Tree Break

norseman

I found a tree break up in the Selkirks this past fall while hunting.

It was about eight feet in the air, and I didn't see any obvious broken snag tops or anything that could have hit it. It also didn't show typical elk or moose damage of being raked during the rut.

Any thoughts on what it could be?

photo7_zps2e6fb17e.jpgphoto8_zpsc39505fa.jpgphoto6_zps007a2c0e.jpg

Edited by norseman

BFF Patron

How high? Healthy or diseased tree? Does snow/ice load lead to similar breaks around that area?

How high? Healthy or diseased tree? Does snow/ice load lead to similar breaks around that area?

1) Eight feet.

2) Healthy......the bottom of it is green and intact, doesn't have dwarf mistletoe.

3) Only break I found and no tree directly over the top of it.

BFF Patron

In that case very interesting, I couldn't scale height so it is a prospect I suppose. Any other environmental variables or habitat there that would fit a BF break?

I am also thinking cold and ice.

I don't think so, the reason being is that during winter this tree should have been completely encapsulated by snow.

It also appeared to me to be a much fresher break than something that had happened months earlier. The branches below the break were still green and moist. It takes about one month for my Douglas fir X mas tree to dry out and lose needles.

It could be a bear I suppose, why he did what he did I don't know.

In that case very interesting, I couldn't scale height so it is a prospect I suppose. Any other environmental variables or habitat there that would fit a BF break?

It's a very remote place, the Selkirk mountains are apart of the Columbia mountains that extend far into British Columbia. In fact the Columbia mountains are the only interior mountain range left where Grizzly bear can still fish for native salmon stock outside of Alaska. It's also apart of the inland temperate rainforest.

BFF Patron

OK, I'd say unless a wildlife biologist can refer to similar bear break pictures, you got something to go on. Ever attempt to check out the top of the tree on the ground and look for embedded hairs?

OK, I'd say unless a wildlife biologist can refer to similar bear break pictures, you got something to go on. Ever attempt to check out the top of the tree on the ground and look for embedded hairs?

I didn't find anything.

It looks exploded, it is a relatively common, a lighting strike could also be the culprit.

My experience as a fire fighter is that lightning will chose the tallest tree in the area.......this tree I would guess was 12 feet tall before the break.

Guest RedRatSnake

The more experience we acquire, the more it should teach us anything is possible, well it is safe to say what ever did it, Nature was involved.

Tim :)

The more experience we acquire, the more it should teach us anything is possible, well it is safe to say what ever did it, Nature was involved.

Tim :)

True, nature or a known animal is a likely culprit.

But I always remember this story I read as a teenager:

http://bigfootforums.com/index.php?/topic/2727-russell-annabel/

Which makes a person a little tingly on the back of their neck.

BFF Patron

I saw a broken Aspen in Utah that was similarly a green break about 8 to 10 feet high. It was a singular Aspen away from anything that could have brought it down besides an animal. Could it have been a moose, maybe if moose also remove 35 pound embedded rocks from the forest floor. Could it have been a bear..... possibly..... was it likely either, probably not.

Edited by bipedalist

Guest Thepattywagon

A UFO landed on it maybe?

Interesting tree break. I think some of these are great evidence of the big guy.

I don't know exactly what snow and ice is capable of doing to a tree like that, but when I see pics of tree breaks here in Florida like these, I know it can't be attributed to snow and ice.

Thanks Norseman!

http://www.bfro.net/GDB/show_report.asp?id=34426