What Prompts Howls And Yells?

You spend enough time in the Eastern California Sierras from just South of Lake Tahoe up to Mt Shasta, you come to regard bigfoot vocalizations as a commonplace nightly event. The long low moan howls, in my opinion, are how groups announce their location to other groups, or how lone traveling squatch announce their travel and direction. I'm certain that they can distinguish individual "voices". What other information beyond position might be carried in the tonal quality of the howl, I can only speculate. I'm honestly surprised that researchers have not yet parked themselves on a mountaintop with parabolic antennae for a week or two simply for the purpose of mapping out how many squatch are within howling distance and their approximate locations. They do it with whales and by using instrumentation are capable of recognizing individual pods. Why hasn't anyone tried this with squatch?

Thsi would be significant forensic evidence with meaningful value.

This was done from 98' to 2003 by John Andrews, Richard Grover and Nancy Smith in Snohomish county Washington. This page takes some time to load, but worth the wait. I consider them some of my favorites. If I lived there thats what I'd be doing.

http://www.sasquatchresearch.net/vocalizations.html

The whoops, screeches, and bird calls are all close range (mile or less) "pings" to let other squatch know where they are. Each vocalization probably has its own meaning.

I agree on the whoops, sort of a close range locator or "who's there" call. I have a couple recordings of the humanlike owl call also.

We really have no idea what they mean. I find it interesting that many researchers use calls not knowing what they are communicating. How do they know they aren't sounding the warning call that tells all BF to scatter from danger? Several monkeys use whoop-like calls to warn of danger. Why not BF?

17x7

Guest OntarioSquatch

The most likely explanation I can think of is communication between their own species. But then that's pretty obvious.

Edited by OntarioSquatch

Perhaps we can get some actual correlations (Pearson r's) between vocalizations and things like season time of day, location, other activities, etc.

from the contact/sighting classifications database (coding of BFRO Reports is currently underway). There are many 'empirical questions'

to be addressed given a database of this size and comprehensiveness,

We really have no idea what they mean. I find it interesting that many researchers use calls not knowing what they are communicating. How do they know they aren't sounding the warning call that tells all BF to scatter from danger? Several monkeys use whoop-like calls to warn of danger. Why not BF?

17x7

Some vocalizations do elicite a response, they are used to to generate interest from the responders in you. If they investigate you, then you have a chance to detect them doing that. It is no different than biologists doing this with other species calls to locate a species in a specific area, it simply helps to identify locations for other methods to be implemented. You don't need the meaning of a vocalization as much as a functional method of data aquisition. Experimentation and results finds what works. The characteristics in the responses gives you clues if you are on target.

Guest toejam

What prompts howls and yells?

After frequenting my area persistently for a year, I arrived one morning giving a wood knock as I entered. Within a few minutes a very loud WOO from very close echoed out just after I'd passed it.

Almost immediately it's mate called back from maybe a hundred yards. I believe it was a warning that I was there. I tried to flush the initial caller but my attempt was unsuccessful. I believe I was on the wrong side of the trail.

This was done from 98' to 2003 by John Andrews, Richard Grover and Nancy Smith in Snohomish county Washington. This page takes some time to load, but worth the wait. I consider them some of my favorites. If I lived there thats what I'd be doing.

http://www.sasquatch...alizations.html

Some cool vocalizations there. The second one, second column is funny where it sounds like a tree crash and the people go scurrying for their cars! LoL!

I think late summer or early fall howls may have something to do with territorial display. It seems that the majority of the reported howls happen during this time frame, like the Snohomish and Puyallup howls:

The only vocalization I've heard personally and believe to be genuine was early fall where a few weird things also happened in my presence, spread out over 3-4 years in the same area and same time of year. It was a howl very similar to the deep raspy howl in the following link to John Andrew's recordings posted by southernyahoo. Most, if not all the howls recorded by John andrews and his friends were in the spring time.

http://www.sasquatch...alizations.html

Just a couple weeks ago (March 15), a fellow named Mike Palecek recorded these howls in Minnesota. It gets real interesting at about the 1:30 mark.

http://sasquatchbioa...ls-from-st.html

Edited by Kindareal

Just a couple weeks ago (March 15), a fellow named Mike Palecek recorded these howls in Minnesota. It gets real interesting at about the 1:30 mark.

http://sasquatchbioa...ls-from-st.html

Those are impressive. Monongahela is doing a good job of collecting and critiquing many prospective Sas vocals.

The production of quantal vowels /a/ and /u/ is predicted in hominid vocalizations from published science.

http://www.cog.brown...ts%20anatom.pdf

Stevens demonstrated that the quantal vowels , , and

[a] have perceptually salient acoustic correlates that can be

produced while minimizing the need for precise motor control.

Perceptual salience results from the convergence of two

formant frequencies, yielding spectral peaks (Fant 1960) (fig.

2). For the second and third formants, F2 and F3, converge

at a high frequency; for [a], F2 and F1 converge at the midpoint

of the frequency spectrum; for , F1 and F2 converge

at a low frequency. Using quantal vowels would be similar to

communicating with flags that have brilliant saturated colors.

Other vowels, whose formants do not converge, produce formant

patterns analogous to flags differentiated by pastel colors.

Stevens demonstrated that if an abrupt area-function

discontinuity occurs at the midpoint of the supralaryngeal

vocal tract, the tongue can move back and forth as much as

1 cm without appreciably changing the formant frequencies.

They are basicly screaming .."I'm a hominid ".... when they do that. :)

Edited by southernyahoo

Guest Roland Roscoe

In 3 areas I have been in CO Rockies, MT Rockies and CA Sierras I have heard screams/howls but allot of things scream and howl... But what blew me away was very close whistles and like a clacking noise... The whistles were going on for the last week of two week stays in all these areas... What was amazing is that the whistles always happened when I went into the RV as like a call to come back out or look out which I did often... Never saw a thing though... Not to say it was BF, but I can not explain them away...

Do these creatures whistle...? Why would they whistle...?

The whistle is exactly like that a man would whistle sound wise...

Whistling is commonly reported with bigfoot activity. Other apes whistle too. Check out this orangutan

Guest Roland Roscoe

Hmm very good to see someone answer this, But, there are no orangs in N. America, if so how did they learn to whistle, and 3rd this was a probably a cage born and raised orang with massive human input...

On the other hand there are no Orangs in N. America, not to dog ya but i see leaps and bounds here in faith... Or you thinK i am a simple minded person, in which you would be wrong...

Now who would be so stupid or feeble to hide from me for a week doing this... makes absolutly no sense for a human, yet the way it happened in 3 differing places was way to human...

please understand i utilize very dispersed camping, where humans really dont tread, and certianly dont spend a week whistling at me..

• 5 months later...

The Big Kahuna Call- from one big creature on its own gets reply from our 1995 Recording type and another Big Kahuna Call. I have only heard this vocalization once and I have never heard anything like it before or since. It happened before dawn from the top of a mountain in Sept. 1999.

The Loud Moan/Howl- so far always starts on its own from one creature with no reply. Day or Night, Spring thru Fall.

Single Loud Howl/Yell- from one creature in reply to our calls or coyotes. It makes the coyotes shut up. Day or Night. Year Round.

Our 1995 Recording Type- from one creature in reply to our calls or other BF. Night. Summer thru Fall.

Single Man-like Yell- from one creature in reply to our calls or when getting too close to them. Day or Night. Year Round.

Howler Monkey Type- from one creature, on its own. Dawn. Spring and Fall.

Whoop Type- from one or more creatures, on their own. Day or Night. Spring thru Fall.

Whistles- from one or more creatures on their own or in reply to our whistles. Day or Night. Year Round.

This is just from the top of my head without my field notes from my research area in Oregon. I don't know what the vocalizations mean, but I try to keep track of if it came from one or more creatures, did it get a reply, time of day and year, moon phase, elevation, etc.