What Did Rene Dahinden Do Wrong And Right?

Explorer

I have read and have seen past video interviews of Rene Dahinden where he mentions the many years he spent looking for BF in the PNW but still never saw one.

Do any of you know have many man-days he spent in his life time looking for BF in the field?

Sounds like a very un-fruitful effort for a BF expert.

What did he do wrong in his pursuit?

Was this technique and method totally wrong?

Did he do anything right?

Is there a book or website that states the best practices of field research that have actually proven fruitful?

I know many in this Forum have posted their opinions of what the best approach is to finding BF. But, searching and dicing through hundreds of postings from a diverse group of people does not provide a standard of best practice.

I think people new to BF research would benefit from knowing from both the failures and the successes of field research.

I am not sure if all the long time field investigators (LTFI) agree on what is a successful approach to field research, but I hope they would agree on what is a un-successful and fruitless approach.

Is there agreement that Dahinden’s approach was flawed?

Or, was his approach perfectly fine, but there was simply no BF to find?

Maybe a veteran BF researcher that has not seen a BF could answer the question. They must be following in Rene's footsteps.

I know a guy that has been elk hunting for over 35 years and he has never gotten one. My dad and friends have gotten elk because they ask questions and learn from the hunters that have gotten an elk. This guy doesn't listen to anyone on how to get an elk, especially from someone younger than him.

I have read and have seen past video interviews of Rene Dahinden where he mentions the many years he spent looking for BF in the PNW but still never saw one.

Do any of you know have many man-days he spent in his life time looking for BF in the field?

Sounds like a very un-fruitful effort for a BF expert.

What did he do wrong in his pursuit?

Was this technique and method totally wrong?

Did he do anything right?

Is there a book or website that states the best practices of field research that have actually proven fruitful?

I know many in this Forum have posted their opinions of what the best approach is to finding BF. But, searching and dicing through hundreds of postings from a diverse group of people does not provide a standard of best practice.

I think people new to BF research would benefit from knowing from both the failures and the successes of field research.

I am not sure if all the long time field investigators (LTFI) agree on what is a successful approach to field research, but I hope they would agree on what is a un-successful and fruitless approach.

Is there agreement that Dahinden’s approach was flawed?

Or, was his approach perfectly fine, but there was simply no BF to find?

Or was he just one of the more HONEST researchers out there?

If by definition you say that in order to be successful at researching a particular thing one must physically see it? Then I suppose he wasn't successful in your eyes. But then I suppose you do not have a large respect for the field of Quantum Physics either?

I would lean on the side of Rene Dahinden as being a honest researcher who never saw one as oppose to someone that claims they can show you one at any time...........just pay X amount of dollars to sign on to the expedition.

BFF Patron

He sounded prepared. He did his homework. Maybe his heart wasn't in the right place. Maybe intent to do harm, harmed his efforts?

Who knows. Reading patterns of sighting reports is the best way to get up to speed in a hurry. Learn that the chase is not as good as good an approach as the sit and wait.

A couple or three years back, I had my head "loaded up" with material that made me critical of Dahinden's methods, but I don't remember details now... I may have made a 1.0 post about it under Flashman

Anyway, impression I'm having right this second is complete lack of bushcraft and patience, i.e. turn up at a sighting location, crash around with a rifle for a day or two, then take off across the country to the next one.

"Bigfoot Observers Field Guide" or something close to that. Great stuff.

If you were a BF, what would you need? Food sources, water, cover/shelter, few people and decent weather. Find out if other people have seen them where those requirements are met and go there.

Do something interesting, cross your fingers, hope for the best and listen & look.

Edited by madison5716

I think the answers simple enough, these things are incredibly shy and adept at observing and avoiding people, especially those are who looking for them. A good comparison, in my mind is the Amur leopard. I read an article about a Russian biologist who had studied them for 10 years and never seen one. She'd followed there tracks, collected there scats, seen there kills, knew there individual territories and even found a den where a mother had been raising cubs, but she'd never glimpsed one outside of captivity. The point is, a naturally elusive creature at a low population density is going to be hard to find at the best of times, the most sensible thing to do is search for the creatures activity rather than the creature itself, it gives much better insight into it's lifestyle and actually produces evidence of it's existence, whether it be leopard or woodape.

Sometimes it's just down to luck.

I'll give you an example from my own life:

When I was growing up, I liked to go fishing. I had all the right tools, bought the same kinds of lures, etc as anyone else could buy. Read books on the subject over and over.

But I could NOT catch a fish to save my proverbial life. I would be standing shoulder to shoulder in a stocked trout stream with fishermen on either side of me pulling out fish after fish and not even get a nibble. After a decade of recreational fishing, I caught a grand total of about 6 small perch-type fish, and all of those were caught on one trip after being given a specific lure (which, I should add, never worked for me after that trip).

Guest JenJen of Oldstones

Mulder, I see from your profile that you've had an encounter. Is it written up and posted anywhere? I would love to read it.

Guest jimmy_simpson

Maybe its because Dahinden was Honest.... And I hope this doesnt cause anyone to get angry, especially those that claim sightings... But I cant help but wonder why with all the alleged class A sightings and people who claim to know how to track them, habituate them.... why , why , why do we not have one in a box yet... just one....

Maybe its because Dahinden was Honest.... And I hope this doesnt cause anyone to get angry, especially those that claim sightings... But I cant help but wonder why with all the alleged class A sightings and people who claim to know how to track them, habituate them.... why , why , why do we not have one in a box yet... just one....

Watch "Finding Bigfoot" and you'll have your answer.

But I cant help but wonder why with all the alleged class A sightings and people who claim to know how to track them, habituate them.... why , why , why do we not have one in a box yet... just one....

Well, for me, if I had a clear and certain opportunity to shoot one or capture it... I'd warn it instead to run like the dickens and I'd help it in anyway I could to escape and I'd hinder anyone wanting to shoot it. And I bet I'm not alone. Pictures will be all I take, if that.

Well, for me, if I had a clear and certain opportunity to shoot one or capture it... I'd warn it instead to run like the dickens and I'd help it in anyway I could to escape and I'd hinder anyone wanting to shoot it. And I bet I'm not alone. Pictures will be all I take, if that.

Then you curse the species to a existence right between pixies and gnomes at Barnes and Noble. Meanwhile their homes are mowed over with suburbs and golf courses.