Native American Bigfoot Legends

It's probably been posted here before, but I found an interesting website on Native American Bigfoot legends and thought I'd post it.

They also have a Native American mythical characters website link. I couldn't get the monster link to work, fwiw. And stories of "forest dwarves" in the Great Plains! Fascinating.

http://www.native-languages.org/legends-bigfoot.htm

BFF Patron

http://web.ncf.ca/bz050/HomePage.bfna.html

Here is another good reference.

That was also a very interesting article, bipedalist! Thanks for that. I especially liked this part:

The Clackamas Indians (a branch of the Chinook), maintain that in the lands of the headwaters of the Clackamas river, adolescent Bigfeet beings have to pass a test to become an adult members of the Bigfoot tribe. They must jump in front of a human on a trail, and wave their hands in front of the humans face, without being seen.

Native mythology as a whole is a fascinating subject, and this looks very interesting indeed. I look forward to perusing this site. Thanks very much for sharing that.

Cool PS on that too:

"The Clackamas Indians (a branch of the Chinook), maintain that in the lands of the headwaters of the Clackamas river, adolescent Bigfeet beings have to pass a test to become an adult members of the Bigfoot tribe. They must jump in front of a human on a trail, and wave their hands in front of the humans face, without being seen."

BFF Patron

An interesting form of evidence. But by no means hard evidence.

You must be lost young one, this is not an evidence thread..... and why must every thread be turned into one? Just sayin' :bye:

BFF Patron

The bigfoot forums virtual library has a nice article that describes coastal SC/GA bigfoot sightings and culture some by notable citizens such as sheriffs but also by the Gullah culture in the SC islands nearby.

Including:

The only Creek legend sounding even vaguely like Bigfoot originated after the

tribe’s removal to the west: the Este Chupco (tall person), which was never seen

but was heard as he passed through the forest “slapping the trees.â€(23)

Edited by bipedalist

Cool PS on that too:

"The Clackamas Indians (a branch of the Chinook), maintain that in the lands of the headwaters of the Clackamas river, adolescent Bigfeet beings have to pass a test to become an adult members of the Bigfoot tribe. They must jump in front of a human on a trail, and wave their hands in front of the humans face, without being seen."

This explains a lot ;)

It's probably been posted here before, but I found an interesting website on Native American Bigfoot legends and thought I'd post it.

They also have a Native American mythical characters website link. I couldn't get the monster link to work, fwiw. And stories of "forest dwarves" in the Great Plains! Fascinating.

http://www.native-la...nds-bigfoot.htm

I was reading through his thread yesterday: http://bigfootforums.com/index.php?/topic/7281-bigfoot-native-americans/page__hl__wayah

Some very interesting stories there.

• 1 year later...

This was a great find, thanks for references.

Most Cheyenne oral history that mentioned the Hairy Men regarded them as extinct or nearly so.

Quote from the link in the OP. Interesting parallel to some modern thought.

The bigfoot forums virtual library has a nice article that describes coastal SC/GA bigfoot sightings and culture some by notable citizens such as sheriffs but also by the Gullah culture in the SC islands nearby.

Including:

The only Creek legend sounding even vaguely like Bigfoot originated after the tribe’s removal to the west: the Este Chupco (tall person), which was never seen but was heard as he passed through the forest “slapping the trees.â€(23)

I would be grateful for a link to said library or the article.

Edited by JKH

Humm..............after 12,000 years of living with BF, Native Americans didn't view BF as a friend. Do I really want to hang out with bigfoot?

In the traditions of many Salish and other Northwest Indian tribes, Stick Indians are malevolent and extremely dangerous forest spirits. Details about Stick Indians vary from tribe to tribe (they are described as large, hairy bigfoot-like creatures by the Salish, and as forest dwarves by the Cayuse and Yakama.) In some traditions Stick Indians have powers to paralyze, hypnotize, or cause insanity in hapless humans, while in others, they merely lead people astray by making eerie sounds of whistling or laughter in the woods at night. In some stories Stick Indians may eat people who fall prey to them, kidnap children, or molest women. They also take aggressive revenge against people who injure or disrespect them, no matter how unintentionally.

I'm already insane according to my immediate family, composed of Oregon natives, for discussing bigfoot!