Vietnam Rock Apes And Indochina

Guest poignant

• 4 months later...

That's no Hominid Ape, or anything that could be confused for one.

I'd suspect an Ape from Vietnam to have a slit nose, yeah? No need for a hooded nose like a human or a Sasquatch because it's so warm there?

It's a red-shanked langur

I do believe you are correct. But it really doesn't look like there is any red on the legs, and the fellow described it that way

hips were black all the way down to the feet

However, it's hard to tell by those b/w photos one way or the other, but I would think the guy would remember the bright red legs. I am no expert on the Red Shanked Langer however, and didn't even know about them until you made your post, so perhaps some have the all black legs.

Edited by Rockape

That's no Hominid Ape, or anything that could be confused for one.

I do believe what the soldier is holding is what they referred to as "Rock Apes" (and most likely a Red Shanked Langer at that) but they have over time become confused with what some say is a BF type creature in Viet Nam, most likely because these ones like the soldier killed were known to throw rock, and because BF is known for rock throwing it became a cause of confusion.

You can see here by this quote from another page there was some confusion even among the soldiers that saw them.

Linderer was the closest team member to the hubbub, his heart was jumping in his chest as he watched and waited for the intruder.

While he was ready for a VC soldier, he wasn't ready for the face that peered through the underbrush. If it was a Viet Cong soldier, then it was a **** ugly one! An oblong head framed the hair-covered face. Dark, deep-set eyes lay beneath a prominent brow, and they did nothing to complement the heavy jowls and angry mouth. As it stepped into a small clearing, Linderer could see that matted reddish-brown hair ran down the creature's neck and covered most of its body. Whatever it was, it stood at least five feet tall, had broad shoulders, long thick muscular arms, and a heavy torso. It walked upright. In the small clearing, it stopped and studied the Americans.

"What the hell is that?" someone called out from behind Linderer.

"It's a rock ape," said another team member. Another team member disagreed. "No, it ain't," he said. "I've seen rock apes, and that sure as hell isn't a rock ape!" "It's an orangutan, isn't it?" Linderer asked while the others kept their eyes glued on the strange creature. "Well, if it is, then he can't read a map. There are no orangutans in Vietnam."

The apelike creature soon lost interest in the six LRRPs, turned back the way it had come, and easily climbed back up the steep rise. "It's an ape of some kind," one of the LRRPs said. "It has to be." But then, maybe it wasn't.

Edited by Rockape

It's a red-shanked langur

I do believe you are correct. But it really doesn't look like there is any red on the legs, and the fellow described it that way

hips were black all the way down to the feet

However, it's hard to tell by those b/w photos one way or the other, but I would think the guy would remember the bright red legs. I am no expert on the Red Shanked Langer however, and didn't even know about them until you made your post, so perhaps some have the all black legs.

http://www.arkive.or...age-G75756.html

Must be a grey shanked douc, or langur then.

Edited by barncat

• 4 weeks later...
Guest David37

I read Rockapes posting of 15May12 with some interest. I was at Phu Bai from 68 till 70, it was mainly a big ammo dump that they protected by a constant barrage of outgoing 105mm artillery (seemed like they were right next to my cot) all night every night.. They plastered the hills as far as they could reach so the patrol mentioned in the posting must have been out of sight of the base a ways. Pretty much empty land out there, if you keep going you could end up in the Ashau valley I think. Anyway I heard a lot of stories there but besides the regular apes I never heard about anything like a bigfoot though that's not to say somebody didn't see something like a bigfoot.