Where Would You Look If You Were Hunting Sassy?

Guest Nalajr

Guest onthelooseagain

i would get an advance, from the rich person to get some good equipment, and stay at painthorse's place for a month, and split the rest of the cash with her and her husband :good: :good:

Back on topic - I would have to go with PNW. I'm still very skeptical of sighting reports from more populated areas.

Off topic - a "killer instinct" may not be able to be taught, but killing does get "easier" over time. I'm not sure if easier is the right word here.

I would go on the radio and ask for folks to submit samples for a DNA study, I would then travel to Europe extensively, create my own on-line journal, then report my findings and data that 'prove' they exist.

;-)

Generally speaking, I'd stick around this area (Oregon) and Nathan's set up sounds like a dream! And a wonderful plan.

I would look at the areas that have already had sightings and historical stories. Other criteria would include: water, dense forest, brushy cover, a more than sufficient food supply for a large creature, nearness of farms/ranches/orchards and a sparse population.

I'd also look for those weird signs that folks say bigfoots leave: broken branches, X's, broken tree tops, blinds etc.

I would set up a 24/7 surveillance camera system in a tree deep in the woods of the Pacific North West, using a solar panels for power and cellular tech so it could be monitored by everyone here in the BFF. That would be money well spent. Hell I might just look into it and do it any way. LOL

Edited by Joey Rebar

Admin

I have never been to the PNW, but would love to go there. But I would probably stay in WV. Its just a personal thing with me. I have been to places in WV very deep and far from any people, looking and listening for any signs of Bigfoot. I have not had any success as of yet. I have visited areas of reported sightings with hopes of some type of evidence discovery. I also know the country in WV, as opposed to researching in unfamiliar territory. It would be special to me to see or hear a Squatch here in WV. I know 3 people who have actually seen a Bigfoot in the mountains. With major financial backing, I would be able to utilize some cutting edge equipment to aid in my research.

Hey all,

Lets say some ultra wealthy believer comes to you and offers you 10 million to bring back video evidence that Sassy is real. You can go anywhere you want and you've got 1 month to do it.

Where would you go?

I would go exactly 5.5 miles from my house in the month of July.

First thing I'd tell him is: don't know how you got rich. But if you think anybody is bringing you a bigfoot in a month, you're a fool.

One would think that a well-heeled mainstream group might see that as a challenge or something. But Jane Goodall and George Schaller didn't come up with any findings on their apes in a lousy month. And we knew for sure that their apes were real and living in the areas they went to.

First thing I'd tell him is: don't know how you got rich. But if you think anybody is bringing you a bigfoot in a month, you're a fool.

A famous quote: "A fool and his money are soon parted"

I know a lot of people think Washington, Oregon, and N. California are hot spots for bigfoot, but I actually think Ontario is where it's at.

Great Topic!!

I think a month is not nearly long enough, but that being said, Olympic National Forest, Washington State....sorry, big surprise! lol That area boasts fantastic habitat, very healthy Deer and Elk population, vast wilderness and abundant food sources at many elevations. Food, water and cover.

IMHO, the best chance you have a seeing and interacting with them is, research an area with a history of credible sightings and proper habitat. Look extensively for tracks near water sources. Get away from populated areas and don't be afraid to get remote doing your studies. If tracks are found, try to figure out how old they are..note time of year, elevation, direction, and try to figure out why the tracks are there if you can. Are they in a river basin, coming down a ridge, or following an Elk herd? Is it calving season?

Take the information you've learned and try to formulate a possible pattern or hypothesis, and then wash rinse and repeat, again and again. After a while..hopefully you will start to get a handle on said area, and then you've taken the first steps toward "predictability". In my opinion that is the absolute key to successful research. If you can start to predict their movements, it will raise your odds through the roof.

Now, in order to establish contact, IMHO, you would then insert yourself into that habitat and stay there in a non- threatening way. You would set up camp and go about your business of eating, sleeping and surviving. It would be smart to do the same things every day, in the same manor. Then you become predictable. When you become predictable then you're less of a threat. Once they are satisfied with your presence and your predictability...they will come to you.

You don't need fancy gadgets for this, or a million dollars, just a serious passion for the research and the appropriate amount of time to devote to it..and much patience.

Sorry to ramble, but this is a great subject.

DR

Edited by Derekfoot

^^^One of the reasons I think this is a great topic as well you pointed out, very well, in your post:

Get out there and behave like a wildlife biologist.

It's an animal, right? Well? Treat it like one. Look for it the way you do other animals: use information you have and keep building on it.

One of the problems with amateurs doing this is that they can't spend the time in the field, because bigfoot research is not where the money's coming from. "Being predictable" means being there for a long time. This is why coyotes, and bears, and mountain lions, and bobcats - and, um, sasquatch, just read the reports - come up to houses, and kill livestock, raid crops, etc. The people have "become predictable," and over time, the animals learn when and how to take advantage.

And this is why "Finding Bigfoot" fails: those guys are a disruption, everywhere they go, and chase everything away. OK, they aren't wildlife biologists. But didn't they - didn't everybody - have a Dad telling them, be quiet or you'll scare away the fish? They're animals, too, and they know what to do when we arrive. Which is why fishing, hunting, and sasquatch documentation are challenges.

Edited by DWA

SSR Team

Great post DR.

I miss seeing posts like DR's, which is spot-on, btw. I've talked with Bobby about this recently too. It seems that there is more of a shift towards the BF drama and events, than actual research locations and techniques/methods, which is why I originally came to this board.

As far as areas go, I, like DR, am completely biased towards my area, which is the Gifford Pinchot NF, which encompasses areas of Mt.Rainier/St.Helens. Either the Olympics, or this area would be where the best Squatchin' on earth goes down, in my biased opinion:)

Every area is unique, and studying the topogrophy/terrain, waterways, and the habits of their prey animals(elk/deer) is essential, if you are serious about researching a particular area, IMO. Reading past reports in the area is a great idea, especially if you can narrow down an approximate location on a map, so you can attempt to narrow down possible entry/exit routes to each encounter, and why they were there, and where they were going. Every encounter tells a story, and like DR says, you've got to figure out the who/what/when/where/why's and how's of any particular encounter, and start assembling the pieces of the story that each encounter tells in a particular area. Every area that has BF's are unique, and no matter where it is, study the area, create a hypothesis based on your available data for said area, and test methods. Once someone can start predicting their patterns in an area, you'll eventually have your proof. Unfortunately, none of us have quite figured it out yet. I don't think it'll be too long now, though. Actually, I think we're probably gonna do it on the Olympic Project expedition May 10th-12th:)