Power Lines As Travel Routes

Guest bsruther

Guest bsruther

There are multiple things that cause me to question Bigfoot's existence, but probably most important is food sources and depleting the food sources in an area that they might inhabit. I think it would be possible for a creature of this size to exist, in the densely forested PNW, but I just couldn't see how they could survive east of the Rockies and still avoid people, as well as it seems they do.

I would imagine the topic of Bigfoot using power line right of ways has been discussed on the old forum at some point, but I haven't seen too much about it in the new forum. Anyway, after reading on different sites, about the connection between BF and Power lines, it got me thinking. The use of power line cuts by these creatures, would dramatically expand their hunting resources, while helping them to avoid detection by humans. It would also make it possible for them to hunt very close to populated areas and return to their area of habitation, via the power line cuts. These areas would be desirable feeding grounds for a lot of wild animals that this creature would hunt and it would also make for good ambushing.

This past weekend, the wife and I went for our Sunday ride and I've always noticed the power line cuts, crossing roads in different areas, but this time I paid closer attention. I was really surprised at how many cuts there were and how densely forested they were. When I got home, I checked out satellite views of the area and it appeared to me that there were nearly as many miles of power line cuts, as there were roads. By looking at the maps, I could see how many different tracts of forested land could be connected to make a forest that covered thousands of acres. As far as I know, the only people that use these areas are, Hunters, in the fall and off-roaders, in the summer, although the power company seems to take measures to deter the off-roaders.

I know as well as anyone that wild animals rule the night. At least 3 nights a week, Coyotes howl within 50 yards of my bedroom window. I often find a variety of animal tracks within a few feet of my house. I see no reason why these creatures wouldn't be able to travel the power line cuts, freely.

A lot of what I've read about BF and power lines, leans towards using them for migration, but does anyone think they would also use them to expand their habitat?

Guest MichiganMonster

For the most part, I believe animals are lazy. They will take the path of least resistence whenever possible. All excess energy wasted will be energy needed to be replaced. Animals generally follow well worn paths instead of cutting new ones. Power lines offer excellant fields of view and ease of travel. Vegitation usually is thinker along the forested edge due to more light being able to shine onto the forest floor. It would make a great ambush site also watching from one side to the other. Another thing is that maybe, just maybe ol' Hairy would use a set of power lines to mark his/her territorial boundry. It all makes perfect sense to me!

but I just couldn't see how they could survive east of the Rockies and still avoid people, as well as it seems they do.

You have never walked through the woods in the south, they rival jungles, not to mention swampy areas, and the limestone caves that are here. There are a lot of little blips of small towns on the numerous roads criss crossing the state but I'm essentially surrounded by wilderness for 80 to 100 miles in any direction you go leaving Columbia, SC. Plenty of water, flora and fauna for survival if you aren't a picky eater, plenty of power line right of ways too. :)

Guest bsruther

but I just couldn't see how they could survive east of the Rockies and still avoid people, as well as it seems they do.

You have never walked through the woods in the south, they rival jungles, not to mention swampy areas, and the limestone caves that are here. There are a lot of little blips of small towns on the numerous roads criss crossing the state but I'm essentially surrounded by wilderness for 80 to 100 miles in any direction you go leaving Columbia, SC. Plenty of water, flora and fauna for survival if you aren't a picky eater, plenty of power line right of ways too. :)

I've been to Columbia. Seen the woods there, but haven't been in them. I doubt if they're any deeper than the woods here in Kentucky. Ours is different type of forest, more deciduous than pine, I get what you're saying though.

SSR Team

I would imagine the topic of Bigfoot using power line right of ways has been discussed on the old forum at some point, but I haven't seen too much about it in the new forum.

I'm pretty sure i remember some real good stuff by Oregonman on the old Forum with regards to this, may be he can chip into to this Thread with it seeing's as it may have been lost from before.. :)

SSR Team

I've been to Columbia. Seen the woods there, but haven't been in them. I doubt if they're any deeper than the woods here in Kentucky. Ours is different type of forest, more deciduous than pine, I get what you're saying though.

Colombia ?? South America ??

Guest tracker

There are multiple things that cause me to question Bigfoot's existence, but probably most important is food sources and depleting the food sources in an area that they might inhabit. I think it would be possible for a creature of this size to exist, in the densely forested PNW, but I just couldn't see how they could survive east of the Rockies and still avoid people, as well as it seems they do.

Sorry bsruther but thats a common misunderstanding from west coasters. They do exist outside of the Rockies or Cascades. Actually i would say it may be even easier for them to live here than in the west. Warmer shorter winters more waterways smaller mts with plenty of cover etc. Where have you hiked in the east, middle or south to support your opinion?

Very interesting! Last Thursday a friend of mine I haven't seen in months (who used to chortle when I told him we get squatches up here sometimes) approached me with a look of confusion/shock. His first words were "I believe you now dude." and handed me his phone. I saw several photos of a line of eight very fresh tracks with five clearly defined toes. They were at least six inches longer than his size 13 boot, and over an inch deep in soil that he couldn't make a good dent in. (He's approx 280 lbs) The terrain before and after the track line was too rocky to show prints of any kind. He was on his grandfathers 400+ acres here in the upstate of South Carolina, Greenville County to be exact. The land is used by the family for hunting deer, bear, pig, turkey etc. He went thru the whole episode, "hair stood up on the back of my neck", "drew my sidearm and backed out of there" etc. He said "NO one goes that far back (5 miles from the nearest road) on my grandpa's land. Period." In fact it'd been almost a year since he or any family had been near this particular spot. When I asked how he gets up there, he told me he takes his 4-wheeler as far as he can, following the clearcut for the power lines and then hikes. The track line was found "just a few yards" into the tree line.

I've asked him to email the photos. He wants no part of his name mentioned, but gave me permission to post them and file an anonymous report with the BFRO. He doesn't plan on ever going back to that area, but said he'd ask his grandpa if I could camp there sometime, "at my own risk." As of now, I'm waiting on the photos.

Really cool story! :) Do you know what his grandpa thinks about it?

- Shake

Hi Shake! I have no idea, but I can assume no one in his family believes. (Hence the eye rolling I always got from him at the mention of anything squatchy.) I'll ask the next time we talk. That was a great "I-told-you-so" moment for me! :lol:

Guest bsruther

Sorry bsruther but thats a common misunderstanding from west coasters. They do exist outside of the Rockies or Cascades. Actually i would say it may be even easier for them to live here than in the west. Warmer shorter winters more waterways smaller mts with plenty of cover etc. Where have you hiked in the east, middle or south to support your opinion?

Mostly Eastern Tennessee and Eastern Kentucky and I fully understand that there is some densely forested land to be found. But there is a lot more land that is sporadically forested, east of the rockies, than not. If these creatures exist, throughout the lower 48, they must have a means of navigation, while avoiding detection. Before I heard or read anything about them possibly using power lines, I couldn't see any way they could inhabit such a large area, that was also densely populated with humans. Now that I'm aware of this theory, I can see how they could be found throughout the country.

That's an interesting story Efrum. Something else that occurred to me is that power lines give off an audible signal that can be heard by humans. I wonder if there are sounds that they emit in lower or higher frequencies, that can be heard by animals, but not us. And maybe it could also be possible to hear them from further distances and use them for homing.

I believe they follow any right of way out there, there have been several reports from along gas line right of ways around Western PA. Its a clear cut area where they can stay just out on an edge and duck into cover if something came along. Plus aside from maintence workers folks tend to stay off them.

But there is a lot more land that is sporadically forested, east of the rockies, than not.

Bsruther.. Are you talking about the Great Plains ??? :lol:

Because I can tell you that in my travels all over the eastern half of the US, I saw lots of woods...

Here in NY alone, The Adirondack Park, and The Catskill park encompass 6.9 MILLION acres of forests... (6.1 Adirondacks, 750,000 -Catskills). Thats the parts that are set aside as "forever wild" areas... no development.

This is kind of off on a tangent, because it doesnt really address the whole power/gas pipeline cuts question, but you've made comments at least twice now about how you dont understand how BF could exist (evade human contact) east of the mississippi ??

Regardless of whether or not they are able to, or do travel via these cuts.... I'm afraid i dont understand that reasoning at all....

Edited by Art1972

I saw several photos of a line of eight very fresh tracks with five clearly defined toes. They were at least six inches longer than his size 13 boot, and over an inch deep in soil that he couldn't make a good dent in.

You must not be reading the Wallace stomper discussion. There's a contingent there that will prove those tracks were made by Wallace's original stompers.