Dismal Swamp 11/24/2012

Guest Cervelo

Guest Lorihjf

Great link Wudewasa. I wasn't aware of the gators at Merchant's Millpond until two years ago. Unfortunately, we were already on the water and were chatting with another kayaker. He had one "try to roll his yak" the weekend before. He estmated it at 8'. Needless to say, I was very nervous the rest of the day. Every underwater log looked like one to me..lol. The next spring I saw one on the banks.

Last year there were at least two publicized sightings in the area of ELizabeth City and the canal heading to the Dismal Swamp

Bf isn't the only thing to watch for in the area!

Rode a couple of trails in the NE part of the swamp.

Cerv, you were in the GDS in VA, & not the NC state park, is that correct?

{I presume that's what you meant, but I wanted to be sure.}

10-4 have ridden eveything in Va except some stuff on the southeast corner in Va.

Haven't done anything in NC.

Roger that....

My partner is a private pilot and we fly around the area in single engine planes alot.

Two questions - and you DON'T have to answer either question if you don't want to:

(1) Does your partner own or rent the aircraft?

(2) Which airport do you fly from?

{I work at the USCG base at the E-City airport.}

Now, to talk my dis-believing pilot into it! LOL

You're on your own on that one....

;)

Edited by Kite-Squatch

Not sure. A few weeks ago I got ahold of an aeronautical chart, BUT I don't recall if it was marked or not. I don't remember where I put the chart - welcome to my hell <g> - so I can't check it right now. If I find it, I'll let you know.

Guest Lorihjf

My BF looked at it last night. It's 2000' because it's a wildlife preservation area. The entire swamp and Lake Drummond are included.

KS...do you fly?

Edited by Lorihjf

Guest Lorihjf

C...definately!

KS...sorry I missed your questions earlier. He's about to buy into a new partnership, probably in the next week or two. We'll be 1/10 owners in a Cessna 172. We fly out of ONX...Currituck Airport. Great bunch of folks out there. Are you a pilot?

Thanks for the info, Lori.

No, I'm not a pilot. I was a student pilot a looooooooong time ago, but I didn't pursue it much after I soloed in November of 1979 @ the tender age of 18 <G>.

FWLIW, I have worked in aviation most of my life. My first job was as a Lineman @ an FBO @ an airport in Florida. I was later in the US Navy for 3 years

{I was an “Aviation Machinists Mate†or “ADâ€}, & then 17 years in the USCG {also an “AD†there}. I also flew as an aircrewman in the USCG, on the HU-25 Falcon, & then the HC-130 Hercules. That's how I ended up in E-City.

I retired from 'The Guard' in 2003, & I've worked as a contractor @ the base since {other than those two pesky layoffs <g>}.

BTW Lori, do you know of a pilot named Larry who owns an {experimental category<?>} two-place biplane? A few years ago there was a {civilian} guy named Larry - don't remember his last name - who worked in the same hangar as I was working in at the Coast Guard base. He had a bipe, and he talked about maybe giving me a ride in it. We never did it, and I lost contact with him afterward....

Edited by Kite-Squatch

Guest Lorihjf

Wow...great career! You're not involved with the CG Auxiliary are you. My BF is in the process of joining...just got his flightsuit today. I have a son in PA who is Army National Guard Reserves. Trained for ATC, but it's hard to get the hours he needs for his FAA Cert. I also have a son in the USMC, currently on 2nd deployment. This time is Okinawa...sure beats the last one in Afghanistan.

BTW...Thank you for your service!

Maybe we can fly around looking for BF sometime!

Edited by Lorihjf