Any Veterinarians Here? Question About Accessible Tranquilizers.

Let's say I have effectively snared and restrained a Bigfoot on the ground in the field. In order to move the creature to a containment vehicle, I would need to tranquilize it.

Since the strong, fast-acting tranquilizers are not available to the general public, is there a slow-acting, over-the-counter tranquilizer I could use that is available to someone who is not a licensed vet? And one that could be fired from a tranquilizer gun?

What do these old boys use on the farm when they need to tranquilize animals? They can't all be licensed!

Guest MikeG

I don't know about the law where you are, but in most parts of the western world that I am familiar with, handling tranquilisers for this purpose requires a licence. I would suggest that anyone who answers this request consider carefully before giving advice that may or may not be legal.

Mike

Nothing illegal please!! I'm assuming the ONLY answer to the question on how one would tranquilize a Bigfoot is that you would need to be a vet or have one with you!

How else can someone 'knock out' a Bigfoot? Can a Taser gun hold one at bay while it is being transported?

BFF Patron

There was a similar thread on BFF1.0 btw (Archives, Premium area must have a hundred posts and pay to join). Involved some statements about international shipments of tranquilizers and stuff and was something to be leery about for sure MikeG. You might want to try to find that thread in archives MikeG just as a heads up. Can't remember the OP/thread starter by former member name but they did not stay around long.

Edited by bipedalist

Guest MikeG

BP.........you can trawl around in the depths of BFF 1.0 if you want........but I won't be doing that!!! Especially not knowing what I'm looking for.

Now, Sommersby, which is it? Do you have a BF snared and restrained on the ground in a field, or is it on the load bed of your truck?

If I have a live Bigfoot strapped in the bed of my truck, where would I go & who would I contact first? Police? The local news station? A university?

What if it is killed, where would I take the body?

Mike

BFF Patron

I said it was a heads up, couldn't give a rats azz about it myself.

Guest OntarioSquatch

Now, Sommersby, which is it? Do you have a BF snared and restrained on the ground in a field, or is it on the load bed of your truck?

That's also what I'm wondering. Or maybe summersby has one hanging around his backyard and just needs a tranquilizer?

They use controlled substances to tranquilize orangutans. Ketamine is sometimes a recreational drug called special K and probably other names. The dosage tolerance range is very high for Ketamine/xylazine at 2.60 to 22.6 mg/kg when used for orangutans. I imagine there are substances like designer drugs that would work that haven't been regulated yet. If you found something like that, it probably wouldn't be practical. They need to have medical type people involved in case it has problems with the drugs. One thing I noticed on a recent nature show was that they had to move an elephant because it fell resting on its front legs and would have suffocated if they didn't move it. Most people aren't going to be aware of things like that so it still requires a veterinarian just from a moral perspective.

http://books.google....%2Bwild&f=false

I think the people that regulate the drugs would be very upset. Drugs like that are obviously really dangerous in the wrong hands. There may even be laws that would cover any substance that could be used to knock someone out. You could probably use ethyl ether or chloroform like they used to use to do before surgery. I am sure everyone has seen how those substances can be used with a soaked cloth covering the mouth and nose. They even used it on King Kong I believe. I imagine that is what the gas bombs were. That obviously wouldn't work as a dart. I would hate to be the guy that was chosen to put his hand over the sasquatch mouth with a cloth soaked in ether. People that run game ranches might be able to get a prescription for controlled substances. I don't know if the veterinarian being present is a legal requirement.

This is all hypothetical. One must have a plan in place if we are going to catch one of these things, right?

If it is snared in the field, how would I load a living, breathing, pissed off Bigfoot into a truck so that it can be restrained for transportation?

I have read that a Taser gun would be effective, and they are available to the GP. However, once restrained, how would one keep the creature calm? A bag over the head? Should I immediately take the Bigfoot to a large animal vet so it can be sedated?

Dr. Banks: [going through the roughnecks' medical reports] Fail. Fail. Depressively fail! One toxicology analysis revealed ketamin, that is a very powerful sedative!

Harry Stamper: Sedatives are used all the time, doctor.

Dr. Banks: Well this one's used on horses.

Harry Stamper: Some of these guys are pretty big.

If one of Harry Stamper's roughnecks could lay his hands on ketamin, I don't see why you can't.

Guest Lone Squatcher

Dr. Banks: [going through the roughnecks' medical reports] Fail. Fail. Depressively fail! One toxicology analysis revealed ketamin, that is a very powerful sedative!

Harry Stamper: Sedatives are used all the time, doctor.

Dr. Banks: Well this one's used on horses.

Harry Stamper: Some of these guys are pretty big.

If one of Harry Stamper's roughnecks could lay his hands on ketamin, I don't see why you can't.

Only in the movies.

Sure. I could get something on the black market, but I don't have those kind of connections :) I need something I can legally obtain...a taser gun instead?

This is all hypothetical. One must have a plan in place if we are going to catch one of these things, right?

If it is snared in the field, how would I load a living, breathing, pissed off Bigfoot into a truck so that it can be restrained for transportation?

I have read that a Taser gun would be effective, and they are available to the GP. However, once restrained, how would one keep the creature calm? A bag over the head? Should I immediately take the Bigfoot to a large animal vet so it can be sedated?

I think you've piqued more than curiosity about your hypothetical situations. Do you intend to try one of your scenarios? Where did you read a taser gun would be effective...on a BF??

Sure. I could get something on the black market, but I don't have those kind of connections :) I need something I can legally obtain...a taser gun instead?

I'm pretty sure a taser gun would only p*** it off.

Edited by Rockape

Tasers are extremely close range, defensive weapons. Weapon might be an exaggeration. Trust me, not an option.

Drug darts are also a very close range article. Ain't nothing that reaches out 400 yards except for a chunk o' lead at high speeds.

Capturing any creature at such distances is a pipe dream, short of triggering a snare or net of some kind. Effective tranquilizer drugs are necessarily controlled, and their purchase tracked by the federal government.

Sorry, but better to consider other venues.