How To Have An Encounter...

• 3 weeks later...

Being in the right place at the right time is not just blind luck. A few simple steps will greatly improve your chances. You don't need a lot of fancy equipment. It's understanding the BF creatures that is important. With this understanding and a lot of patience you will be ready to have your own BF encounter. Start with research to plan, What you want to see, When, Where, and How. Then get out there and do it. This is how I do it and it works for me.

Remember when you are out in the woods, you are a guest in their home. Keep it clean, be courteous, do not disturb them too much. They might let you come back.

Know the laws in your state about carrying weapons, spotlighting, bait piles, etc. The BF creatures don't need our food and are probably better without. IMO

I never expect to have an encounter, but I do try to have an encounter. If I don't try, how will I have an encounter. I don't have BF's coming to my property so I have to go out and try. If I don't have a BF encounter I don't get butt hurt about it. There's always tomorrow. I just enjoy being outdoors and keep my eyes and ears open for whatever animal comes my way, BF or not.

Guest VioletX

If you go into the woods expecting or trying to have an encounter, then you will have an encounter. Even if you may not be having a encounter.

Are you saying people may convince themselves they are when they are really not?

Robert Morgan produced a book called "The BF Observer's Field Manual" and it is the method to a large degree I employed and found effective. I also believe they have sentinels, at least in my area, as the cliffs provide them a view for tens of miles, and no one could come into that forest without being noted easily. Would you count on luck to avoid humans in your home territory? BFs seem to think in ways not unlike us with complex reasoning and communication. They aren't a beast of the wild, but a wild type man...IMO

Big thanks Madison it has been 20 plus years since I had my encounter. I have been all over the web in the last year looking for the best way to increase my chances. Since my encounter there have been 9 more in the same area. I go back there about once a month just looking for signs. Your post will help me focus my chances.

If I don't have a BF encounter I don't get butt hurt about it. There's always tomorrow. I just enjoy being outdoors and keep my eyes and ears open for whatever animal comes my way, BF or not.

I am with you there my friend. I just enjoy being out in the woods with my wife and we try to get out there every chance we get.

Are you saying people may convince themselves they are when they are really not?

Sure, mistakes happen all the time. Not to be confused with hoaxing.

Fer example, small critters, chipmunks, squirrels, skunks etc do a fair impression of "bipedal footsteps" on crunchy leaves, due to their habit of jumping, pausing briefly to eyeball for tidbits or danger, then jumping again... I think they are aware they are constantly making noise on the dry stuff if they just walk normally on it, and can't listen over it for danger also.... then also sometimes chipmunks and squirrels will take exception to your presence and lightly bombard you with light tree debris, small twigs, empty seedcases, nut shells, pine cones.... another freakish thing I've had happen with squirrels is one was chasing another up a tree and the one being chased decided I was a handy springboard to make it to a trunk on the other side of the trail and bounced off my shoulder.. so put all that together in the dark, *crunch* *crunch* *crunch*, *pelted with pinecones* *sudden tap on the shoulder* and a lot of people would be freaking. Then you get a skunk or a drying up pond that has a lot of half rotten stuff in the bottom upwind of you making a stench, a slight wind knocking the tops of some tall thin trees together, and then a barred owl lets off a distance away, and by now you're highly adrenalised and things seem to move in the corner of your eye, you think you make out figures in the shadows, catch eyeshine off a raccoon or deer, deer huffs at you, you sprint outa there, breaking numerous olympic records, go home calm down, write it up and get a BFRO class A out of it....

Now I would regard this as a highly unusual coincidence to have all of this happen in the same half hour or so, but mother nature has a cruel sense of humor like that.

Not saying that all class As or Bs are this either, but there could be a few in there, "nature mediated freak outs" if you like. So don't make your n00b visits to the woods a nocturnal BF hunt, get familiar with them in daylight...

OOH, I got a gold "popular" star??? SWEET.

I got a whistle back while out hiking today. Unfortunately it was from two tweekers coming out of the woods. Scared the crud outta me. I love living in Oregon, but the state has more than it's share of stoners and druggies. I pretended to be searching for a lost dog.

OOH, I got a gold "popular" star??? SWEET.

I got a whistle back while out hiking today. Unfortunately it was from two tweekers coming out of the woods. Scared the crud outta me. I love living in Oregon, but the state has more than it's share of stoners and druggies. I pretended to be searching for a lost dog.

Yeah cause you are giving out the secret sauces!

Insight is rare in BF research because it is all about emulating the biggest and most well known. Most people do not understand how to be worthy of attention. My activities in the woods when I am trying to be "interesting" include stacking rocks, climbing trees, outdoor parkour, hackey sack, rock jumping, wood sculpture, grass weaving, singing, noodling etc,

Weapons are like intent. I always bring my blades with me because they are tools and defense. I wear normal clothing and do not try to be stealthy when squatching cause I know better. Odds are 100 to 1 they get the drop on you first. If they observe your stealthy movements, they will assume you are hunting! Rightly so I may add.

Gifts I leave are not food based, Mine are coins, cool rocks or a piece of art usually in some creative natural juxtaposition. I still refer to them as animals because I have observed no culture. They seem to live just like an animal.

Really different from us in as many ways as they are similar.

A lot of sighting are from motorists driving down back, wooded roads at night. Maybe cruise the back roads more often, but if you get one in your headlights, hit the accelerator not the brakes.

I pulled reports from every database I could find online and broke them out by area (mostly by highways and/or river systems). I then went and logged the last few years on a map according to what kind of encounters they were and figured those were some of the most active areas within 50 miles. Ended up with nearly a hundred reports in my own county over the last 40 years and a good dozen in the past year or two. In looking at those areas, I can picture in my mind the food sources there and determine if the area could possibly support and hide a troop of BF's. That would seem to weed out the reasonable areas to look into if I chose to. It was an interesting project. It gives me direction to go should I want to go out and look in another area for a different troop than the one I've stumbled across.

Or where I don't want to hike alone, hey hey!