Tree Manipulation/ Wood Structures: What Is The Evidence?

WSA

Out of context, you can make any of these natural.  Point being most were not and were associated with a research area that produced a sighting.  

I place these pictures here for serious researchers to utilize, not to argue their validity, thank you just the same.   The pine snag at the stump was fifteen or more ft. down slope from the upslope prop.  Nothing natural about that.  

Well that was pretty snippy, I wasn’t aware anyone was arguing were you? If you don't want comments on your photos place a note below,  or don't post them.

Edited by Gumshoeye

That horizontal limb was over my head and reach. I do check immediate area for stumps, etc. I went out today and took this picture of a formation I have been watching since last Summer. It is located in a small clearing in the middle of over a dozen acorn producing oak trees. They are no more than 12" diameter. I also found and photographed several piles of scat and some audio to review. It was a great day to be in the swamp.

post-21068-0-13326200-1425774697.jpg

BFF Patron

Well that was pretty snippy, I wasn’t aware anyone was arguing were you? If you don't want comments on your photos place a note below,  or don't post them.

I responded by saying it wasn't natural, rebuttal is part of the process, not part of being snippy.   As I said, I could publish a book on these. 

Snippy is in the eye of the beholder.  I will not publish anymore pictures (I've already posted to a zillion stick formation threads anyway) and couldn't care less if you comment on one or not.

Last I checked you don't own the thread, and moreover you were not even the OP> 

Edited by bipedalist

^^^

Well the term serious researcher is also a self-made term my friend, good luck! You're correct, I don't own the thread or forum and neither do you obviously. Hold the condescension though, I'm through with this thread and you.

Edited by Gumshoeye

I enjoy your posts and input Biped, I hope you reconsider. While out today I recorded some audio on my phone. I will post this one here since it is the same area as the structures at station2. Listen to how loud the response is to my wood taps. I had been hearing stuff all day but this was as loud as a gun.

oops. I can't upload a AMR file.

Here is a picture of some fresh scat I found in the area. It was so fresh it made me gag and is the second time in a couple weeks I have found scat like this. Notice the coloration and it was sitting on a nest of pine straw.

post-21068-0-32879700-1425780327.jpg

Edited by Hellbilly

I found this scat on Feb. 15 of this year in same area as above. Note the similarities and the location at the base of the tree.

post-21068-0-27151100-1425781777.jpg

Gumshoeye, bipedalist, it is my hope you guys can work things out as you both have much to offer and contribute to this thread and have done so thus far. The rest of us will continue on, regardless, but your insight and contributions will be missed, and that is unfortunate. It is my hope you guys can work this out. Would it help if I said please and you guys at least try?

Anyway, I've found some more pics I took in 2012 that I thought were stranded on my dead desktop computer. I found them in my email account under "sent" where I emailed them to my friend back in 2012. I'll review them and see if there's anything of interest. If there is, I'll post them here.

Hellbilly, that pic of the poop on the bed of pine needles reminded me of something odd I ran across a while back. In front of the suspected hunting blind I investigated there was a raised pile of pine needles and leaves. When we looked to see what was underneath we saw fresh deer scat. Do deer cover up thier scat? I don't think they do but I may be wrong. I just thought it was odd at the time. And that scat on the bed of pine needles is curious indeed.

Thanks for the additional insight WSA.

Back to the Indian trail markers, I did some snooping around and found these interesting pics.

attachicon.gifDSCF6726.JPG attachicon.gifDSCF5766.JPG

attachicon.gifDSCF6420.JPG

What's wrong with these pics you might ask? Young trees. Meaning this type of tree manipulation is still taking place to this day.

Here's the source of the pics. Link

Have you ever seen an Indian marker that has grown into tall mature tree? It’s difficult to believe until you see with your own eyes but Midnight Owl, has a photo of a BF perched on a 60 foot tall pine and in the surrounding trees are two plainly visible Indian markers as you call it. Probably very old trees that have grown from saplings still intact to extraordinary heights.

Have you ever seen an Indian marker that has grown into tall mature tree?

You mean like this?

post-1320-0-71164300-1426171278.jpg

post-1320-0-03776600-1426171304.jpg

post-1320-0-01569900-1426171330.jpg

post-1320-0-90607800-1426171441.jpg

Nope never have seen one... :)

Seriously though, I would have probably never took note or looked for such a thing until WSA brought it up.  It wasn't until he mentioned them that I knew what to look for. So I looked, and lo and behold, there one was.

It does make a nice lookout perch complete with green branches that have the potential to provide cover as shown in pics 008 and 009. Do Midnight Owl's pics show similar cover? Next time I'm out there I'll look at it closer.

Funny thing, while exploring the hills and hollows behind the local soccer complex along the Cahaba River in C. Alabama last Sat. I came across a tree that looked remarkably like that one there Wes, only more dramatic. I may go back and get a shot of it for everyone. I'm not sure what it is,  or how it came to exist. Could be a marker tree, but you have to appreciate those were mostly formed at the height of where a typical human could reach. It is a common belief that trees grow "up", which I think comes from our perspective of human growth. That is, your eyes don't stay 1' from the ground all your life, and we are used to seeing legs and arms lengthen. Trees don't so much grow "up" as extend from the top. Features stay at about the same height once formed, and new appendages come from the growth zones , while the girth expands. So, this crimp in the tree would have had to have been formed at that height. So....hmmm.  Trees can be trapped by other falling trees, and the direction of growth will always be toward the light. If that is what happened, the other tree most likely has long since decayed. Still, you need at least two direct forces of some magnitude to redirect growth with two 90 degree turns. Your tree looks like the highest bend is somewhat gradual. The one I saw looked like it grew around the edge of a cornice, twice. Very weird.   

You mean like this?

attachicon.gif006.JPG

attachicon.gif007.JPG

attachicon.gif008.JPG

attachicon.gif009.JPG

Nope never have seen one... :)

Seriously though, I would have probably never took note or looked for such a thing until WSA brought it up.  It wasn't until he mentioned them that I knew what to look for. So I looked, and lo and behold, there one was.

It does make a nice lookout perch complete with green branches that have the potential to provide cover as shown in pics 008 and 009. Do Midnight Owl's pics show similar cover? Next time I'm out there I'll look at it closer.

I seen one in Southeast Michigan near a known early Native American site and the 1812 River Raisin massacre.  That particular tree is a mature small one of unknown species. Until I seen the tall pine as depicted in Midnight Owl’s photo, I would never have guessed they would have grown to that height over the years. At some point when were saplings they must have been or bent and immobilized to grow like that.

Yeah WSA, get a pic of that, I'd like to see it. It's hard to say how they get thier start. I'm still monitoring the arch to see what it eventually does as it grows. I'd like to believe they are all due to natural causes as I'm sure some are. But I know better now.

The tree in the series of pics I posted is close to the bank of the river.  In the bend as a matter of fact.

I did find this pic to be interesting. I found it in my sent email dated 6/24/12,  This is the stick pattern that was observed under a bowed over sapling I had mentioned a few pages back.

post-1320-0-31030500-1426520747.jpg

I wonder if this ground formation is something like what bipedalist was refering to?

BFF Patron

^ You can file that one under "real" BF research value construction.   Repeated parallel lines, nice equilateral triangles in part.  Would have been nice to set up a high tripod overhead on that one, since you probably didn't have a telescopic ladder in your pack, either way, there is much to be teased apart on that one under ground cover scree I can assure you.  I could throw 30 or so pictures at you that would in some way verify that construction as being similar to my documented ones.  One thing to consider in some of these constructions........  are there what appear to be breaks to the ends of each component, are they self-contained and limited limbs or branches?  My feeling is some of these have some component of engineering to one end of the stick.  What is the major species of branch being used?  Are there outliers not growing nearby.  Are there any unusual growth patterns to some of the inclusions.  If so, do the growth pattern replicate things commonly seen in nature?  

Edited by bipedalist

• masterbarber unpinned this topic