Native American Bigfoot Legends

Hey cool, they link to my book on that page!

The Virtual Library is in the PMP area of the forum which requires a paid membership. It's filled with all kinds of bigfoot related articles and stories.

Guest zenmonkey

Hey cool, they link to my book on that page!

The Virtual Library is in the PMP area of the forum which requires a paid membership. It's filled with all kinds of bigfoot related articles and stories.

I really enjoyed your book btw been meaning to PM you and thank you for it!

An interesting form of evidence. But by no means hard evidence.

Only evidence that legends existed at one time about some thing.

The legends themselves are interesting enough in of themselves but their origins are unverifiable, there's no feasable way to determine if they are describing a real creature or something fabricated from a trip down the peace pipe, and many of the legends must be shoe horned to fit the modern idea of Bigfoot. As evidence goes, I wouldn't even consider the legends to be weak evidence.

Guest LarryP

there's no feasable way to determine if they are describing a real creature or something fabricated from a trip down the peace pipe

There's a very feasible way. Go talk to the Native Americans yourself about Tsu Kalul.

http://visitcherokeenc.com/the-people/maps/

That way you can look them in the eye. Which is vastly more effective than an internet forum.

Plus, it's beautiful up there.

Oh? And the American Indian that I would talk to today would have first hand knowledge that could verify said story?

Color me skeptical.

Guest LarryP

Yes there are Cherokee up in western NC who have plenty of first hand knowledge.

Color me skeptical.         

How convenient.

Yes there are Cherokee up in western NC who have plenty of first hand knowledge.

No. First hand knowledge means actually having been there. All these legends are, at best, third hand accounts. And that's assuming that these legends originated with a specific tribe as opposed to inherited by a tribe they conquered or were conquered by or split off from. Without verifiable accounts these legends have to be treated as no different from a camp fire story. Interesting perhaps, culturally significant for the tribes involved no doubt, but stories none the less.

Guest LarryP

I wasn't referring to just first hand knowledge of the legends, I was referring to personal first hand knowledge of BF.

There are quite a lot of them in the mountains of western NC.

No. First hand knowledge means actually having been there. All these legends are, at best, third hand accounts. And that's assuming that these legends originated with a specific tribe as opposed to inherited by a tribe they conquered or were conquered by or split off from. Without verifiable accounts these legends have to be treated as no different from a camp fire story. Interesting perhaps, culturally significant for the tribes involved no doubt, but stories none the less.

It's an interesting approach.  To devalue the culture like that.  But hey, they were but savages, no?

It's an interesting approach.

It's a realistic and historically accurate approach.  The American Indians were as violent as any other culture contemporary to their time, and there's plenty of anthropological evidence to indicate that they were.  They fought with eachother, conquered each other, killed each other.  They absorbed, were absorbed, or split off from other tribes just like any other tribal culture.  It stands to reason that when they did, they picked up some of the language, customs, and legends of other tribes.

Cotter said:

To devalue the culture like that.

It is not my intention to devalue their culture, but neither will I put it on a pedestal and treat with absolute reverence.  The Indians were and are merely human.

Cotter said:

But hey, they were but savages, no?

Savage is as is savage does, Cotter.

It is not my intention to devalue their culture, but neither will I put it on a pedestal and treat with absolute reverence.  The Indians were and are merely human.

OK, but to me your previous post didn't read as such.  To me (and perhaps I inappropriately inferred) it came across as sort of a 'well, since the NA's don't have any proof of their claims, it is hogwash'.

That, in 1 fail swoop, devalued their contributions to zero.  Now, I admit, there are some very well 'interesting' claims made by some NA lore, but to roll up all of what the NA's have to offer us about this country (of which they inhabited long before us Europeans came over), and toss it aside is a disservice.

IMO of course.

Guest keninsc
I'm already insane according to my immediate family, composed of Oregon natives, for discussing bigfoot!

Not to worry, sanity is way over rated.

:girlwacko: