What Did Rene Dahinden Do Wrong And Right?

Explorer

And of course there's the assertion that his methods were just as successful as anyone elses.

Now a problem with the old days of BFery is that they had to do things like place classifieds ads to try and get sightings to come forward, and when you do that, it tends to go near the want ads and jobs, and people scanning it are wanting money... so you'd get a lot of "hopefuls" thinking they were handing out cash for a good story... then also it would get noticed by groups of guys in the break room at work, who'd then think it was an amazingly original and humorous idea to cook something up to lead along "this here idiot".

I think the modern "system" such as it is, where the request for reports isn't pushed in the face of would be hoaxers, but where the curious and those with "something on their chest" can seek it out through google, is a bit better. Not a huge amount, but signal to noise ratio is improved IMO.

Guest jimmy_simpson

The answer is simple. He was trying to find bigfoot, but as we all know you don't find bigfoot, bigfoot finds you.

Well, I hope he finds me soon, im getting impatient..... :growl:

Maybe a veteran BF researcher that has not seen a BF could answer the question. They must be following in Rene's footsteps.

I know a guy that has been elk hunting for over 35 years and he has never gotten one. My dad and friends have gotten elk because they ask questions and learn from the hunters that have gotten an elk. This guy doesn't listen to anyone on how to get an elk, especially from someone younger than him.

Wow, that is quite the stat! Does he hunt in decent elk habitat? My cousin lives in the East Kootenay - last year was the first year in 20 that he did not get an elk! Now he is a bit of a hunting fanatic who spends every spare moment he can in the bush...but 35 years? Seems like he doesn't really want one! And as an aside, he claims to have seen a Sasquatch once, not in the East Kootenaty though, hunting west of Okanagan Lake near Hedley.

Edited by summitwalker

Or we could go along the lines of..

Eccentric personality... check

Thought himself the only one who knew anything... check

Mostly self funded... check

Jealous of those with funding... check

Constantly at odds with other factions... check

Yup, seemed to be on the right track for being an archetypical bigfoot researcher :D

SSR Team

He hunts in good elk habitat here in Western Oregon.

Personally I think he just goes hunting to get away from the wife.

Not too dissimilar to why i go fishing, and i generally don't catch a great deal nor care that i don't.. :D

Then you curse the species to a existence right between pixies and gnomes at Barnes and Noble. Meanwhile their homes are mowed over with suburbs and golf courses.

Won't matter, we'll do it anyway. Can't stop money and those who have it.

Actually, I don't think golf courses are allllll that bad for them, providing as they do, a lot of grazing for deer, rabbits etc... we've kinda got that sort of thing going on here, scattered woodlots which are like deer dormitories interspersed with horse and hobby farms and golf courses. So you get these woodlots being super high protein per unit area because of all the grazing that goes on around them. However, think they'd want a main base of operations in something bigger and denser.

"Bigfoot Observers Field Guide" or something close to that. Great stuff.

Madison,

Thanks for the book suggestion.

I ordered the book today plus 2 others.

I wish there was a book or paper summarizing all the different strategies that different people have used over the years, their pluses/minuses, strengths/weaknesses, skills sets needed, and the success rate.

By reading the many posts here in the BF Forum, it appears that some folks simply have random sightings, others have strategies that appear to work (but are different), and others spend years searching with no find (either because of bad luck or poor strategy).

Thank you all who replied to this post.

All answers were helpful and as I try to understand this field.