Operation Persistence

Lots.  One particularly interesting snip was potential evidence that these guys, like certain populations of chimps in Africa, use rocks to crack nuts.  They also apparently use cabin firewood for wood-knocking (although I think that has been discussed before). 

Way way lots of rock-tossing incidents - the most they've had.  Apparently the guys in the ghillie suits are itching to get shot.  Good description by K. Strain of her sighting.  Everybody says there's lots more going on now - just what you'd expect with the animals getting used to their being there.

Yes.  Habituation.  Only these guys are compiling evidence, and yes, looking for a clear shot.  (And no pancakes, begging for sugar, etc.)

Kathy Strain just described (no animal seen; orange eyeshine was) what sounds like a classic intimidation display like those frequently reported both for wood apes and the known great apes.  They've heard sounds similar to the 'Sierra Sounds'...and during one taping, they stop, more than once, when sudden noises happen in the woods (including some rock tossing).

Fun stuff.

Edited by DWA

^^Colyer describes some sightings by the group.  Apparently people that haven't had visuals before have the same kind of reaction many scoffers have when they see one.  This has to be a person...followed by omg this cannot be real.

He also talks about how that reaction complicates shooting one, a thing worth considering itself.

One describes his sighting, after he turned at a sudden sound to face the animal, as "the spitting image of Patty, but grey from top to bottom, every bit of eight feet tall" and only 20 yards away.  Its departure was just like Patty's:  not at all hurried or intimidated.

For anyone who is wondering why they haven't shot one yet, the conversation with Daryl Colyer is pretty durn exhaustive on that point.  I'm sure not wondering.

Edited by DWA

^^^ Cotter, figure out a way to listen to the Bigfoot Show Area X podcasts.  It is a must.  And the TBRC conference panel talk as well.

One thing of note to me is that there is a lot of discussion about telling rock hits from nuts on the roof, but from last year I got the impression that there were no hickory overhangs and that nuts on the roof were not an issue.  Maybe some trees produced this year that did not last year or something...

It's rich stuff.  "Cliff Notes" is right.  They're nothing like reading the original.  Anyone who has any interest in this topic should listen to these.

I think they try to avoid letting threads get much longer than this one already is. Since it is getting close to time for this one to roll over into a "Continued..." thread - better to start fresh with Operation R.  - Good idea.

Yeah, I agree, but alas, my current cyberweb situation does not allow me to listen.

Tho it is getting into expedition season, and the crew I work with listens to tons of pod casts while we wait for the sun to go down.

I shall put this one on the request list!

Thx again DWA, plussed one of yer posts for ya.

^^^^

Oh yeah.

I've gotten through much of it already, very engaging and full of ticklish information to ponder.

One thing Bipto, on that firewood question: Right. Who knows for sure? But, as a furniture builder, carpenter  and a 24/7 wood burner in winter, I am a dyed-in-the-wool wood geek. This week I've been making "little ones out of big ones", splitting my wood for this upcoming heating season, so I've had firewood on the brain lately as well. This got me to thinking about what a BF would find compelling about a stick of wood, and I really think it might not be all that complicated.

First off, we have to acknowledge a Wood Ape is surrounded by this material, from birth to death, but in an unworked form. A piece of split firewood has the qualities of both being familiar, but unique at the same time. As far as we know, I think, they do not have the ability to fashion anything like this on their own, and they recognize it as special for that reason. It may bestow status on a WA that has a piece of it, not only for the intrinsic value, but also possibly as a trophy of a kind. As you noted, seasoned firewood resonates quite nicely when struck against a tree, or another piece of wood. (One theory I have is that many of the reported "wood knock" episodes reported in BFRO reports might only be campers doing this...it is a satisfying feeling/sound, as anyone knows who has connected with a fastball with a H&B ash wood bat ) 

When I split a large round of oak down to splits for my stove, I often wind up with either a triangular or roughly squared piece of wood from the center, without bark. I refer to these as the "fillets" of the tree.  I often will just pick them up and note how they are, well, just plain cool to look at and hold. There is something in the hominid brain (well, in mine at least) that gets a burst of endorphins when you hold a fashioned piece of wood. Imagine this feeling if you had no ability to make something similar on your own. You'd covet it, for sure. 

You might want to pay more attention to the types of firewood splits that get pilfered. Size and dimensions, as well as symmetry may matter.  

• Upvote 2

One particularly interesting snip was potential evidence that these guys, like certain populations of chimps in Africa, use rocks to crack nuts.  

Posted a few images I took of that on the BFS blog here: http://thebigfootshow.com/2013/06/25/aw-nuts/

One thing of note to me is that there is a lot of discussion about telling rock hits from nuts on the roof, but from last year I got the impression that there were no hickory overhangs and that nuts on the roof were not an issue.  Maybe some trees produced this year that did not last year or something...

Some of the structures there have nut-bearing trees overhanging them and some don't. There are a number of accounts and not all of them happened at the same location. Also, the nuts typically don't start falling until later in the summer (June-ish), so in some cases, the nuts are a factor and in others they aren't. 

This got me to thinking about what a BF would find compelling about a stick of wood, and I really think it might not be all that complicated.

Good stuff!

I think they try to avoid letting threads get much longer than this one already is. Since it is getting close to time for this one to roll over into a "Continued..." thread - better to start fresh with Operation R.  - Good idea.

I don't know what the logic is for splitting threads, but I think at a minimum this one should be renamed something like "NAWAC Field Study Discussion" or something similar. It's not really about Persistence anymore since that operation was from last year. 

I was told at one time Bip, but I can't remember what the reason was... I can find out.

Anyway, this is your thread. If you prefer for it to continue along here, but be renamed, that can be done as well ( up to the point the admins decide to start a continue thread). And I can do that for you. Just let me know.

Well, arizonabigfoot started it so many moons ago, but I get what you're saying. If the powers decide to split it off, I hope they drag these few Relentless posts along for the ride.

Yeah, I agree, but alas, my current cyberweb situation does not allow me to listen.

Tho it is getting into expedition season, and the crew I work with listens to tons of pod casts while we wait for the sun to go down.

I shall put this one on the request list!

Thx again DWA, plussed one of yer posts for ya.

You can also download them and listen to the MP3s through Windows Media Player which is what I do.