Operation Persistence

At least one of the devices is capable of recording, but it's mounted to a 30-06 and is obviously being used for another purpose. 

Guest thermalman

Do the thermal-imagers have the ability to record video?

Yes they can. The newest ones I'm familiar with have touch screen, Bluetooth, wifi to ipads and much more. Edited by thermalman

At least one of the devices is capable of recording, but it's mounted to a 30-06 and is obviously being used for another purpose.

Does this imply your teams in Area X are willing to take a kill shot based on a thermal image of a human looking target?

Here we go again......

If you are so interested in potentially saving a life, are you sending the same messages to the US government drone operators.. They are willing to take a kill shot based on a thermal image of a human target, including US citizens (and now on US soil), and targets that cannot possibly be positively identified before taking the shot. Or you could go around the ghetto neighborhoods wherever you live late at night tonight and probably have a better chance of intervening before a person is shot. At the ranges being considered, a 100-300 lb target is going to look remarkably different than something weighing the approximately 500-800 lbs being claimed. If someone is tresspassing on private land in the middle of the night hurling large projectiles at human beings and their vehicles, in most states it would be legal to defend yourself. Come tresspass on someone elses land in Texas and do that late at night, I would be suprised if you survive the encounter.

Until a crime is committed, how about coming down from the moral high horse with the "what ifs". If a human is actually shot out there you can come back here and post "I told you so's" until the cows come home. But if you are such a staunch defender of human life, I can think of about a hundred more practical ways to intervene than circling back around to these same accusations time and time again.

Edited by Irish73

BFF Patron

Do you think the Wood Apes are able to count to  5?

Heck a horse can count to five, certainly a BF can. 

Does this imply your teams in Area X are willing to take a kill shot based on a thermal image of a human looking target?

Well if they have an IR thermal device  mounted assumed with laser site with recording capacity I'd hope they'd have practiced (unloaded) on clothed and partially clothed humans prior to engaging any target, but that is just me.  

I think otherwise your moral high horse is cantering pretty fine jerrywayne.  

Edited by bipedalist

Do you think the Wood Apes are able to count to  5?

Heck a horse can count to five, certainly a BF can. 

Well if they have an IR thermal device  mounted assumed with laser site with recording capacity I'd hope they'd have practiced (unloaded) on clothed and partially clothed humans prior to engaging any target, but that is just me.  

I think otherwise your moral high horse is cantering pretty fine jerrywayne.

Thanks for the snarky response to an honest question. Hopefully, you are correct about the practice sessions and the proficiency of such sessions.

Here we go again......

If you are so interested in potentially saving a life, are you sending the same messages to the US government drone operators.. They are willing to take a kill shot based on a thermal image of a human target, including US citizens (and now on US soil), and targets that cannot possibly be positively identified before taking the shot. Or you could go around the ghetto neighborhoods wherever you live late at night tonight and probably have a better chance of intervening before a person is shot. At the ranges being considered, a 100-300 lb target is going to look remarkably different than something weighing the approximately 500-800 lbs being claimed. If someone is tresspassing on private land in the middle of the night hurling large projectiles at human beings and their vehicles, in most states it would be legal to defend yourself. Come tresspass on someone elses land in Texas and do that late at night, I would be suprised if you survive the encounter.

Until a crime is committed, how about coming down from the moral high horse with the "what ifs". If a human is actually shot out there you can come back here and post "I told you so's" until the cows come home. But if you are such a staunch defender of human life, I can think of about a hundred more practical ways to intervene than circling back around to these same accusations time and time again.

Quite the overkill of a reply. I'm I hearing here that "better safe than sorry" is passé in Bigfootland?

Edited by jerrywayne

bipto.....I do not recall this being asked within this thread anywhere and if it has, I apologize as its tough going over the same crap again and again. Has your group considered bringing in a skeptical outsider for the purpose of gaining a different perspective on what is happening in area X? I really cannot think of a benenfit that would outweigh the risk of taking someone with a different agenda than that of your group, but wanted to know if this has been discussed. Also, has your group discussed bringing in a professional shooter/sniper with extensive military training? Although I do not have any military training, I have always been fascinated with what LRRP,s were able to do during the Vietnam war and these skills may be what is needed in area X. I do not know the background of all of your members, but someone with the skills that these specialized units employed may be ideal for obtaining a specimen in area X or even gathering intel.

BFF Patron

JW I think you got my response confused with bipto's......  my response was not meant to be snarky, it was meant to elicit a response from bipto re: Practice?  Target recognition would be fairly essential as was implied in your initial question.......  so I was cantering along (catterwalling to some).   

Carry on.  LOL!

Come tresspass on someone elses land in Texas and do that late at night, I would be suprised if you survive the encounter.

This is being done as we speak all the time, we are having a hard time gaurding against this on our own border. So what is the differance! None That I know of except that people are dying taking the chance for a better life.

I have said multiple times that our preponderance of caution has kept us from taking several shots that could have resulted in the collection of a specimen. I would consider your question asked and answered. 

...I'd hope they'd have practiced (unloaded) on clothed and partially clothed humans prior to engaging any target...  

Yep.

Has your group considered bringing in a skeptical outsider for the purpose of gaining a different perspective on what is happening in area X?

Yes. We have invited several non-members to evaluate the area including John Mionczynski. The problem is in definition. What's a "skeptical outsider"? Those of us in the group are skeptical. And, to your point, there isn't an obvious advantage to us in doing so.

...has your group discussed bringing in a professional shooter/sniper with extensive military training? 

We have members with that kind of training and skillset, but as is often the case, we're all-volunteer and we can't keep any one person on-site for more than a week or so. 

I should have used pseudo-skeptic instead of skeptic in my question above and the only real reason I could see in bringing the right one out there is it appears to me that some of these not only think the idea of bf actually existing is absurd, but go as far as trying to convince others that science should not waste the time or resources by taking bf seriously. That in itself is probably not a good enough reason to risk area X,s future possibilities, especially with the mindset of some of them.

I know that at least one of your members has some military background, but I was thinking more about recruiting an individual ex-mil with specific training in special ops. It may be an ideal opportunity for the right retired person that lives for that type of work. Of course there could be hair all over it if the wrong person got involved.

I don't know about the weather near area X, but the summer heat and humidity here in N TX is awful and its only going to get worse as summer comes into full swing. I do not envy you guys hanging out and hiking there in summertime.

...the only real reason I could see in bringing the right one out there is it appears to me that some of these not only think the idea of bf actually existing is absurd, but go as far as trying to convince others that science should not waste the time or resources by taking bf seriously. 

Yes, there's a strong desire among some of us who have been in this field for a long time (both within and without the NAWAC) to show those who have ridiculed or had fun at our expense how wrong they are, but there's nothing we can do that can accomplish that as well as collecting a specimen. Unless the specific skeptic in question can help meet some objective of the NAWAC, there's no organizational reason to bring them in. 

I know that at least one of your members has some military background, but I was thinking more about recruiting an individual ex-mil with specific training in special ops.

We have some of those, too, but none with enough free time to be on-site all summer long.

I don't know about the weather near area X, but the summer heat and humidity here in N TX is awful and its only going to get worse as summer comes into full swing. I do not envy you guys hanging out and hiking there in summertime.

It's a challenge, to be sure. But, as some of us like to say, "embrace the suck!"

JW I think you got my response confused with bipto's......  my response was not meant to be snarky, it was meant to elicit a response from bipto re: Practice?  Target recognition would be fairly essential as was implied in your initial question.......  so I was cantering along (catterwalling to some).   

Carry on.  LOL!

Sorry Bi. I was reading the posts last to first (need to stop doing that) and read and responded to your post before I read Irish's odd rejoinder. I didn't see bipto's response to my question, though.

Thanks for the clarification.

I have said multiple times that our preponderance of caution has kept us from taking several shots that could have resulted in the collection of a specimen. I would consider your question asked and answered. 

...I'd hope they'd have practiced (unloaded) on clothed and partially clothed humans prior to engaging any target...

Yep.

Has your group considered bringing in a skeptical outsider for the purpose of gaining a different perspective on what is happening in area X?

Yes. We have invited several non-members to evaluate the area including John Mionczynski. The problem is in definition. What's a "skeptical outsider"? Those of us in the group are skeptical. And, to your point, there isn't an obvious advantage to us in doing so.

...has your group discussed bringing in a professional shooter/sniper with extensive military training?

We have members with that kind of training and skillset, but as is often the case, we're all-volunteer and we can't keep any one person on-site for more than a week or so.

Thanks for the answer. I'm happy that your group is being super cautious. Have you posted signs around the area to the effect that snoopers and hoaxers may be shot by accident, so stay out?

Also, for the sake of argument, let's assume some hot, tired, and even a bit nervous team member shoots a lost backpacker, in your opinion would the law be kindly receptive to the "I thought he was a wood ape" explanation? I know you've considered this issue, right?

^^^^^^^

I think the shooter would be up on manslaughter charges. This is a risk that has to be taken if we are ever going to get to the bottom of this. But with that said........I don't really see how your going to mistake a human with a back pack on with a very large bipedal ape.

M1_IRON_Thermal_suspect_Detection.gif

IR_0008.jpg

M1_D-color-thermal-imaging-pan-tilt.jpg

thermal-image-rabbit.jpg