High End Research Gear And Equipment

NathanFooter

BFF Patron

Just found an expensive high end gadget that might be handy in the field for someone with big pockets.    I was looking at industrial devices wondering if the big boys have tools that I had not heard of.     Fluke Sonic Imager popped up on a  search.     The $20,000 camera takes a high res picture and overlays sound received on the picture.     BF walking,  wood knocking,  or using infrasound would not only be detected but the location of the sound would be superimposed on the optic picture.    The specs list the sound detection frequencies at 2 to 52Khtz.   The device looks like an IPad and it says a series of microphones in the device fix the location of the sound relative to the optical picture.    An air leak would be a red blob on a pipe.    Perhaps it could even pick up the breathing of a nearby BF.      It would be pretty handy knowing exactly where a noise is coming from.       Fluke also produces high resolution IR cameras but they start at $20,000 and go up from there.   Think of what could be thrown at BF research if the money was there.  

Edited by SWWASAS
  • Upvote 2

• 2 weeks later...

Deal alert.

If anyone is looking for a night vision camera or scope, Sionyx is having a fantastic deal on Black Friday.  $100 off each Aurora camera and free shipping.  That would bring there Sionyx Sport model down to $299.  This is a color night vision camera/scope, and it probably falls somewhere between Gen 2 and Gen 3.  This is a LOT cheaper than a PVS 14 and has the capability of recording video.  Below is a review of the Sport model.  

I am sure that subsequent generations will be better, but very capable night vision for 300 bucks ain't bad.

46 minutes ago, BlackRockBigfoot said:

Deal alert.

If anyone is looking for a night vision camera or scope, Sionyx is having a fantastic deal on Black Friday.  $100 off each Aurora camera and free shipping.  That would bring there Sionyx Sport model down to $299.  This is a color night vision camera/scope, and it probably falls somewhere between Gen 2 and Gen 3.  This is a LOT cheaper than a PVS 14 and has the capability of recording video.  Below is a review of the Sport model.  

I am sure that subsequent generations will be better, but very capable night vision for 300 bucks ain't bad.

That's pretty awesome. I may need to dig for coins in my furniture to see if I can scrape that much together.

Here is a link to the deal: https://www.sionyx.com/black-friday-cyber-monday/

3 minutes ago, Redbone said:

That's pretty awesome. I may need to dig for coins in my furniture to see if I can scrape that much together.

Here is a link to the deal: https://www.sionyx.com/black-friday-cyber-monday/

I will probably pick up the Sport model, although the case with the regular Aurora model and the accessories is tempting.  I have a feeling that their next generation is going to far surpass this one, so I figure that I will go for the base model this time.

BFF Patron

There is a more expensive version.   I wonder what the difference is?      Seems like with very little light source like a camp lantern you could illuminate a huge area like near daylight.    A campfire would really light things up.    I have a perimeter alarm in the front of my house.     I have stuff set it off and a floodlight on my shop and I rarely see what did it.    Sometimes I see deer,  rabbits or racoons but most of the time don't see a thing.   One night I did see a cougar slinking around in the back.   No BF in this immediate area.   

Edited by SWWASAS

12 minutes ago, SWWASAS said:

There is a more expensive version.   I wonder what the difference is?      Seems like with very little light source like a camp lantern you could illuminate a huge area like near daylight.    A campfire would really light things up.    I have a perimeter alarm in the front of my house.     I have stuff set it off and a floodlight on my shop and I rarely see what did it.    Sometimes I see deer,  rabbits or racoons but most of the time don't see a thing.   One night I did see a cougar slinking around in the back.   No BF in this immediate area.   

I believe that the basic functions are the same, but the more expensive version has a built in GPS and a HUD display overlayed on the screen.

BFF Patron

Ok While I don't do night field work I sure would like to know what is wandering around my property at night.  

^^^^ to that end, once I stopped irrigating last year I put out trail cameras in the yard.   The darn sprinklers trip the cameras in summer.   It is time to put them out again. 

50 minutes ago, SWWASAS said:

Ok While I don't do night field work I sure would like to know what is wandering around my property at night.  

If I end up picking one up I will post a review up here.  The Scout version is waterproof, so I think that I have pretty much convinced myself to buy one.

1 hour ago, JKH said:

Do you guys think something is on your properties?

I know several somethings are on our property at night, I was just curious how long the list might be.    I live along the river.   I was curious what all might be passing through.   We know we have deer, turkeys, squirrels, a skunk, and occasionally geese by the pond.   The trail cameras added raccoons and foxes.   What I expected to find, but have not seen yet, were cougar and bear.    If I find those, I'm going to be a little more careful walking around the yard in the dark.    

MIB

BFF Patron

I have herds of raccoons,  rabbits,  squirrels,  deer,  had a bobcat go through in broad daylight,  and saw a big cougar one night.     Oh and one visit by an emu that left prints in fresh snow.    Bears, wolverines, and bigfoot are the only thing I have yet to see out there.   My place butts up to a patch of forested land.  

Audio right here wouldn't be worth the effort.    Too much human noise.    Even if there were something interesting, there would be too much background clutter to sort through to find it.   Sort of a question of return on investment.   I don't think the location is that good.   

• Upvote 1

Any equipment that gets us out at night and able to see our surroundings is a huge plus. It creates new opportunities as it allows us into their world...the dark of night.  

If it were me, the choice would be easy. I'd get the FLIR Scout TK before I'd get this.  On a thick, cloudy moonless night, maybe even under the canopy of trees,  thermal will give a significantly better result.  As we all know with sasquatching,  if something can go wrong, it will go wrong.  Why take a chance with a cloudy, moonless night when for almost the same price you can have a thermal that works regardless of the conditions you're in?

Here are two other YT videos showing the Aurora Sport at night. To my eyes, it is difficult to make out detail in the forest. You'll see that with the first video below. If you add an IR illuuminator, then you'll get a much better result but it comes with a +/- $400 price tag and you're adding IR into the mix. Haven't we suspected that sasquatches can pick up IR?

Check out the difference between using an IR illuminator and not using it at around the 5:00 mark and the Aurora is on the right:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qa7RZJLOaAc

This is a very thorough review of the Aurora in different conditions:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e3SN-ZSG7ls

Edited by wiiawiwb

• gigantor featured this topic
  • gigantor unfeatured this topic