also I noticed they had guns at the ready. Each man carried a .45 and he had a shotgun in the snow and managed to pee...did he set it down? Or did he manage to hold it while he manuvered to open everything up? Either way they did not fire off a single round that he disclosed.

Terrifying either way you think about it.

What does this area look like in comparison to the clusters?

What does this area look like in comparison to sightings?

I know we have very educated and talented people around here that could cross reference this sight....Love ya...C.

BFF Patron

You're entitled to your opinion, and that's not mine. If BF has been responsible for the deaths of humans we have just as much evidence of that as we do of their existence, don't we?

If you read Keith Foster's posting in another thread today, which is based on reported live confrontations of hunter's with BF during daylight you'd know they will make every effort to walk away in the majority of human confrontations.

Edited by bipedalist

Yeah I get what you mean. Some of the cases described in the book do point in "that" direction. What makes me think even more in that direction, is the fact the native americans also tell storys about them taking their young, or their women. I agree with people here that say, if he needs to do it, to survive, he WILL imo.

BTW, I forgot to add a :) to the 99.95% post. ;)

Edited by hesse

• 1 month later...

Im now half way through the Missing 411 Eastern US and I believe it´s a must read for anyone that spends time in the wildernes. David Paulides does an extraordinary job at investigating these cases of missing people. I have listenend to all the radioshows featuring Mr. Paulides and they only scratch the surface of whats really going on. To really grasp the scope of all the cases I encourage everyone to read the books.

I have lost some sleep and the cases truly disturb me. It´s hard to accept what is happening.

Paulides does NOT say BF is responsible, nor does he give any other opinion as to what is out there stealing so many people. This is an ongoing problem that needs more attention.

So if you have been skeptical of the books, don´t judge a book by it´s cover. ;)

Guest Cervelo

I find nothing unusually about the NP system not wanting to "advertise" missing persons or keeping track of it in any way.

All of these cases were investigated, searches made bodies found or not.

Not sure why keeping track of it is that big a deal unless of course you've connected a bunch of random dots and reached a conclusion that something mysterious is going on when there's really not.

Dogs stop tracking all the time, kids are capable of covering alot more ground than one would think, people, animals, get snatched up by other people and animals all the time given the opportunity.

Odd stuff happens for sure but to suggest, wormholes, time shifts, Bigfoot kidnappings, fun to talk about for sure and a great way to sell books ;)

I'm still sticking with this!

I saw a piece on a local missing hiker and wanted to post it, but I am not sure if this is the spot or this kind of thing deserves its own thread....(let me know what you think)

http://www.examiner....n-national-park

Guy named Larry Conn, solo hiker, experienced hiker/backpacker....age 53, attorney

Interesting story, Kings Canyon. Thanks for sharing!

Given that a winter storm arrived in the area (on his 2nd day out) and dumped around 12 inches of snow, what makes this a mystery.

Is the mystery due to the high number of resources spent with no find.

"At its height, the widespread aerial and ground search involved 56 personnel from several different agencies, with 10 ground search teams, three dog teams, and five helicopters."

I am not in SAR, but will like to the their statistics on the likelihood of finding a missing person after a big storm like this.

If the odds of finding a missing person declines after 12 inches of snow dump falls, then I don't see mystery here.

12 inches of snow does not equal a death sentence: 1) that is normal for the Sierra so he was no doubt prepared for cold at least, and 2) it should make tracks easy to find and 3) UP TO 12 inches isn't that much at all.

And my point wasn't it is a big mystery, my point is that hikers continue to disappear and this is an area with a lot of sightings. Not if you go by BFRO, maybe, but trust me. The Shaver Lake area is right east of me.

Edited by Kings Canyon

Are you being sarcastic? If you are, think about it: 1) that is normal for the Sierra so he was no doubt prepared for cold at least, and 2) it should make tracks easy to find and 3) 12 inches isn't that much.

I am not being sarcasatic.

I truly will like to know the odds of finding a missing person with and without 12 inches of snow storm.

I recall a similar case a few years ago of a missing backpacker who also got caught in a snow storm in the Sierras.

Everything looked the same to him, he got disoriented, and he took the wrong turn and fell off a cliff.

SAR looked all over and did not find him.

I believe he was found by a buddy in a plane who saw the reflection of a mirror he had.

Guest OntarioSquatch

Got disoriented and fell off a cliff? I'm interested to know what evidence that conclusion was based on.