Is Proving Bigfoot Exists A Good Idea?

Ace, do you work for Coca-Cola?

I don't think you all will be so blase'. I'd like to help you through this difficult time, should it come. Perhaps this will provide you a little guidance. Your seven stages, if you will:

Shock / denial:

You may react to learning of the existence of sasquatches with stunned incredulity. At some level you will still want to deny their existence to avoid the cognitive dissonance. This stage can last from a few weeks to many years and is some protection from being mentally overwhelmed by the fantastic turning out to be true. Keep saying to yourself that you are not insane.

Pain / guilt:

After the initial shock dissipates, there is almost unbearable cognitive dissonance. To pass this stage, you must acknowledge it and try to work through it. You feel regret and guilt because of past behavior toward “believers.†Encourage them to say, “I told you so,†as many times as they like.

Going ape:

Shock and guilt are soon replaced by anger and frustration. Do not publically flame believers or start blogs during this stage, you will only embarrass yourself. There is no one to blame here. Remind yourself, “They told me so.â€

BF blues:

Retreat to your den, shop, or garage, and watch ESPN. Do not drink to excess, just try not to think about it for a time.

Surrender to the squatch:

You will begin to accept that bigfoot is real. Life becomes a little more normal, at least as normal as it can ever be now that you find yourself sharing this planet with another species of hominin. This is a good time to make peace with the people you formerly laughed at.

At peace:

The forest looks different to you, knowing they lurk. This final stage is one of a growing understanding and acceptance of your hairy neighbors. You can deal with the reality now. Life will never be the same, to say nothing of hunting, camping, and hiking. You may not be happy about it, but you understand it. You can finally bring yourself to eat jerky again.

Edited by Kings Canyon

Purely my opinion, but it'll only be a good idea IF and WHEN we have reliable knowledge and data on them. The real work should be done long before the reality of their existence is released to the public. That way, a little knowledge can go a long way to relieving the natural fear and curiosity that will accompany the big revelation. As well, that would allow prep time for all the legal mumbo-jumbo to ensure people aren't going out to "get one" since by that time, too much knowledge may inspire some to want to kill one.

KC, just so you know, I won't be shocked at all if BF is proven to exist (or existed). I really won't; although that doesn't mean I believe it exists now. If bigfoot is proven, I will sit on my painted porch with a Diet Coke (I misspoke before, as I think Coke is much too sweet and Diet is less so).

"How ridiculous and how strange to be surprised at anything that happens in life!" - MA

Lets go off the deep end here, into fringe speculation land. What if it is a race of man? What if it does have language, and comprehensive intelligence? They pay no tax's, care nothing about property ownership,government, etc. They simply live in much simpler, much more harmonious earth friendly way than we do. And we of course, equate that to unintelligent, because we are foolish that way. If they are a race of man, then suddenly there is a lot to consider,there could be much more societal impact than some might expect. As well as books like Missing 411 could, and would certainly make for some more serious negative impact.

BFSleuth, sorry for my 2b infraction it was ment to be a little bit tongue in cheek (although possible). you edited the part that said "if they are found to be human like" which kinda changes my concerns. If the Sasquach are just a bunch of big cheeky monkeys I dont think much will change for them. If they have human atributes things would be a little more complicated. if there is a language you know someone is going to want to talk to them and after that relationships will be forged and the rest will be history. I hope humans learn from mistakes made in the past and treat these "different" people with respect.

Guest BFSleuth

No problems, Nakani! I agree that it will be much better for both BF and humans if we allow them to be without human interference. It may require us to rethink how and where we develop land, which in the long run will be beneficial for our future generations.

Of course, a lot will depend on the human reaction.....Ah, but how about the other side? :unsure:

It may become clear to the sasquatches that the jig is up, their cover is blown, that the cat hath escaped the bag. And how will they react? Will they sheepishly come out of hiding? Will they try to pretend it didn't happen? Or roar in anger and pop our heads off in their frustration? Will they take the opportunity to evict us from our digs where they are near their homes? Who knows what they might do? That is the part I kinda worry about.

We cannot feel much comfort for our own part. Will the human general public, as a mass, react the same way individuals who witnessed sasquatch, live and in person, have reacted in the past? In one way, guided by media, perhaps? Shock, stunned silence, denial, obsession? Or react with scientific curiosity? With tabloid enthusiasm? Will we welcome our new cousins with open arms, shiny objects, apples, and song, or with large and numerous hound dogs, gunpowder, TNT, and warfarin?

It will be interesting, that is for sure.

It will be interesting, that is for sure.

I agree. It will be interesting, that is for sure! The thing I have going for me is I've been in some "deep" woods. If there is such a beast it can probably live for several hundred years (the species) after me without being "found".

I'm not worried about it being "discovered". It either is or it isn't. Ultimately I'm just a speck in the grand scheme of things, so if something else is found, cool. Long after me they'll be talking about early man, neanderthal, thinking man, smart, smart-smart and all that-man, sexy man, realy sexy/hung man and blah blah man. So, yeah, if I could name it, it'd be "interesting man" :)

Edited by Ace!

Guest COGrizzly

^ Still laughing......and for the record, I am that "blah blah man", not the really "sexy/hung man"....though Maureen wishes so.

No offense intended folks...

Guest OntarioSquatch

I think we are forgetting how hard it is to come across one. I mean, if some of the best researchers were to go out tomorrow in Washington searching for Bigfoot, what are the chances they will actually find one? Slim to none I'd say. I can't imagine how we're going to give them diseases and that sort of thing.

We won't give them any diseases they haven't already been exposed to by going through our trash, coming in to our homes, or kidnapping people.

Is it hard to come across one? Or just hard to see the one you came across?

Kings Canyon, your right BF probably has a pretty high constitution, although I would hate to think BF has to resort to dumpster diving very often. Im not to worryed about them getting a sore tummy. I was thinking more about somthing I read about small pox (I dont remember the year or how they confirmed their facts) the BF population was hit pretty hard, or so they said. Anyways, It made me think due to our limited close contact they would not have the immunity we have when it comes to what ails us. If humans and BF develop some kind of relationship it would be only a matter of time before some human Bigfoot tourist started an epidemic.

BF just hasnt kidnapped the wrong person yet (or mabee he has we dont know for sure).

Lets go off the deep end here, into fringe speculation land. What if it is a race of man? What if it does have language, and comprehensive intelligence? They pay no tax's, care nothing about property ownership,government, etc. They simply live in much simpler, much more harmonious earth friendly way than we do. And we of course, equate that to unintelligent, because we are foolish that way. If they are a race of man, then suddenly there is a lot to consider,there could be much more societal impact than some might expect. As well as books like Missing 411 could, and would certainly make for some more serious negative impact.

I think you are giving the human race far too much credit. With all the hoo ha about religion, evolution and the like, I doubt even if they were classed as a human species, that most poeple would think of them as "people". Alot of folks would just think of them as "pretty smart" for an animal.

We humans are pretty nasty things with inflated egos.