What Happens If Dna Suggests Sasquatch Have Bred With Humans?

Guest shoot1

A possibly more realistic scenerio was that when young Indian women wanted to chase after the fellas from elsewhere ... it was to their benefit to tell their elders that 'Sasquatch' had kidnapped them.

True, but it would more likely be their husband or family they would be concerned with not knowing the truth rather than elders. And no doubt that could explain some stories, but Native American communities were rather close knit, even neighboring tribes would be familiar with each other and many related by marriage or straight blood. So most times they would know the truth of what is going on and a "Squatch kidnapped me" story wouldn't sell.

There are also tales of the women having "strange children" who usually didn't live long and couldn't learn the language and mannerisms.

All that said I'm not trying the stories are true, just attempting to add to the conversation from what I have read.

Guest thermalman

Chromosome pairs.....Humans 46, Gorillas/ chimps 48......making successful breeding an impossibility.

Edited by thermalman

Guest BFSleuth

Chromosome pairs.....Humans 46, Gorillas/ chimps 48......making successful breeding an impossibility.

I was intrigued by your statement and tried to do some online research, seems like humans have 46 chromosomes in 23 pairs and apes have 48 chromosomes in 24 pairs. It is agreed that this is correct, human/ape breeding isn't possible. I thought I'd read somewhere that it may be possible for species with differing numbers of chromosomes to mate and came up with this:

http://www.slate.com/articles/news_and_politics/explainer/2006/11/humanderthals.html

"Some closely related species can mate even if they have different numbers of chromosomes. Przewalski's horse, for example, has 33 pairs of chromosomes instead of the 32 most horses have, but it can interbreed with regular equines anyway—the offspring takes the average and ends up with 65 chromosomes."

The Przealski Horse is postulated as a Progenitor Species of all horses.

I also ran across this paper published in Science, "A Draft Sequence of the Neandertal Genome". This is way beyond my knowledge of genetics. However, this type of paper that would be the likely manner in with the upcoming Ketchum Report will written. Very technical, and the reason why most people never read the scientific papers about DNA and only read how the science section of their local paper or favorite online publication present it:

http://www.sciencemag.org/content/328/5979/710.full

Guest vilnoori

Wow, that's a who's who list of who to ask about analyzing sasquatch dna--if they take you seriously, that is! Great article.

Looky here! From the same article,

Although gene flow between different populations need not be bidirectional, it has been shown that when a colonizing population (such as anatomically modern humans) encounters a resident population (such as Neandertals), even a small number of breeding events along the wave front of expansion into new territory can result in substantial introduction of genes into the colonizing population as introduced alleles can “surf†to high frequency as the population expands. As a consequence, detectable gene flow is predicted to almost always be from the resident population into the colonizing population, even if gene flow also occurred in the other direction (83). Another prediction of such a surfing model is that even a very small number of events of interbreeding can result in appreciable allele frequencies of Neandertal alleles in the present-day populations. Thus, the actual amount of interbreeding between Neandertals and modern humans may have been very limited, given that it contributed only 1 to 4% of the genome of present-day non-Africans.

Edited by vilnoori

• 2 weeks later...

Working Hypothesis: Modern human characteristics dominate in hybridization events.

Possible Evidence:

a. Modern humans are the dominant hominid on the planet.

b. Contributions from neanderthal DNA are only 1%-4%.

c. Reported matings between extant hairy hominids and modern humans consistently produce reportedly hairless offspring with a few recessive characteristics from the hairy hominid parent.

d. Offspring of the reported hybrids appear to have few characteristics that are not modern human.

Have we, over the millenia, bred competing hominids out of existence?

Edited by JDL

BFF Patron

Naw, the Miami face-eater is a throwback hairy hominid hybridized demon of the nth degree. :o

Just be glad he ain't a Zombie!