Bigfoot Options

In my eyes there are 2 different options for Bigfoot. They are either supernatural or they do not exist. It just seems entirely impossible for a breeding population to be "sighted" in every state in the US, over 100 years, and not have a shred of verifiable evidence. And since I do not believe in the supernatural, I think you know where I come out on this...What say you?

I once thought Bigfoot was probably real. A few people claimed to have seen something incredible. Some tracks were found.

Then, the idea of Bigfoot was spread, first by "men's entertainment" magazines, then books, film, and later, and most importantly, by television, especially content starved cable television. Now, Bigfoot is literally everywhere. I live in a major city, Dallas, and I have found sighting reports originating in open areas only 45 minutes north and south from where I am sitting now.

Since the dubious ubiquitous Bigfoot is not distinguishable from its more reasonable PNW cousin by appeal to the evidence, I figure the evidence is at fault.

A paranormal Bigfoot never computed.

Guest toejam

Ever had the notion that we're dealing with an intelligent species that has an unprecedented ability to evade us?

You want the answer? Get out in the field, persistently. That's the only way you're going to know at this point.

BFF Patron

High strangeness and higher intelligence was the hallmark I saw in the movements of several unknown bipeds. Ever since, I have a high degree of tolerance in listening to member sighting reports and other folk's interpretations and details of what it is that they see that is not quite a typical everyday occurrence... (mine maintained bipedal posture at all times visualized). I am always reminded of Bob "Action" Jackson's description of how the hairy biped picked his path of escape to include all trees and brush in zigzagging down and away on an open meadow-like slope with skills of an evading, thinking animal.

Edited by bipedalist

In answer to the OP:

The "do not exist" part doesn't work, so what does that leave you with?

Guest BFSleuth

The two options in the OP don't include the option of a highly intelligent animal with language that also has a range of perceptual and communication abilities humans don't have. These aren't dumb animals.

I have four options.

1. Intelligent and highly adapted humanoid being.

2. Includes above , but with supernatural abilities.

3. One **** lucky bipedal Gorilla.

4. Nonexistence.

Nonexistence is last, if I ever get there then I'll have little interest and will move on.

Guest Darrell

Well either they exist or they dont, but can they Sort of exist? IMO giving bigfoot supernatural and paranormal abilities and attributing superhuman attributes is only a way to explain away the holes in rational reasoning as to why they cant be found.

Not necessarily.

Mostly, the ones that are attributing supernatural abilities to them, are the people that have already "found" them.

BFF Patron
....and not have a shred of verifiable evidence....

Malarkey, multiple people observe the same unknown bipeds with enough frequency that it serves as documented evidence that many wish to shred (but can't).

Edited by bipedalist

Guest Particle Noun

Well either they exist or they dont, but can they Sort of exist? IMO giving bigfoot supernatural and paranormal abilities and attributing superhuman attributes is only a way to explain away the holes in rational reasoning as to why they cant be found.

This just doesn't scan for me.

A small population of intelligent hominids, who've lived alongside man for as long as we've been man, and possibly have learned to avoid us, might bury their dead, might migrate long distances, might have the ability to hide in terrain much better than we and to be aware of our presence much better than we can, etc etc. None of that is supernatural. It might seem unlikley, but it is not impossible, and not supernatural.

Setting up false dichotomies isn't skeptical. It demonstrates the lack of imagination in a lot of skeptical thought. And not 'imagination' in the derisive sense, but in the sense of being able to take all realistically possible options into consideration.

I'm not trying to lay smack on you personally, I just don't understand the need to relegate it to that binary situation.

Guest Particle Noun

Yes, the are mights. But they are not supernatural superhuman mights as you claim.

The hole, would be in our inability to make sense of an ability through science at some given point in time, but that doesn't mean science could never explain it. So consider the terms "supernatural" or "paranormal" as temporary descriptors. If it weren't for the physical evidence and the inescapable consequence of making sounds as terrestrial biological entities this phenomenon "would" be more akin to some sort of mass delusion to me, but that's just not the case.

Guest WesT

I once thought Bigfoot was probably real. A few people claimed to have seen something incredible. Some tracks were found.

Then, the idea of Bigfoot was spread, first by "men's entertainment" magazines, then books, film, and later, and most importantly, by television, especially content starved cable television. Now, Bigfoot is literally everywhere. I live in a major city, Dallas, and I have found sighting reports originating in open areas only 45 minutes north and south from where I am sitting now.

Well, that may be the truth as you see it and how it all unfolded from your perspective. But the FACT is, it's a subject that has been around a long time.

The defining characteristic of the figure is its "wildness"; from the 12th century they were consistently depicted as being covered with hair. Images of wild men appear in the carved and painted roof bosses where intersecting ogee vaults meet in the Canterbury Cathedral, in positions where one is also likely to encounter the vegetal Green Man.

373px-Wilder_Mann_mit_umgeh%C3%A4ngtem_Wappen_1487.jpg

Source