What Prompts Howls And Yells?

Recordings of howls and yells and all are pretty common. I always assumed they were howling at human intruders or using it to tell their location to other bf. Some are described as mournful, and I guess we would assume a bf was grieving over a death in the family.

I don't think we have answers to this yet, so really this question may remain unanswered. I posted it to provoke thought. Class B sightings probably have some good data, but we probably don't know enough to make out what is going on. Or do we and I just don't know it?

I wonder if some of the sounds we hear from bigfoot might be associated with various other kinds of life events or whatever.....childbirth? a fight? A hunt? Mating? Territorial disputes or nmmm wars? Rituals? Stolen mates, kidnapped children? Celebrations? Equinoxes or other cosmic events? Full moons? Earthquake/ plate movements?

I am sure those are pretty wild guesses, but I sure would like to know what is going on with the superloud yells, screams, howls, etc

Guest Kronprinz Adam

Recordings of howls and yells and all are pretty common. I always assumed they were howling at human intruders or using it to tell their location to other bf...

Long distance communication? A simple "I'm here, if you're there just answer..." (not very different from central american howler monkeys maybe)..,but we do not know if they try to attract other Bigfoot or to make them go away...I think they simply do not care if humans hear those nocturnal screams or not...for sure no one will try to enter the forest at night and locate the howler...

Could it be possible that some aerial robot would detect these screams and identify their patterns? I think, if some night-operational drone or blimp could locate these screams at night and try to apply a thermal camera to detect the source, it would be great!!!!

Guest BFSleuth

I think late summer or early fall howls may have something to do with territorial display. It seems that the majority of the reported howls happen during this time frame, like the Snohomish and Puyallup howls:

http://www.bfro.net/REF/bfmedia.asp

This is a particularly intriguing report. The witness is on a solo backpack trip in the Marble Mount, CA area. She heard repeated continuous howling of a BF that ran up the valley, climbed a sheer cliff and passed her on the ledge she was sleeping on, then continued up the mountain to the ridge top and continued howling:

http://www.bfro.net/gdb/show_report.asp?id=22434

It is almost like the BF was going to a high point to announce he was "king of the hill".

Guest OntarioSquatch

It is almost like the BF was going to a high point to announce he was "king of the hill".

Interesting. Do you think Sasquatch ever have fights? I wouldn't be surprised if they don't.

That certainly would be an amazing event to behold. Two fur covered giants, vying for that small advantage that could mean victory, striking at their opponent, their fists landing with the force of a swung baseball bat. Their missed strikes crunching tree trunks and shattering saplings through.

Wow. If I ever see Bigfoot, I want to see two fighting.

As to the actual topic of the thread, I would guess that their long range calls have varied meanings depending on the pitch and the kind of vocalization we're talking about. I would assume that a great many are greetings, and some are even territorial proclimations. The ones that I've heard were of two basic sorts. The first one was a 'Hello! Anyone else there?' sort of call. It was long and drawn out, echoing everywhere. The others were warning cries, telling me to back off of their territory/location.

Some of them might even be looking for a fight though. I can see a young male on his own looking to replace an alpha male of a family and gain himself breeding rights through combat, letting out a yell that would be challenging any family group in the area.

Guest OntarioSquatch

I've read reports of them fighting, such as this one:

http://www.texasbigf...port/detail/367

Not sure if this was play fighting or serious combat, I can imagine how awe inspiring it would be to witness such an event.

Crazy lol. I guess being spotted by humans is worse than losing a fight :lol:

http://www.bfro.net/...rt.asp?id=22434

This story makes me think of the times when humans are severely distressed and react by

doing something requiring great physical capacity. I read a story of Mark Harmon, the actor, having suffered a sad, life changing event, ran the equivalent of a marathon (26 miles) through the streets of Los Angeles.

It's as though his emotional response had to play itself out in a dramatic physical way. In the case

of this bigfoot, the response was accompanied by the wailing of a creature in great distress.

Guest MikeG

What prompts howls and yells?

Have you seen the size of the purported sasquatch scat? I'm surprised we don't hear MORE howls and screams as a result!!!! :D

Mike

You spend enough time in the Eastern California Sierras from just South of Lake Tahoe up to Mt Shasta, you come to regard bigfoot vocalizations as a commonplace nightly event. The long low moan howls, in my opinion, are how groups announce their location to other groups, or how lone traveling squatch announce their travel and direction. I'm certain that they can distinguish individual "voices". What other information beyond position might be carried in the tonal quality of the howl, I can only speculate. I'm honestly surprised that researchers have not yet parked themselves on a mountaintop with parabolic antennae for a week or two simply for the purpose of mapping out how many squatch are within howling distance and their approximate locations. They do it with whales and by using instrumentation are capable of recognizing individual pods. Why hasn't anyone tried this with squatch?

Thsi would be significant forensic evidence with meaningful value.

The whoops, screeches, and bird calls are all close range (mile or less) "pings" to let other squatch know where they are. Each vocalization probably has its own meaning.

A squatch positioned to watch people will make some strange and varied calls on occassion, that are usually answered from close by. Two reported to me from Missouri recently are a deep-voiced humanlike "Ha, Ha, Ha, Haarrgh" beginning in a laugh and ending in a loud growl from just inside the woodline forty feet from the porch, answered from a hundred yards downslope, and repeated from just inside the woodline (mid-evening). More recently, just before dawn, they reported a loud growl that transitioned into an owl call that must of come from the biggest and loudest owl in the world.

Edited by JDL

Guest peter
Equinoxes or other cosmic events? Full moons? Earthquake/ plate movements?

I vote for moon phases and amount of daylight triggering biological moods triggering certain vocalizations

MikeG,

Ha ! Ha ! Ya beat me to it ! Good'n !

I'm not positive, but seems to me most, if not a great many animals makes calls of one sort or another, only makes sense that sasquatchs do as well.

Pat...

Guest BFSleuth

I read that some African tribes use a form of shouting in the evenings from long distances as a way to communicate news. Perhaps some of these BF howls may be their form of Squatchernet?

i figure its when mr squatch finds Ms squatch looking especially alluring in the moonlight....sort of the backwoods version of barry white