Tree Break

norseman

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Admin

Definitely Looks Squatchy. Very possible Tree Break was made by a Squatch. But, if so, there should be other signs of theie presence, like foot prints, more tree breaks, stick structures. Looks like a great place to do some research.

That looks like a type of tree break that is common when it sleets, then snows, and then you get some more sleet or freezing rain. Just had a storm that caused tree breaks that look similar. That area may be covered in snow in the the winter time, but I'm sure that area has an in between season where most of the snow pack has melted but gets hit by storms where the temp stays around 32 degrees. Conifer tops tend to droop in such storms, most don't break but a few snap and you get what looks exactly like you have pictured.

looking at the break.. the splintered fragments appear to point in multiple directions.

If it were a snow load, the break should only appear one primary direction.

For fragments to point in a multitude of directions gives the appearance it was worked from one side to the other.

Hmm, interesting find Norseman! It does give the impression of being worked back and forth/ twisted, or possibly exploded by a lightning strike. True, lightning often strikes the tallest trees or structures in an area but not always. If there is an open meadow flanked by a stand of trees where a lightning strike is coming down, lightning is more likely to strike the trees than the open ground, but any of the trees may be struck. A couple websites that explain the phenomenon: http://stormhighway.com/lightning_always_strikes_tallest_object_myth.shtml http://screem.engr.scu.edu/emerald/VLF/ligh.html

Another pic of a lightning struck tree: http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/d/da/Lightning_struck_tree_1.jpg

Sometimes there are scorch marks and often there seems to be vertical cracks in the bark leading from the strike to the ground. I can't see evidence of that in your pics. Hard to know for sure what caused it but it is a very interesting find and I'm glad you shared!

You're in Rice? Turns out we're practically neighbors, Norseman. :)

looking at the break.. the splintered fragments appear to point in multiple directions.

If it were a snow load, the break should only appear one primary direction.

For fragments to point in a multitude of directions gives the appearance it was worked from one side to the other.

Actually it looks more like a lightning strike. Its only splintered on one side. The pine trees I saw snapped after the storm had no splinters. The tree on our property that got hit by lightning was all splintered like that.

I found a tree break up in the Selkirks this past fall while hunting.

It was about eight feet in the air, and I didn't see any obvious broken snag tops or anything that could have hit it. It also didn't show typical elk or moose damage of being raked during the rut.

Any thoughts on what it could be?

photo7_zps2e6fb17e.jpgphoto8_zpsc39505fa.jpgphoto6_zps007a2c0e.jpg

I was riding in my motorcycle in the foothills of the Cascades west Gifford Pinchot NF with friends. We stoped at around the 3800 ft elevation on a ridge to take in the views. I noticed the same type of breaks on a couple trees where we were standing. I ask if any one had an idea as to why the trees were broken? No way anyone could break them these trees, they where stunted being on a ridge and very strong. The only thing we could think of was the big guy. I know of several other places where there is more these broken trees. When the snow melts and we get some nice days this summer I will go get some pictures and look for hair.

well i guess that might rule out selkirk caribou because the cascades doesnt have any. and elk leave the high country in winter.

we thought maybe snow drifts could break them. Surely not wind the trees are to strong. Most are broken off and look twisted off at least 4 to six feet of the ground. I did capture one in a picture, you can see the break. The break is seen in the very bottom left in the picture. The picture is posted on google earth panoramio at 45 50 41.37 N 122 6 7.69W

post-3060-0-12034600-1363891435_thumb.jp

I just took this photo a couple hours ago. The tree is a lot like what Norseman described.

To me it looks like a victim of some target shooters.

I've seen damage like that while living in Georgia. It looks like lightening strike to me.

And while it's true that lightening will typically strike the tallest tree, it will strike whatever it feels like.

A UFO landed on it maybe?

Interesting tree break. I think some of these are great evidence of the big guy.

I don't know exactly what snow and ice is capable of doing to a tree like that, but when I see pics of tree breaks here in Florida like these, I know it can't be attributed to snow and ice.

Thanks Norseman!

http://www.bfro.net/GDB/show_report.asp?id=34426

this is just north of my home town, Daytona Beach. As much as I hate to go there, the area is known for paranormal activity, which I have experienced myself. Even though I have read that there is a paranormal connection between the two, I'm not implying that. Just sayin'.