Tree Break

norseman

BFF Patron

Why didn't this tree break? Just askin'?

http://youtu.be/-YgzkJsMJOA

i really cannot tell that much with that video. but if its a dude in a suit it sure could explain why it didnt break!

• 4 weeks later...

While traveling back to the oilfield a couple of weeks ago I was surprised how much beetle kill is in the eastern side of the Rockies. Very noticeable around Butte Montana.

Just a FYI I guess.

Beetle kill is widespread in this part of Montana and has contributed significantly to fire danger over the last few years. We had most of ours treated but lost one that was too difficult to access. We haven't had a long enough stretch of sub-zero temperatures in recent winters to kill off the insects.

• 1 month later...

I went into the mountains in SW Washington today to get a few tree break photos. I was at around 3800 ft elevation between the east fork of the Lewis river and Canyon Creek, just NE of Silver Star Mt and SW of Trapper Creek wilderness. I was not able to get to a spot I wanted due to a snow drift I was close though. I did det a few interesting photos of a few breaks and some that had been broken but were now healed up and continued to grow. Maybe snow caused, not sure. Here are a few photos, I will post some scenic ones in the photo section.

post-3060-0-98349600-1371935562_thumb.jp

post-3060-0-95580300-1371935697_thumb.jp

post-3060-0-83841800-1371935755_thumb.jp

post-3060-0-52675500-1371935826_thumb.jp

I came across this on the side of the road, interesting maybe someone did this as a marker but I wonder? had to take a picture

post-3060-0-65471300-1371935987_thumb.jp

one more, this is how the lower elevatin forest looks in the drainages, very thick

post-3060-0-01755800-1371936065_thumb.jp

here a a couple more

post-3060-0-58620100-1371936355_thumb.jp

post-3060-0-74080400-1371936469_thumb.jp

Edited by daveedoe

Guest David37

I can't say for sure about your tree breaks but in the Calif Sierra here about three winters ago we had an unusually heavy snow and cold conditions. A lot of the smaller trees, especially pine, loaded up with snow at the top would break over about a third of the way up.

I went into the mountains in SW Washington today to get a few tree break photos. I was at around 3800 ft elevation between the east fork of the Lewis river and Canyon Creek, just NE of Silver Star Mt and SW of Trapper Creek wilderness. I was not able to get to a spot I wanted due to a snow drift I was close though. I did det a few interesting photos of a few breaks and some that had been broken but were now healed up and continued to grow. Maybe snow caused, not sure. Here are a few photos, I will post some scenic ones in the photo section.

attachicon.gifIMG_4570.jpg

attachicon.gifIMG_4572.jpg

attachicon.gifIMG_4567.jpg

attachicon.gifIMG_4568.jpg

I came across this on the side of the road, interesting maybe someone did this as a marker but I wonder? had to take a picture

attachicon.gifIMG_4582.jpg

one more, this is how the lower elevatin forest looks in the drainages, very thick

attachicon.gifIMG_4584.jpg

here a a couple more

attachicon.gifIMG_4575.jpg

It's hard to tell with tree breaks, with the fresh ones did you find any obvious sign of a Moose or Elk browsing? I've found one that was a head scratcher..........the others were Moose.

But I think the rock cairn being close to the road like that is most likely human activity.

Nice pics! Thanks for sharing!

I did see some elk, deer and bear scat, no moose in this area. Not much human activity lately but I agree on the cairn just had to take a pic good balanced rocks.

Could be caused by heavy snow in a few spots but some look supicious. The first one that looks dead was across the road and the fourth one was about ten feet up both of those looked snaped and twisted. I will try to get back up there soon and get to the place I was unable to get to due to the snow drift, those breaks are very supicious.

• 2 weeks later...

I don't know if BF has the same behavior in all areas, but in my area, I have found that a tree break likely caused by BF always has other supporting evidence nearby. I also had the experience of knowing when a tree break occured (walking on a path one day, and its broken the next).

In any event, I do suggest that if there is one break, look for more evidence. Maybe you will find something else. I know I can follow evidence trails here if I am in a place they have been. Older evidence tends to degrade and become unrecognizable, so you cant be sure if it is actual evidence. It is also possible that the BF signs I am finding are due to a large human presence, and they (BF) are marking areas where we go. Just a theory but evidence I have found suggests it is possible, or at least partially.

Example.

This break

X008.jpg

Is near this arch

Back035.jpg

Near the Giant X (X vid is in my intro thread)

14.jpg

Near this Giant Tree stuffage (X in background)

15.jpg

Here is a vid of the the above pic. Note the tree deadfall was placed through and twisted in place

th_X010.jpg

There are plenty of other signs in the above. area, some fresh. 

I contend that if they have been in an area, there will be tree breaks, but there may also be something really cool to try and figure out that will leave you scratching your head.

Edited by maibockaddict

BFF Patron

I was amazed to learn today in rereading the Bears and Man book by Herrero that some crazed black bears can strip by biting through tree of limbs some as large as 5-11 inches in diameter.

Just some food for thought, LOL. 

Cervello, I would not necessarily attribute your arch to BF. Here is a vid of mine, and its one of many I have found that is way over my head, and not gnawed on like yours, just bent over. BTW I have found a couple that are WOVEN together, not just bent. I need to make better vids, but will post them when done. Note that this arch could NOT have been caught by anything, and had to have been somehow pushed over.

th_X001.jpg

And can you explain the X and the whole deadfall tree that was placed through the other tree and twisted to make it stay in place?

Edited by maibockaddict