The Kill Club

norseman

BFF Patron

Good food for thought for aspiring BF killers.     So many reports of armed people with a close sighting claim that their first thought is that they wished they had a bigger gun.    I heard a first person report recently where a man in his tent heard a BF moving around the tent.   He was armed with a 357 and after the BF paced back and forth for a while, it reached down and pushed down in the tent.    It felt for and found his head.     He said he felt the palm of it hand on the back of his head and the fingers were on his face.    In other words his head was being palmed by the BF like a basketball.   He pulled up his 357 and pointed it back behind him towards where he thought the BF was standing,  and then realized that if he shot and missed or did not hit anything vital, the BF could just rip his head off.    He lowered the gun and the BF let go of him.  

I think there is something that might need to be reconsidered in this report...the idea this BF took that many 00 pellets to its body and lived long enough to howl into the night. A more reasonable theory is it did not survive the encounter and the howling was actually that of his/her mate expressing grief because of it.

Or not that many pellets hit it at all, which a soft lead ball is not a good choice for dangerous game.

Nope, it isn't.

In any emergency, or unanticipated meeting engagement - you gotta work with what you got - but while a .12-guage with 00 buckshot sounds like big medicine - these are robust, thick chested criters - and that buckshot doesn't penetrate for diddly squat.

There are a couple specialized slugs that MAY work - but I wouldn't bet my life on them.  Maybe a Brenneke Black Magic, wasp-waist hardened sabot slugs, a steel sabot engine-block penetrator, or any hardened penetrating sabot, where the diameter is reduced to enable deeper penetration.

But.  You sometimes got to go with what you got.

On a slightly different note

Norse I thought of you when my brother told me this story

A little background first

Almost without exception my brother carries a camera with him while hunting, he has been doing this for years.

Today was the first day I got to speak with him since he got back from Pink Mountain

He was over looking a small lake that we have hunted over with some success over the years

Through his binoculars he sees a grizzly eating on a fresh kill

While watching it he detects a movement at one side of the clearing by the lake

He sees a black bear standing there watching the grizzly and obviously waiting for it to leave

He goes to grab his camera a realizes it is back on his quad

So mad at himself for forgetting the camera he goes back to watching the bears

Now he sees a wolf slunk down in the bushes watching the bears as well

We have been hunting up there since the mid 1980's and we never saw all 3 at once like that

He stayed watching them until dark then he hiked back to the quad

Nothing really happened as the Blackie and wolf just stayed where they were watching the grizzly

I have to say I was a little jealous that I couldn't be up there this year

BFF Patron

My gun was in my pack since the day use area where the trail originated is posted no weapons. When I heard the closest BF footfalls coming right towards me I realized I did not have time to get to it and a 357 would not be big enough anyway based on the heavy footfalls. Sounded just like the TRex in Jurassic Park. Anyway I just stepped off the trail and hoped the BF would walk right past me instead of run over me. Fortunately for me the wind was blowing from me towards the BF and it smelled me before running over me. If you encounter one and intend to shoot you want something adequate for the job if for no reason other than to think you have a chance to kill it before it gets to you. If the weapon does not seem adequate it my be safer to lower the weapon and try again when you are better armed. In my case I knew at the time a 357 was not enough gun to do anything but make it angry.

When I was a licensed prospector here in BC about 3 decades ago, I applied for, and was issued, a permit to carry a handgun in the woods, a very rarely given item in this country. The only stipulation on the permit was that the gun MUST be at least 44 magnum calibre, or larger, as anything smaller was deemed inadequate to stop a black bear attack, never mind a grizzly. I hadn't even considered using anything smaller, anyway, after my grizzly charge experience a few years before that. A rifle is of course far mpre erffective, but when your hands are full, using a pan, or shovelling into a sluice box, your rifle is probably leaning on a rock or stump, not handy to stop a bear attack, so a 44 mag in a shoulder rig is the way to go.

Nice rig, norse. Mine was positioned just below my left breast, in a "breakaway" holster, so I could grab the butt and pull sideways against the spring, a very fast and easy draw. I found that position unobtrusive and clear of the motions involved in the work I was doing.  I was happy to never have to use it during a bear encounter, but it was comforting to have it handy. :-)

• gigantor unlocked this topic
  • gigantor unpinned this topic