Searching For Bigfoot In Oregon

I checked out my Area #5 and the BLM shut it down as well.

So now I'll be checking for new areas in the Mt. Hood National Forest that aren't shut down.

BFF Patron

CM you think the closures you mention are due to BF activity in those areas?     Even though government agencies may not officially recognize BF,   I sometimes wonder if there are individuals that know what areas are active and close them on their own.     Who would challenge such closures?     Of course I have been known to ignore suspicious closures and slip in and out.   Would not camp in a closed area though.    That would be too obvious.    Just hiking through I can always claim that I entered the area where there were not any signs so was unaware the area was closed.  

• 2 months later...

I hope the spot I've been going to in the Mt. Hood N.F doesn't get a new shiny gate or a trench across it anytime soon. The older I get the more I appreciate a little thing called convenience. I like to be able to drive in and set up all in one spot. Rather than park my truck and pack all my gear in a half mile or more.

I made these casts while on expedition this past June in SW Oregon and I'll be going back up to the same area to camp beginning Wednesday of this week.  Instead of the normal in line stepping it appears this sasquatch stepped somewhat sideways to avoid a small tree growing up.  From heel to heel was 46 inches and the prints were 17 inches long, 5 inches wide at the heel and 6 inches wide near the toes.

20140606_OR_JOSEPHINE_PHOTO_Track2.jpg

A 6 foot 240 pound man stretches to place his feet next to the foot prints.

20140606_OR_JOSEPHINE_PHOTO_Track3_Edite

I recorded all that transpired, such as wood knocks, in a report at Sasquatch Research Association.

http://sasquatchresearchers.org/sasquatch-expedition-report-or-2/

• 4 weeks later...

If anyone is interested and in the area. About four miles from Silver Falls State Park there is a little country store with a sign that says Home of the Sasquatch Burger. And inside at the counter is a book with old and new bigfoot sightings that people have wrote down in it. And if you have had a bigfoot sighting you can add it to the book.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

gotafeeling,

Did you ever make it to the Country Store and check out the Bigfoot Sightings Book?

I went there today to see if there were any new sightings reported and to try their Sasquatch Burger. What I thought would maybe take 20 minutes tops, turned into almost two hours of talking about bigfoot with the owner and other customers that stopped in. The owner said the people with new sightings aren't writing their stories down. But a sighting that happened last year was at the exact same area my friend had his first trackway find while elk hunting over 30 years ago. That was the day he became a bigfoot believer. So I may start checking this area out soon.

Oh geez! I need to get up there. Did the owner say why people aren't writing down their sightings? Have you done any "checking out" in that area previously? I wouldn't know where to start. I suppose the Bigfoot binder would be a help. :) I'm an easily creeped out wimp in the woods. So I'm most likely to find a good place to park, and sit for a very long time. 

Edited by gotafeeling

He said there is a bigfoot research group that has been setting trail cameras up in the area and left their card. So maybe the people with recent sightings don't want these researchers to know the exact locations. I don't know for sure.

I haven't been in that particular area since 1998, just before the area was gated. I think the last time I was there, was when I had a friend drop me off there for almost a week by myself. No bigfoot activity, but some places where I had walked earlier had cougar tracks in my tracks following me.

So I'm thinking if I go back to this area that's what I'll do again. But maybe I'll wait for the weather to warm up first. I'll see.

• 4 weeks later...

CMB -

I finally got up to the store, a few weeks ago. The book was a bit thinner than I'd hoped. But I added a brief explanation of my bf experience. 

They've got (or had) a cougar creeping around the store. When my husband and I walked out the door there was the owner and an older man, with a ginormous rifle. They explained that with the kids, and the other kids (baby goats out back) they were ready to shoot. So when they walk from the house they are armed.

I'd be interested in talking with other Oregon bf "fans" (for lack of a better word). I've got questions about both my S valley location and the west Cascades here (McKenzie River valley too), and Central Oregon.

Got any tips?

• 7 months later...

On Wednesday 9-23-15 I went to Round Lake up above Breitenbush and checked it out. I walked around the whole lake looking and listening. I saw a bald eagle, ducks, douglas squirrels, timber tigers, a beaver lodge and dam, fish, and a couple mudbugs wrassling.

At dusk I set my parabolic up about 10 yards behind my truck facing up towards the lake. Two hours after I got into the back of my truck to go to sleep I heard heavy footfalls/thumping/stomping type sounds coming from where my parabolic was straight towards the back of my truck then it turned 90 degrees and stopped in the brush. I thought maybe it was a deer, but I never heard any deer snorts.

When I got home I listened to my recording and around the two hour mark when I heard the stomping sounds there is about 10 minutes of what sounds like licking and sniffing before it stomps off towards my truck. What it was, what it was sniffing, and what it was licking, I have no idea. I didn't put any bait out and there was no food or trash or anything I can think of for whatever it was to be sniffing and licking for 10 minutes.

After 5 1/2 hours of recording the parabolic quits recording then starts again at 8 1/2 hours, just 30 minutes before I woke up. It's never done that before.

So next week I think I might go back up there with my FLIR to see what exactly it is.

• 2 weeks later...

Today I went and checked out the Glen Thomas Site.

For those who don't know who Glen Thomas is can read about his sighting here: http://bfjournal.tripod.com/pages/thomas.html

I had never been there before because I really didn't believe his story. But after visiting the area today I'm open to the possibility.

Another thing that I had read about was these rodents that the BF's ate. Some say it was marmots and some say it was golden mantled ground squirrels. After working in rock quarries for over 6 years I thought it was most likely pikas that the BF were eating. When I was up at the site I could hear the pikas vocalize. So I stood still and waited quietly and looked for any movement on the boulders until I spotted one. After maybe 5 minutes I saw several pikas running around and I got a photo of one. 

So if the story is true I think the BF's were most likely eating pikas.

BFF Patron

There are similar pits on Silverstar Mountain in Washington. The forest service attributes them to Native American activity but cannot explain what they were used for. I don't believe local Native Americans even claim they ever used them but the forest service needs to explain them somehow. I think they are a pika farm of sorts for the local BF.

Joe Beelart discusses the Oregon pits in his book, "Oregon Bigfoot Highway" He mentions finding a huge rock that had rolled down into one of the pits. They could not even move it because it was so large. The next time they visited the pit, something had taken the rock out of the pit without any sign of drag marks and placed it well outside the pit.

Edited by SWWASASQUATCHPROJECT

• 2 weeks later...

Madison, this is an informative, well-constructed, long term thread.  Thank you.

Wish I had known you when I was drafting The Oregon Bigfoot Highway { this is not a plug folks, that's why it's not in bold, blue, and italics}.  Using my maps, I'm beginning to get a strong feel of where you are mainly at / around.  If I'm right, it has to be good because of the salmon & steelhead runs / spawning grounds nearby.  {For years, I worked the Alsea Basin, but have mainly gone to the Cascades since about 2010.}  

Also, you might be interested in the American Primate Conservancy which is based here in Portland.  Toddzilla Neiss is the head kick of this very quiet, emerging outfit.  Should you be interested, let's trade some emails or PMs after the rains start and I'll arrange an introduction.  Later, Joe