Dismal Swamp 11/24/2012

Guest Cervelo

Guest Cervelo

Lorihjf,

There seem to be more reports on the NC side of the swamp. But there are reports from all sides.

This place got its hooks in me for a whole host of reasons rumors NA camps, slave towns, crashed WWII aircraft, black panthers, gators and of courses you know who...

It's not an easy place to snoop around with the limited access and requirement to be out by dark, unless your at the camp site, even then night paddling is forbidden.

My feeling is anything could be in there and there's got to be a reason for the limited access.

Most likey since it was privately held for so long and it's resources exploited, my feeling is there are some environmental issues that nobody wants to deal with.

While I'm pretty skeptical, there is some merit to your migration theroy that has been discussed here in regards to movement along the Va/Nc border to and from the mountains.

I'm sure I'll be going again before it gets buggy and your more than welcome to join me, it's a blast!

If your into birding at all you've got to go and who knows we might see the extinct ivorybilled woodpecker!!

Guest Lorihjf

Cervelo,

I look forward to it! Another great place for kayaking in the area is near my home. Any time we go there I get the feeling of being watched. It's a very strange feeling when your out in the middle of an area which is uninhabited by humans. It's the area surrounding and leading to Thoroughfare Island in Currituck County. It is swamp which leads to the Currituck Sound. I believe that BFs would be very happy in this dense woodland swamp. This swamp actually leads to an area near my home, and eventually could lead (through a few fields) to the Great Dismal Swamp. The area where I've had my experiences is near 36 deg. 21' 28" N 76 deg 07' 26" W.

If you'd ever like to check out another area...let me know. It's a wonderful area to kayak and the best part is you never know what will be on the water's edge up around the next turn!

Guest wudewasa

It's not an easy place to snoop around with the limited access and requirement to be out by dark, unless your at the camp site, even then night paddling is forbidden.

My feeling is anything could be in there and there's got to be a reason for the limited access.

Agreed, there are a number of good reasons that officials want to keep folks out, especially at night.

Poaching, meth making, dumping of bodies are a few. Also, a person getting lost in a place like that requires a sizeable retinue of manpower and resources to locate said victim in an area that has natural dangers to contend with.

I just don't believe that law enforcement is resticting access because some secret government organization has labeled it as a "Squatch Preserve!" lol

Guest Lorihjf

I agree with you both. I went exploring on foot in the swamp behind my house (about 7 acres) and got turned around very easily. Even though I could hear cars on the nearby road, the sound seemed to come from the wrong direction. I wouldn't want to be lost in the Dismal Swamp at night for sure. Thank goodness for GPS!

My partner is a private pilot and we fly around the area in single engine planes alot. I'm always on the lookout for wildlife and can easily see where bear (or other animals..BFs?) make beds on the edge of fields. I would love to go up sometime looking with either night vision or heat sensing equipment. I'm not sure if you could see anything distinctive at say 500 ft, but it sure would be fun! I don't know if there are flight restrictions over the Dismal Swamp but that would be easy enough to find out! Now, to talk my dis-believing pilot into it! LOL

Guest Cervelo

The thing that I find odd for example the Badlands NP which in essence has no natural water source other than rain fall in the majority of the park, requires no backcountry pass or campsite assignments.

I was told by a ranger at the headquarters you can camp almost anywhere you want, but you better bring water and tell someone when your coming out.

Because we'er not going to come look for you.

Which I found odd.

The Dismal swamp has a vast network of maintained roads in the interior, take a look at it on google earth sometime.

Certainly some of these roads are for recreation, fire suppression and ditch maintenance but it just seems odd that no interior camping is allowed with so much easy access.

If one got lost and kept their head about them in DS you could walk to a road in a matter of hours, a day at worst.

I'm not suggesting Bigfoot sanctuary maybe UFO base, time portal stuff like that sure... but not Bigfoot LOL.

It's an intriguing place for sure regardless of what is or isn't in there.

Wude even though I know your kidding that was actually suggested to me by a local that had spent several nights in the swamp on the NC side.

Lori,

Have you posted (or would you) your encounter please?

Edited by Cervelo

Guest wudewasa

Cervelo,

The reason(s) that the swamp has restricted access is something that we don't know, and can be open to so many far flung conclusions that pages of threads can be devoted to conjecture that leads to nowhere.

The fact that the area is the northern range of so many species interests me, and the place is on my bucket list of locations to visit. The ability to access it via bicycle/kayak is even more compelling. You have me hooked!

Guest Cervelo

Let me know when you want to go...I got two yaks!

The otters really come out this time of year, I've had them follow me around for hours at a time, we would have a blast!!

I've only paddled there (Dismal Swamp Canal to Lake Drummond). I have yet to take the bike and foot options (not to mention the other paddling), but it's on my list.

Just remembering what my father in law said years ago, "Many a good man has been lost in the Dismal Swamp" so take care.

Guest wudewasa

Let me know when you want to go...I got two yaks!

The otters really come out this time of year, I've had them follow me around for hours at a time, we would have a blast!!

Many thanks for the offer. I'd love to bike the levees in the morning and see what reptiles are basking and get some pics. Then in the afternoon, paddle the area and check out the otters. The bird life sounds like it's tremendous!. Is fishing allowed in the areas that you go to? Also, what's the law on concealed carry permits in the swamp?

Guest wudewasa

The wood is my hood SNY. I'm more worried about drunk drivers and yuppies texting while operating a vehicle than any day in the outdoors.

Guest Cervelo

W,

Sounds like a plan to me but that's the rub about the swamp, it's hard to get in a full day when we have to be out by dark.

I'm up for camping at the lock if you are, haven't done it because of the having to leave a vehicle at the put in and it's almost guaranteed it will be broken into...will have to figure that out.

No weapons in DS but hey it's not illegal till ya get caught IMO, I've gone in naked the last two times.

My only real issue would be people or very aggressive yotes on the bike trails.

I don't see an issue (unarmed) camping at the lock unless other people are there.

But hey let's keep it on the front burner if you have an interest.

I think Kitesquatch (might have that name wrong) had an interest at one time as well.

Heck we could have a pretty good group if enough people have an interest and could all camp at the lock and have our own little Dismal Swamp Bigfoot Bash!!!