Where Do Bigfoots Go In Winter?

Guest OntarioSquatch

In Northern Ontario, there's really no escape from the harsh weather in January. My guess is they can survive cold weather somehow.

I feel they are well built for cold weather. Besides, those drowsy hiberanting bears are good eating if you can locate their den.

• 4 weeks later...

I was at Shaver Lake in the Sierra Nevada a little over the year ago, and the snow was still about three feet deep. I noticed that some of the tall pine trees, a few, not all, had quite a lot of debris underneath the tree canopy. It was noticeable. I think they live in trees sometimes. The ground is just boulders big as houses. No caves, far as I know.

Lots of animals migrate or move around during the course of a year. They may winter in one area, graze/eat/hunt in another in the spring. And travel doesn't have to be that far in terms of horizontal distances. In mountainous areas it can be as simple as moving from the slopes to valleys or flat plains areas at different times of the year. Even reptiles like alligators travel around a lot during certain times of the year. In the spring they get out of the water and actually walk around quite a bit.

• 1 month later...
Guest BFSleuth

Here's an interesting article about the advent of a new "Cooling Glove" that helps athletes cool down their system by taking advantage of the palms of the hands. Note the following:

"Grahn first stumbled upon the unusual sports technology with H. Craig Heller, fellow Stanford biologist, when they tried to answer a longstanding mystery — how black bears are able to cool themselves with all that fur.

The biologists discovered that bears and other furry animals have hairless patches of skin with networks of veins lurking close to the surface. Those special veins, called AVAs (arteriovenous anastomoses), appear to be designed specifically for regulating core body temperature.

Bears have such natural radiators on their feet pads and the tips of their noses. Dogs have them in their tongues, rabbits have them in their ears, and rats have them in their tails."

I wonder whether the foot pads on BF might function in a similar capacity as bear's pads? In other words, the issue for BF might not be how to stay warm, but how to cool off?

BFF Patron

Well if there are many sightings of them standing in cool mtn. water in heat waves or after considerable exertions, then the hypothesis that they could have heat issues that might be alleviated by novel foot arteriovenous architecture might be something to think about. My understanding is that the foot padding of a Sasquatch is heavy keratinous/calloused outer surface with a fat pad internal to that, just wondering out loud how the anatomy of that would work, perhaps ankles, sides of feet or tops of feet could have a similar network, who knows. From a survival evolutionary standpoint humans would be vulnerable to sharp rocks with arteries near the arch of the underside of their foot. If Sasquatch does not have an arch, perhaps the arterial supplies are distributed differently, again; who knows.

Edited by bipedalist

BFF Patron

Humans can cool down by running cool water on the undersides of their wrists (or submerging them) and by standing in cool water themselves without the need for specialized circulatory structures too, just an afterthought on the arteriovenous anastomoses described in the BFS post above. Referencing both the palmar and plantar arch in specific.

Edited by bipedalist

Guest BFSleuth

Increased capillarization in humans in cold environments also happens, especially in the extremities. High altitude mountain climbers sometimes train with ice baths or similar methods to increase the number of capillaries and blood flow in the hands and feet. I did this myself prior to Mt. McKinley and it does work. The process take 6-8 weeks. Being in cold environments makes relatively warmer environments warm by comparison. After being in -45ºF temperatures on McKinley walking around in flip flops, shorts, and a t-shirt in 30ºF in Talkeetna seemed like the most comfortable thing in the world.

Hi, this might be my first post here - I've signed up at several different forums the last couple of weeks and I don't remember, lol.

Over the last two weeks I've had several experiences with what I think is Sasquatch, so here I am!

I'm in Oregon btw.

In answer to the post -

"no shelters have ever been found. where does a 9 foot creature hide? how does it always know where humans are and stay just out of range? how does a creature do this AND raise its young? "

I found a shelter two days ago. It was a nest made of broken branches and moss.and was quite well camoflaged. If I hadn't ended up SITTING next to it at the campground, I wouldn't have noticed it! But, because I was ground level with it, I looked right into it and thought "wow, that's weird" and then I really said "WOW, THAT IS WEIRD" and looked MUCH more closely, lol.

A nine foot creature hides anywhere it darn well pleases, hehehe. No really, it's fur/hair blends in really well and it holds REALLY still. It's great at hiding, and I think this is because it both hears us bumbling around in the woods, smells us and I do hold to the though that there is some kind of telepathy/empathy going on with these creatures. If they don't have spoken language, they may have evolved other senses more highly, as I do believe they are at least as intelligent as homo habilis or homo erectus was. Since mountain lions and other predators can avoid us pretty easily most of the time, I have no problem thinking BF can also. Also, if they are primarily nocturnal, we humans aren't usually running around the dark woods at night!

Really, I think one of the two I encountered was a juvenile. I think it's parent dropped it off in a relatively "safe" place and went out to do it's thing (whatever adult bigfoots do) and s/he and I interacted. Babies probably stay with their parents, like baby chimpanzees etc do, I would imagine. I'd love to see that!

Anyway, I am just blown away by what has happened to me in the past two weeks and am so delighted to find several groups of folks who are interrested in the same thing, this amazing creature/hominoid.

Since I heard/interacted with "my" BF's within a few miles of a large town, I think (at least this family grouping) is much more curious about humans than is recognized. Our experience was all about mutual curiousity.

Yes, I took about a dozen photos but I don't have the capability to upload pix. I am working on that! If I can make it work, I'd love to show the pix.

To describe what I saw in the meantime:

It was next to a tree on the edge of the greenbelt, in amongst several trees, blackberry bushes and assorted bramble/bushes and grasses. It consisted of about two dozen large 8' long branches with their broken ends leveraged onto the lowest branch of the tree. Some where newly broken and others were more "dead fall" looking. It was approximately 8' long and 4' wide inside. It didn't look "finished" if you know what I mean - it didn't have much moss inside of it and there were several large "uncomfortable" looking branches on the "floor" of it. I looked around at the area surrounding this structure and noted several things. First, on the tree next to it, numerous branches were broken off, starting where branches started at about 6' up. Second, there were about 4 branches bent and dangling that hadn't been broken off, and were hanging nearly straight down off the tree. Third, one of the larger branches, about 12' feet up, had all the bark removed for the first foot or so, which looked odd. Fourth, there was no dead fall wood throughout the day-use area/campground - the forest floor was pretty clear of wood, except small diameter wood. The day use area is on the far side of Cottage Grove Lake (very near where the London Footprints were found last spring), with at least two creeks nearby, backing to forest all the way up the Cascades.