NathanFooter

High End Research Gear And Equipment

NorthWind

@Madison5716, Congratulations! Sweet pack! Will it fit the rocks I collect?

Madison5716

No. 

• Haha 2

hiflier

The one I use wouldn't either. Strange. I wonder why that is ;) 

BlackRockBigfoot
On 3/23/2020 at 7:51 PM, wiiawiwb said:

Sorry...you already answered my question about the 66i

Did you end up getting one?

wiiawiwb
Posted (edited)

Not yet...I'm still haven't decided between the 66i and the Mini. It will be one or the other. Part of me would like the latest and greatest while another part of my yearns for simplicity.

I currently have a Garmin eTrex 30 and am hoping that could lessen the learning curve, even if a small amount, with the 66i. I suspect it will take a lot of time to learn to use it. Contrast that with the Mini needing a cell phone to pair with the Mini to get the most from it.  

Decisions, decisions.

Edited by wiiawiwb
  • Upvote 1

wiiawiwb

A decision has been made although I think circumstance played a large part in it. As I have pontificated before, I'm a believer in rugged gear and think a phone is the weakest link in the chain.  I was convinced I was going to get the 66i.  My smartphone is old and will be non-functional soon. I'm on the prowl for a new phone and will see how things play out.

Given that circumstance, I just bought the Mini and will use it with a new smartphone when I decide which one to get. I've seen some YT videos of GAIA and it's ability to record tracks and do a track back.  I'm still skeptical.  I'll try it and also load CalTopo on a new phone and see how it goes. If there is any reluctance, I'll sell the Mini and get the 66i.

So there we have it...the bad news is I feel like I've compromised and gone to the dark side. The good news is I can kick the Mini to the curb and get the 66i if I'm not comfortable with things.

Now...what smartphone shall I get?