What Did Rene Dahinden Do Wrong And Right?

Explorer

complete lack of bushcraft and patience, i.e. turn up at a sighting location, crash around with a rifle for a day or two, then take off across the country to the next one.

I agree with this, I think investigations of sightings are often too short ,impatient and lacks a thorough survey for other activity beyond obvious tracks.

Madison,

Thanks for the book suggestion.

I ordered the book today plus 2 others.

I wish there was a book or paper summarizing all the different strategies that different people have used over the years, their pluses/minuses, strengths/weaknesses, skills sets needed, and the success rate.

By reading the many posts here in the BF Forum, it appears that some folks simply have random sightings, others have strategies that appear to work (but are different), and others spend years searching with no find (either because of bad luck or poor strategy).

Thank you all who replied to this post.

All answers were helpful and as I try to understand this field.

**** good idea! I'd buy the book

I wish there was a book or paper summarizing all the different strategies that different people have used over the years, their pluses/minuses, strengths/weaknesses, skills sets needed, and the success rate.

Kind of like a Bigfoot Bible or something like that?

He wasted his life looking for it.

It is not a waste when you have passion for something you love.

I have heard it said that when he got old he became bitter, and if true then that is sad

• 1 year later...

I didn't even finish reading the post but I already have a answer...Carrying a high powered rifle in your hands with the attitude of a terminator sent to kill is a sure buzz kill in the field. He basically did everything you SHOULDN'T do out in the field all day every day and had probably the worst/most negative attitude of any famous researcher ever(And that is saying some serious crud man).

Guest Crowlogic

He did it the way he wanted to do it.  He lived the life he chose to live.  He achieved a kind of success most men never achieve.

"Or was he just one of the more HONEST researchers out there?"

I'd say you nailed it Norseman.  The neat thing too is that Rene believed there was in fact a bf creature.  So does John Green, Thomas Steenberg, etc. and none of them have seen a bf.

That fact tells me there could very well be sasquatch, particularly in the PNW.

t.

Guest keninsc

Well, I can't speak for him but I have hiked all over US and I've never seen one either. But, I really wasn't looking for one. I was very skeptical then and thought people who claimed to see such things were deluded, liars or charlatans vying for their fifteen minutes. I'm not so cynical now, but I do stay alert for fakes and such.

And I find I get upset with the people who seem to trip over Bigfoots everywhere they turn. It has to be some kind of gift or just dumb luck. Whatever it is I don't seem possess it either.