Makes No Sense...

Guest Grifter9931

violate the laws of physics,

Here we go again.

SPECIFICALLY which "laws of physics" are you referring to?

I never said anyone was violating the laws of physics.

Making extraordinary claims requires extraordinary evidence if one expects to be taken seriously.  For instance, I was driving across a bridge on the Mississippi river near St. Louis about a month ago and I saw a pelican fly by.  Now everyone knows there aren't pelicans in St. Louis - right?  

Same thing happened to me in October one year - two white pelicans in DE, over the Chesapeake and Delaware Canal.  No way they are there, any time of year...until I found out that a small group was wintering at Blackwater National Wildlife Refuge in MD, not far away.  Happens.  And of course I have no proof, even though I know for sure what I saw.  (The white pelican, in flight, may be North America's most distinctive bird; only the wood stork comes close, and the bald eagle doesn't even rate.)  I couldn't ask an ornithologist to trust me, just give him the info for whatever use he would choose to make of it.

It seems very problematic to me that some habituators get defensive when they are asked for evidence.  In my situation, we're talking about a known species, and even though the presence of the birds was documented in my area, that still doesn't "prove" that I saw one.  

I defend to the death their right not to share evidence with me.  It just means that their story does nothing one way or the other to my take on the evidence, that's all.

Hoo boy...    Today is the first real chance I've had to read through this entire thread, and to be honest some of the comments left me shaking my head.

Let's clear a couple of things up shall we? 

This is a private forum, and when you joined, you agreed to abide by the rules and guidelines that are plainly and clearly spelled out. 

It's made perfectly clear that all members are entitled to share their opinion, as long as they do so in a way that falls within the specified guidelines.

That means that there's absolutely nothing wrong with a member telling you flat out- "I DON'T BELIEVE YOU".

If you expected to come here, and receive nothing but warm and fuzzy replies, and pats on the back, then you were wrong.

That also means that if/when you disagree with someone, or do not believe their claims, you're expected to communicate your opinion in an adult, intelligent, and polite manner.   Other than the fact that some of you enjoy doing so, there's really no need for the constant snide remarks and personal shots taken, that fly just under the radar.   Some of you have become masters at operating in this "grey area", where you stay within the rules, but make it oh so clear the utter disdain you have for some of your co-members.   

I'm so sick of hearing people say "it ought to be this way, or that way",  "Habituator's should have their own safe place to discuss things", or "the skeptics should just stay out of the discussion".   That's not how it works around here, and you don't get to make the rules up as you see fit.

Our rules and guidelines make it perfectly clear that this is not the "Anti-Bigfoot Forums", and ask that skeptics be at least able to accept the proponents point of view,  in order for their own to be accepted.

But at the same time, the following is also clearly stated:

Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence. On the BFF we accept very little at face value. We may have a tendency to over-analyze claims and be more skeptical than some other forums dedicated to this topic, but we think that is preferable to the alternative.

There are those among our membership who seem to consistently either glance over, or ignore that little paragraph,  and expect that their claims can be made, and should remain unchallenged.   Again, that's not how things operate here.

The simple fact is that if you're going to share your experiences here, you should be prepared to deal with some members who may not believe you, or may offer alternative explanations for what you've seen, heard, smelled, or felt.

I've been around here long enough to have seen a fairly basic pattern develop.   Seems like everything is fine, as long as other members are expressing how amazed, shocked, or jealous they are of the posting member's experiences,  but the minute someone say's "that sounded like an owl", or "I'm sorry but I find your story hard to believe", well then all hell breaks loose.

We obviously do not want to discourage our members from posting their experiences, and want this to be a place where our members feel safe and comfortable doing so.  But in doing so, they must be willing to acknowledge that not everyone will be prepared to accept things at face value.

Lashing out and criticizing those more skeptically inclined, accusing them of being "inexperienced" and ignorant, because they don't believe you, is just as bad as someone who refuses to acknowledge any scrap of evidence because they've already written off the possibility of Bigfoot existence.

There's no one guilty party here, and it appears at times that some members just enjoy arguing, and making things personal.

There's plenty of room for everyone's opinion, and all we ask is that an acceptable level of civility and decorum is preserved.

If we could all do that, things would stay running a whole lot smoother around here.

(But I'm not holding my breath waiting for that to happen).

-A-

I was just trying to inject a bit of humor over the failure of wildlife to respect boundaries. Just clarifying and it was not meant for any side of the discussion. LOL

And not meant to make fun of anyone.... :)

Admin

Plus 1 for you, Art.

I have to run off to a meeting, but one quick comment: you are saying that people see BF poop, but are just incapable of picking some up for analysis? Or the people willing to do that are, unfortunately and coincidentally, not the ones seeing it? Even it's pooh can be seen but not collected? Amazing...

One thing I will never believe under penalty of torture is that every single person who has run across a huge but human-looking pile of poo in the woods is gonna be compelled to go dip in there for the benefit of science.  (I'll watch.  Promise.)

At least a couple folks have watched a bigfoot crap in a creek.  Hmmmm.  Maybe that's why we don't have more poo finds.

"One thing I will never believe under penalty of torture is that every single person who has run across a huge but human-looking pile of poo in the woods is gonna be compelled to go dip in there for the benefit of science."

I am forced to agree with you there. But, if I was out there looking to collect BF biological samples, skat would be a good one. But I guess the people out there looking for samples, must have **** for luck.  :)

I for one am not going to find a person's reluctance to bring home the scat as anything other than a natural and healthy aversion. It is of limited evidentiary value as well.  Take a photo? Sure (much easier to justify these days when you don't have to share your  photos with the boys down at the film lab...Here's umm, what I did on my vacation...) but recognize it is not likely to bust the whole question wide open.   

On this note, DWA were looking at a recent BFRO "Class B" report from Florida yesterday, with some photos of putative Sasquatch scat. My comment was the investigator must not have spent any time around hogs, because it clearly (to me at least) was wild hog spoor...but the only way I could pass that judgment was to see it, in situ. (Maybe my wife doesn't need to know what I'm doing here after all, huh?)    

^^ The wife? Maybe not. I leave tomorrow for a 12 day vacation in Lake Tahoe area. Going to be doing a lot of hiking in the woods, mountain biking, horse back riding kind of thing. I am pretty sure my wife would not appreciate it either if I suddenly stopped and bent low to the ground to look at big steamer  :)

Guest Grifter9931

Tahoe in the winter is pure ecstasy.... Good snow boarding, hot women, hot tubs filled with hot women :tease: ....

Always a great time  :wild: