If You Could Search Anywhere, Where Would You Search?

Guest SergeantTorpor

Guest SergeantTorpor

I think it is likely that the areas with the highest number of apes are not the areas with the highest number of recorded sightings.

Sighting reports are heavily concentrated in or very near populated areas, simply because that's where there are people to have the sightings.

But these apes don't like being near humans. All things being equal, they would prefer to be as far as possible from human developments, and even from trails that are frequently used by humans.

So there are likely more apes in very remote, hard-to-access (for humans) areas than in areas that are only a single day-hike away from a trailhead.

But where exactly?

If you desired to encounter one or more of these apes, and you could be magically transported to any general area at all, without regard for any road access or trail access, where would you choose to go?

Deep in the Olympic Penninsula in Washington state and deep in the Giant Sequoia area in central California - both are wild, beautiful and remote.

Into the remotest parts of the Adirondacks, or the White mountains.. that I am not fit, nor equipped enough to get myself into. I'm confident, there are such areas no humans have been into , for decades or longer. There is somewhere these things retreat into, and it is probably the most difficult for people to access (just a shared theory.. that makes good sense).

Not confident enough , myself.. to call them "apes" (or categorize them as anything, yet.. but a primate).. although other folks seem to be.

Guest VioletX

Deep in the Olympic Penninsula in Washington state and deep in the Giant Sequoia area in central California - both are wild, beautiful and remote.

Even if I did not find a Sasquatch I will pick your post, because I really want to see an old growth forest.

I agree with you Sergeattorpor, but only for the classic 'Sasquatch' of the PNW, as seen in the Patterson-Gimlin film. Only my opinion of course, but there seems to be 'Races' of these creatures, just like humans, and with vastly different physical characteristics within the species. Having said that, the smaller ones seem to like hanging around wooded areas near small towns, and coming into town at night. And why not, lotta opportunity in these towns, and something fun to do. I believe they all have a curious side, and enjoy observing humans, even playing tricks on us.

Guest JenJen of Oldstones

I'd search in the Edwards Plateau / Texas Hill Country. For instance, the area around Ft. Lancaster is incredibly isolated, with lots of steep hills and canyons, cedar thickets, streams, creeks, and other water sources. And deer. Lots and lots of deer.

I would like to investigate the Great Smokey Mountain National Park 522,419 acres. If you include flora and fauna it is one of the most bio-diverse places on Earth.

I would search indefinitely in La Paz, Baja Mexico...

I doubt I'd find any Bigfoot, but the weather is warm a beautiful, the beer and cigarettes are cheap, and beautiful women stroll on the beach.

If you have all that, who needs Bigfoot ?

Guest mdhunter

Somewhere that I knew 100% couldn't be effected by other people.

As to terrain- An area with abundant cover and escape routes, easy access to water without exposure, and abundant food sources. Edge habitat as crabshack described. Or edge habitat within remote areas. Edge habitat with a constant water source tends to be more fertile. Therefore a predator or opportunistic feeder would have to expend less energy to survive.

I routinely "search" the high Sierras and the Siskyou Mountains but I'm not looking for any apes. At least not as it seems referenced by the OP. I swear, with all that I read here, they must be more human-like in the PNW and more ape-like elsewhere!!

Guest poignant

Vaults of the big museums: smithsonian, AMNH, BMNH, etc...

Also, Vancouver Island.

Also also, I'd do it in one of these. Nothing weird. There is a patent for it (see Williams Personal Flying Platform).

SSR Team

I'm with Madison, the QIR up to Colonel Bob and then back down to the River valley.