The Kill Club

norseman

BFF Patron

I need to get some custom work like that so I can have a pack mounted holster. Why have extra straps when I always wear a pack in the field? I made my own pack on time from a kit and it was the best pack I have ever owned. Lots better than commercial ones. I stopped back packing so gave it away.

• 2 weeks later...

What is the least amount of gun you would carry in the field for the big guy or Patty from the PGF?

I think a 308 is the smallest round I would want to take down a 600-1000 pound animal. And that had better be a perfect head, throat/spine or heart shot from less than a few hundred yards. I dont think a 308 would have enough hydrostatic shock to drop "patty" DRT unless it was a head or spine shot. Hopefully the shot would be from a concealed position if using a bolt action.  At the time I heard a "whoop" in the National Forest I was carrying an M1A so maybe that is why I felt no fear whatsoever. 20 rounds of semi 308 is enough firepower to bring down a few squatches if needed. 

I think a 308 would be enough with excellent shot placement of course but a 375 H& H would probably be ideal. 

I think Im done giving my opinion on guns for awhile :)

I will say that I pack a Marlin guide gun 45 70 with scout scope and tac light as my primary.

post-735-0-94365700-1445383343_thumb.jpg

Edited by norseman

If it will take down a grizzly handily then it should should be able to handle the big guy also. Especially with hot loads. 

Lots of guys with bows and arrows running around pissing them off right now in my neck of the woods. By the time I get there they will be very grouchy from all of the intrusion of hunters. 

Could you imagine coming face to face with a compound bow in your hand.  It will probably get the job done no doubt but the fear factor would make an easy shot in to a tough one.

Just trying to lighten the conversation up a little. And get us back on topic

Size 16: Love your .308 proclamation.

I miss owning (have owned FN/FAL type rifle. )

Drop down and get me. Take me away.......

I think I would feel safer with an M1A FAL or AR10 than I would with something such as a 375 H H or 300 Win Mag in bolt action.  The single shot may just not do it quick enough. 

Like your shoulder rig and the Marlin, Norse. My rig is something like that but I don't have the belt. Which can be a pain at times cause it will swing forward sometimes when I lean over. But it is much better than carrying it on my belt.

BFF Patron

There has to be a way to rig a holster to a pack.    Why have separate straps when a pack strap is built for comfort and holding weight?    I guess I will have to get creative.     I should probably start looking for leather shops going out of business and pick up a heavy duty sewing machine.     BF pack special holster anyone?  

BFF Patron

What the hell is a molle pattern?  .  I thought that was Mexican food with chocolate in it.    

• gigantor unlocked this topic
  • gigantor unpinned this topic