Habituators Evidence

Martin

If BF exists, I'd bet a scared BF is more dangerous than a scared human at close quarters.

I was face to face with a huge male 20 feet away. He didn't seem too concerned. I wasn't afraid either.

It would take an extremely naive individual that does not fear and ultimately respect the dangers of camping/hiking off the beaten track.

Romanticised ideas of bigfoot, bears and mountain lions could spell a whole lot of trouble for the occasional outdoorsman.

Mark, experienced people are telling you otherwise. There is no "romanticism" here.

But believe as you like.

Please, stay open and loving. No harm comes to a loving heart.

If people were to enter the woods on regular basis with this mindset, Paulides will have enough material for several more books in the 411 series.

[/size]

If people were to enter the woods on regular basis with this mindset, Paulides will have enough material for several more books in the 411 series.

We get what we put out. If you want to put out fear and aggression when you walk in the woods -- or anywhere, for that matter -- that's what you'll get back. If you can work on lowering the levels of your fear and your aggression, you'll have a better experience, wherever you are.

Mark, experienced people are telling you otherwise. There is no "romanticism" here. But believe as you like.

No offense, but......."experienced" at what exactly?

We get what we put out. If you want to put out fear and aggression when you walk in the woods -- or anywhere, for that matter -- that's what you'll get back. If you can work on lowering the levels of your fear and your aggression, you'll have a better experience, wherever you are.

I could post very specific examples to the contrary all day long. Timothy Treadwell, "the Grizzly Man" is a perfect example of why I don't think it's very responsible to be advising .....err........"impressionable" people to disregard our natural evolutionary 'fight or flight' response when encountering predatory animals.

This goes for human predators too. I could provide many specific examples of the most loving, altruistic, empathetic, caring people on the planet who have been attacked, maimed, tortured, sexually assaulted, or brutally murdered (or any combination of those) because they were naive about the realities of nature, human or otherwise.

You can say you don't want to live in a world where this is how you must think, and I propose that; you may not have to if you ignore our evolved responses. Have you ever seen how an animals hair will stand up on end when it when it feels threatened? This is a physical part of the 'fight or flight' response that makes an animal look larger and more threatening while it considers which of the two options to execute. When you have an encounter where you get goose bumps, that is the exact same response, except we no longer have the coarse bristling body hair to stand on end. Be prepared to fight or flee. When you feel this occur, do not ignore it. If all of our ancestors had psyched themselves into over-riding the appropriate natural reaction, we would not be here to have this conversation today.

Read the book "Gift of Fear- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Gift_of_Fear Very interesting book on hunches, suspicions, gut warnings etc and how to respond to them. To bring this back to sasquatch, think of how this response serves THEM when we humans are trying to get evidence of them. I would imagine their danger sense is well developed.

I went to a work shop last night on campus security and what to do if a shooter was in the building. He police officer spoke on aggression, warning signs and body language. Maybe we cannot collect good evidence of bigfoot because we are unconsciously signalling and broadcasting our intentions to be sneaky and dangerous to them... and they read those signs and stay away, just like I could read a mugger's intentions even though the person hasn't done anything yet. I bet we telegraph our intentions when we go into the woods - goes along with what LeafTalker was saying, but also I have to say it's a survival skill that we ignore at our peril. But I think it's a tool we can cultivate and use to our advantage.

(Got mugged in Los Angeles once and KNEW it was going to happen before it did.... I had picked up on those signals, and responded half correctly).

I follow my gut feelings almost always....and have all my life, on the very base physical fear level and it has served me well....too many incidents in life to even share...but yeah..listen to that sometimes quiet voice, sometimes loud....but the trick with BFs is listening to that real " natural response feel" rather than the imaginative mind and the unknown.....and since so much time out there is in the dark - literally and figuratively - testing those responses eventually becomes necessary....and working past fear.....as most of it is born of imagination not experience..with BFs anyway...

For me that is the hallmark of the habituator approach...time, repeat close observation/contact, time and more time.... observation and discernment...and more time... not only does this reduce the fear of the BFs toward you, but as many say the observer gets habituated too, and in most cases that natural fear subsides....ground rules get developed and a somewhat comfortable coexistence does seem possible...maybe even more one day....

Edited by apehuman

Maybe we cannot collect good evidence of bigfoot because we are unconsciously signalling and broadcasting our intentions to be sneaky and dangerous to them... and they read those signs and stay away, just like I could read a mugger's intentions even though the person hasn't done anything yet. I bet we telegraph our intentions when we go into the woods -

That is the approach Robert W Morgan espouses in his book. http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/0937663158

I know several members here have had success going this route. I myself have given up any efforts to gather proof of bigfoot's existence, and simply try to experience them on this more basic level.

*edited to counteract FFS(Fat Finger syndrome).

Edited by Bonehead74

Yeah It was one of three books I bought initially (Krantz and Meldrum the others) and applied it and it works..and I notice Meldrum has titled his new book a "Field Guide." :) anyone read it yet?

Guest LarryP
This goes for human predators too. I could provide many specific examples of the most loving, altruistic, empathetic, caring people on the planet who have been attacked, maimed, tortured, sexually assaulted, or brutally murdered (or any combination of those) because they were naive about the realities of nature, human or otherwise.

In the vast majortiy of those cases it was because they weren't street smart. Anyone who wanders into the wrong area of any major city is in much more danger than someone who's hiking alone in the wilderness.

Edited by LarryP

Yeah It was one of three books I bought initially (Krantz and Meldrum the others) and applied it and it works..and I notice Meldrum has titled his new book a "Field Guide." :) anyone read it yet?

I don't think the field guide is a book, but rather a laminated fold-out intended to be pocket-carried into the field.

I thought it was supposed to be released this month but haven't heard anything.

Just checked. It's on Amazon.