Operation Persistence

Guest COGrizzly

Aw, man - don't sell yourself short Cervelo!

I laughed out loud literally on that one Cer.

I must once again thank bipto for his steady patience in this thread.

cience itself is best when it's wrong. The purpose of it isn't to have all the answers, but to find them. Hypotheses deserve to be proven right or wrong and it's not until you prove them right or wrong that you actually learn.

Science typically either rejects a null hypothesis or, failing the ability to reject it, retains it. Null hypotheses are rarely accepted — i.e., proven right (it takes an extraordinarily large sample size to do so with any degree of acceptible credibility). When a null hypothesis is rejected, the simplest alternative hypothesis is promoted to the new null and is retained until it is rejected.

In science, there is a whole lot of rejection and retention going on, but typically little acceptance (i.e. proving hypotheses right).

When they do bring in a specimen, dead or alive, I feel

certain we will know that BF is not a sub-human animal.

certain we will know that if BF is not a sub-human animal.

There, I fixed it.

I must agree that Bipto deserves a hearty well done. It would take a great deal of fortitude to take the kind of punishment he has and still keep on offering insight to that goings on at Area X. Pretty sure I couldn't do it.

certain we will know that if BF is not a sub-human animal.

There, I fixed it.

I personally think that all this knocking of animals for being better than us has got to stop.

As someone once put it: apes didn't fail to become human. They succeeded at becoming apes.

I was wondering how long have your apes been interacting with people. I mean pryer to these operations. Is there a history of fighting with the cabin owner? If so, who/what started it?

If not, I was thinking that they probably dont know what to do and are just doing the best they can with what they got. They would know how to handle their own kind regarding acts of aggression but when it comes the skin monkeys, thats a whole different ballgame. One im guessing they are learning as they go. They might act like animals on the battle field and be a totally different people at home.

I was wondering how long have your apes been interacting with people. I mean pryer to these operations. Is there a history of fighting with the cabin owner? If so, who/what started it?

They don't fight with us. They're interactions have increased from the beginning of Endurance and all through Persistence, but at no point would I characterize their behavior as "fighting." As I said above, IMO most of the time it comes across as curiosity and even precociousness. It's rarely threatening. The property owners have had their own experiences over the years, including sightings. They've never indicated any sense that the apes were being aggressive, as far as I'm aware.

Hey Bipto,

Are you tracking the experiences of the team in a database of any kind?

Some of the statistical analyses that might arise could be quite interesting. (simple examples = activity depending on time of day, weather conditions, etc.)

I know it's not the number one target of your project, however it could be a means to an end, ie. a tool to predict likelihood of activity.

CH

Arizona- hunting animals ?I never said I had a problem hunting animals, IDO have a problem of shooting a closely related Hominin to us.

something so close to us!!!? Sorry but I dont buy into BF's being anywhere near related to us. Its it own seperate species always has been. JMO

Edited by adam2323

Bipto, I guess they dont know what your intentions are. How would you break down your operation? What percentage of your time is spent actually hunting for them (not looking for them...hunting them)?

You would think being hunters themselves they would be able to tell they are being hunted.

Edited by Nakani

something so close to us!!!? Sorry but I dont buy into BF's being anywhere near related to us. Its it own seperate species always has been. JMO

Being a separate species AND being close to us are not implausible ideas. Species are often removed from each other by only a very small fraction of their DNA.

Bipto, I guess they dont know what your intentions are. How would you break down your operation? What percentage of your time is spent actually hunting for them (not looking for them...hunting them)?

You would think being hunters themselves they would be able to tell they are being hunted.

Clever girl...