Operation Persistence

Notr trying to get off track so I will be brief. Bipto I just listened to the track of the "get back" that you posted in response to a question about it. When was that captured and was that a human speaking at the very end or more sounds from an "unknown subject"? Thanks for taking the time to answer all these questions for us and keep up the great work!

Edited by Ky Woodsman

That was picked up by a mic somewhat removed from the position of the investigators present. They didn't hear it at the time (we assume due to the large amount of insect noise) which is why it wasn't found until months later, and then only by chance. When our investigators speak, they are plainly audible. Much more than the unknown vocalizations. When I first heard it, I though it was one of our guys, but it's not. What you hear is *only* the vocalization, not any sound made by our people.

With regard to what it sounds like, that's open to interpretation. We content that it's not English or any other language. It's either a meaningless jumble of sounds that we interpret to be speech (because we're wired to process sound that way) or it's mimicry of some of the things the investigators were saying (though you can be assured they were *not* telling them to get back).

If you have new recordings of that, I would like to hear it.

We haven't found any recordings yet of more chatter, though we still have much to review.

Primates vocalize, as all animals do, and some of that vocalization might have meaning, but that's not language. The NYTimes article is a good to read to understand how animals use "meaningful sounds" that are simple nothing like language and syntax and the like.

Big +1

This is just a suggestion, but if it is speaking to you, it has a human vocal tract. Speech sounds are grounded in physics, and known required physiology. Any ape that can reproduce those sounds is considered genus homo by science. If you have new recordings of that, I would like to hear it.

Parrots can mimic human speech, but do so VERY different means tha humans do.

My sister married well and travels quite a bit. Several times she has recounted a story of taking her kids to a zoo or rescue of some sort where one particular Chimp would laugh when the children would laugh, and also mimicing almost exactly the high pitched sound her youngest son was making as he squealed with delight in seeing a chimp mimicing them.

Edited by Irish73

Yeah, chimps can squeal, laugh and carry on. I can see that they might mimic what is within their vocal range, but are very limited in articulation. Some recordings cross the line into what does sound like speech. The recording from endurance sounds like the words "back away" to me, though the voice seems hampered.

Guest FootDude
one particular Chimp would laugh when the children would laugh, and also mimicing almost exactly the high pitched sound her youngest son was making as he squealed with delight in seeing a chimp mimicing them.

When was the last time you heard a story of a wild chimpanzee or ape arbitrarily mimicking human speech and sentences like we hear in the 'samurai sounds'???

Edited by FootDude

Well, if *I've* never heard it, I'm sure it's never happened.

Here's the two sounds I played on BFS 40:

http://media.texasbigfoot.com/Zulu_rock_throw.mp3

That's the nicely recorded yet totally typical rock throw recorded over Labor Day weekend. You can hear it all the way down, though the trees, onto the roof, then onto the ground. Classic X activity.

http://media.texasbigfoot.com/Zulu_debris_rain.mp3

That's the "debris rain" behavior that's completely new. We've never heard it before. The members present did go outside to ascertain the origin but each time only heard something(s) big moving up the mountain behind the cabin. This is from the last day and is the longest recording. The activity ended when one of our guys snuck around the side of the cabin.

bip, correct me if I'm wrong but I think from several of your statements here you think the following 2 things:

1. These creatures are capable of human-like sounds or vocal patterns. Capable of sounding just like humans when they mimic speech or human voices.

2. These creatures don't possess an actual language or tool society: they are not humans (from genus homo).

In your opinion, are they somewhere in between other great apes and humans - coming closer to us genetically but not all the way to what could be classified as human, or further away genetically and independently evolved a human (or suprahuman) vocal range? Or even bipedalism at that rate. I guess my question lies in what impression do they leave on you? Long lost half-brothers or distantly related step-cousins?

I have no idea. As I've said before, they act like apes. They don't act like people. They're smart, but then so are chimps and gorillas. To me (and others in the TBRC) they are apes.

Bipto,

Thanks for posting these. Was this during the day, because I hear a crow, a blue jay and maybe cardinals making those chipping noises? Also, have any of you noticed about a third of way in on the second recording a very deep bass sound? It's not very loud but my earphones are very sensitive and picked it up. It happens again a couple more times and it reminds me of the sound that a grouse makes if that helps.

You must have had a couple hundred rocks laying around LOL and maybe they were trying to tell you guys to leave.

Sheesh! How did you guys ever get any sleep?

Or was this 'Rise and shine- all beady eyed and bushy tailed, ready to hit the monkey trail!'?

Edited by salubrious

Guest FootDude

Well, if *I've* never heard it, I'm sure it's never happened.

Dianne Fossey studied apes for 18 years and Jane Goodall chimpanzees for 45 years.

As far as I know, neither one has documented the type of attempted mimicry or communication that we attribute to the Bigfoot 'samurai sounds'.