Do Sasquatch Hate All Canines?

Guest tracker

I makes me wonder if it instinctual from the smell or if the dog is picking up something about them from the smell like size and strength or perhaps from some low frequency vocalization.

Some or all of the above? I am not an animal behaviorist, but one always hears that dogs can "smell" fear, or at least react poorly to some body posture/language/actions, and that one should try not to show fear around the animal. In my experience, it is true (have had a lifelong - slight- fear of dogs), and they usually do not react well (becoming overly agressive OR skittish) when I find myself feeling the fear. Are there "fear-amones" that animals can pick up on, and if little ol' me puts them off and gets a bad reaction from a dog, imagine what something like a Sas can put off? Comments from folks more informed on these matters? And there is always the infrasound theory for fear reactions from humans and animals...

or...?

Edited by notgiganto

Admin

I have read several reports where BF was in the company of dogs and the two seemed to be gettin along just fine. But I grant you, in most cases it seems as if there is some hostility between the two.

Guest tracker

I think they consider them the same way moose do.

Moose cannot stand canines, because wolves are predators to moose. Therefore they will go after large or aggressive dogs. They see them as funny looking wolves as the Nat Geo Special on Moose explained. I think that it would not be unusual for Squatches to have run ins with wolves and coyotes at times, so perhaps it is along similar lines. Since domestic dogs, coyotes and wolves belong to the canine family, they may feel domestic dogs will exhibit the same behavior as their wild relatives.

It's also been reported that small dogs are not necessarily treated the same way the larger more aggressive ones, Squatches have been reported to consider them a curiosity.

Just my two cents.

Okay . maybe squatchdetective can change the title to Why do Some Sasquatch Seem to Hate Canines? ( & Cameras). Use kinder gentler words if needed. However IMO most dislike them to a point that some will risk walking into a back yard or campsite to brutally kill a dog. That seems like excessive aggressive behaviour to me when there's no threat. Considering that they normally flee or avoid us, why do this? Why not just leave when detected? I sure some do and then maybe the dog follows and meets a quick end.

Not sure about cats? or I've heard of farm animals being killed before.

So maybe we just don't hear about the gentle encounters with pets? So does anyone have reports of them being nice or gentle towards dogs ,cats, horses? really? Sasfooty, Treeknocker? Anyone?

Okay . maybe squatchdetective can change the title to Why do Some Sasquatch Seem to Hate Canines? ( & Cameras). Use kinder gentler words if needed. However IMO most dislike them to a point that some will risk walking into a back yard or campsite to brutally kill a dog. That seems like excessive aggressive behaviour to me when there's no threat. Considering that they normally flee or avoid us, why do this? Why not just leave when detected? I sure some do and then maybe the dog follows and meets a quick end.

Not sure about cats? or I've heard of farm animals being killed before.

So maybe we just don't hear about the gentle encounters with pets? So does anyone have reports of them being nice or gentle towards dogs ,cats, horses? really? Sasfooty, Treeknocker? Anyone?

You are right. We wouldn't know about the gentler encounters. No body count, or even witnesses, usually. Most encounters with bigfoot by people or dogs or both seem to be encounters that have gone very poorly- i.e Sas is uncomfortable and wants to not be around the people or dogs. Encounters that go well? Maybe the habituators know, but they ain't talking. I was joking about the cat thing (due to my old fear of dogs I am rather a cat person). I don't know of any reliable sightings that include other types of pets or livestock (I am sure they are out there, and my guess is that livestocke react similarly to most dogs: with extreme fear...having watched the steers on my family's property run from God knows what about a thousand times...herd mentality and all)

Some of them must be pretty gentle with animals if they are able to get horses to stand & have their manes braided & twisted. Hubby found one of his horses with a braid one morning, & a neighbor also had one about the same time.

They are probably a lot like us, some like dogs, & some don't. Even the ones that do probably don't mind killing one if they think it's necessary.

I have a few stories, but they get into that "forbidden area", so they are better left untold. :rolleyes:

tracker, I know of one pitbull who is on a chain. That dog goes beserk sometimes. There are reports in the area of the big ones. So far he has never been hit, hurt or had any injuries.. being in both a pen and on a chain may have something to do with that. I know of another report that was made public where the person said the dogs seem to have horrible odors. A visual of a giant was obtained and the dogs involved did not seem scared and apparently they were running off at night and coming back with odors. Another private report I gathered had to do with a small dog that seemed to be beat up but it was ok. It was said to have been observed with several sasquatch (THERE !) which seemed to be playing with it. I was told one of them kicked it once but it seemed none the worse for ware. Another report I noticed was a guard dog that chased a young gangly sasquatch around the yard and it jumped over the fence to get away.

For comparison, I remember a report of an orangutan who was chased by a man with a dog.

It didnt hurt the dog but grabbed the man and tore off his foot. Not saying squatch do that... but its interesting that when animals are agitated, they may do more in defense or retaliation. Whether squatch drop to that level I do not know nor would I want to test them.

There are plenty of reports that suggest sasquatches do not like aggressive dogs. You would think that a pack of wolves might be a problem for them if it was a young single individual but since wolves do not normally hurt people

(and I do not know of the Canadian situations where wolves have been along long term) you would think that these being larger it might be a similar situation (my guess).

Edited by treeknocker

I have read a story were a "gift" was placed on a part of the trail by a person and when they came back there was a kitten there. :unsure:

Not sure if the kitten was dead or a live.

Edited by TKD

Okay this topic has come up in a couple of my other threads. However I think this topic deserves it's own thread.

I agree.

Lets talk about why the huge Sasq seem to hate or are threatened by all canines?

And vice versa.

Usually most dogs run for cover but the odd brave one will go on the hunt and never return. Could it be that the Sasq can't or don't distinguish between big or small threats?

I'm not sure, but it appears fairly consistant that the relationship between sasquatches, yetis, neanderthals, etc, has never been great with canines, unlike humans. Ditto apes and monkeys.

Or are they just annoyed at their presence being detected by a barking pet dog?

I'm seriously annoyed or alert at the barking or presence of a dog. Always.

Guest tracker

I can see Sasq being gentle in a cases where they have become accustomed to the pet and owner. :)

Okay getting back to the opposite end of the dial here. Bf's seem to take a big risk to eliminate a barking dog in our campsites or backyards. Thats unusual behaviour for a creature that constantly hides and flees from us. I understand the kill part if a dog approaches but the entering into close proximity to us to do it is off.Hmmm?

So i say some must hate canines to abandon their normal cautious behaviour. Maybe they just see an opportunity to take out a natural enemy and competitor and switch on their survival aggressive side?

I think they must have some problems with the wolf packs. So maybe it's ingrained from experiences and instinct to kill off a stray canine away from the protection of the pack. Even if it's just someones poor pet dog leashed to a tree. It's lights out for them and one less to worry about. So no matter how many timid encounters are reported. It's still Kill or be killed when living in the wild even with our gentle giants. It's a good thing they like us for the most part.

JMO. tracker. dry.gif

Edited by tracker

Are there any documented reports where dogs were killed by a sasquatch and authorities were called?

Yes, several times. Every read or heard where the "authorities" confirmed the cause of death?

Some people do not like dogs at all.

Some think they are more important than people.

I like dogs. I like dogs a lot. My dog always wags his tail and jumps on me when I come home.

On the other hand, my wife never wags her tail and jumps on me when I come home. :P