Tree Manipulation/ Wood Structures: What Is The Evidence?

WSA

Thanks for the heads up bipedalist. I'm still a greenhorn at this and learning as I go. The pics I'm retrieveing from my email "sent items" are when I first started documenting these things. And like anything else there's a learning curve to it and I appreciate any and all advice. This year I'll make an effort to get more detail, get measurements for scale, and better pics from more angles when I run across something interesting. I'd like to see all of of what you have documented, but for now, i feel it would be prudent to just let myself, and all the other interested parties, independently verify some of the things you've already documented.

There are five sticks that make up the pattern. The 4 parallel to each other look like pine branches, the fifth one I have no idea but if I had to wager a guess I'd say maple.

Edited by WesT

Good stuff there. I found this this weekend in the immediate area where I had my road crossing sighting in '13. It immediately got my attention resting the way it was and every tree around is a bald cypress. This is sturdy oak, I hit it against the bridge and with the two size limbs each made a distinct knock. As a possible tool it could have several uses.

1. Could be used to sow the soil or scratch it.

2.It could be used as a signal device with the different tones it made.

3.The small nub on the end could be hung on a branch so you don't have to hold it all the time and the tip of the nub was pointed enough to immobilize potential small prey. 

4. The "handle" was over 18" long and if you look at the end of it, can see it was broke one way then snapped off the other way.

Anyone else found anything similar?

post-21068-0-84308700-1426563721.jpg

post-21068-0-94091400-1426563742.jpg

post-21068-0-76220000-1426563758.jpg

post-21068-0-04506300-1426563781.jpg

BFF Patron

^ Interesting oak branch.   The breaks definitely look interesting.  What are the oak types there if I might ask.  As to limb breaks giving you clues.  I will post up one of the poplar breaks that lead to an interaction with whatever was into these stick productions and layouts.  It continued for several weeks.  In a nutshell, I noticed a break and rip on a poplar stick break with ends less than 10 feet apart.  Early on in my research I just went hmmm, I've seen plenty of curly poplar bark dead fall, no big deal.  But yet, it was a big deal because it looked like a forced break and deliberate tear of one member from the other leading to the bark curl.  I place the ends back together and then proceeded to prop the loosely intact branch up on a deadfall log (the picture attached is several interactions removed from the reassembly).  That lead to 5 years worth of research followup essentially in a nutshell.  Simple things, things changed, things noticed.  Feedback given to acknowledge the change to see if anything else would notice.   Mission accomplished.  

post-86-0-22328000-1426566244.jpg

Postscript:  one thing that has gone through my mind is how in the hell would you ever be able to conduct such research in a place like the Olympic National Forest with such dense tangled rainforest underbrush?  Guess you could confine to meadows at or below treeline and less forested areas.  It was nearly impossible in the southern Appalachians to continue this type of research after wind and ice events of many years tore up this particular research area badly. 

Edited by bipedalist

I've seen something very similar to the 3rd pic on the top right Hellbilly. It was hanging in a tree about 8ft. off the ground. Next time I'm out there I'll snap a pic if it's still there. But as I was reading your post I had an omg you gotta be kidding moment.

A few pages back I showed this pic of a suspected deer ambush setup. 

post-1320-0-67143200-1427129280.jpg

I always wondered what weapon/tool was used to subdue the intended prey. I can see evidence of coralling, the cinderblock placed behind the log to trip the prey up and cause them to bite the dust for a second. The log is trampled..... quite a bit! The evidence is all there, but how did it do the deed? I believe the answer was in plain sight (again).

post-1320-0-72956100-1427130008.jpg

As I looked at the pic I noticed one of the branches (the bottom) was longer than the top. I also noticed the longer bottom branch doesn't have any bark on until it matches the top ones length. It was also green, not a deadfall branch. At the time I took this pic I thought is was a symbol used for some kind of communication. Now i'm thinking, yeah it's a communication alright, when the stomach communicates with the brain. It's most unusual that I don't even hunt and I now know of 2 different ways without the use of anything man made. I'm learning new things...  but from where/whom?

Since Lightheart has been giving names to these suspected tools/weapons, I'm going to call this one "the neck wringer". It's more primative genius. All I can say is WOW and thanks guys!

Oh, here's how "the neck wringer" would work. Deer come down to the spot shown to browse and/or cross the river.  Deer get spooked and run. Taking the path of least resistance they run over the log. One unlucky deers leg finds the hole in the cinderblock and for just a second bites the dust. The tool is then used to pin the deers head to the ground. Once the head is secured to the ground (using the suspected tool/weapon) just grab the back legs and give it a spin. I'm also thinking this would be a group effort.

Guest lightheart

Hey Wes T,

You gave me a good chuckle.....After a year and one half of continuing to find these tools I am convinced that indeed that is what they are. They are left where they were last used so it is pretty obvious what they were used for. They are hidden in plain sight since no one is looking for them. Well a few of us are. ........I find it interesting that they don't take them with them when they move just down the trail a bit. To me it indicates that they hold their stuff way more loosely than we do. They can always just find another.

I think you are definitely onto something with the "neck wringer". Looks like a carefully planned setup that has been used often. They continue to amaze....

Thanks for posting Wes. That is an interesting idea with the "neck wringer".

There are several oaks in my area. Pin oak, live oak, red oak and white oak. I could be missing some though. 

Great thread.

I thought this account was especially interesting....a pull from the Cryptomundo  site of a SC episode. The description of the wood structure, and the witness observing modifications with a primitive tool, is pretty astounding. I've never heard of any account anywhere as informational as this one. Based just on presentation, detail, lack of hesitancy alone, I'd give this a pretty high rating on the credibility scale. As I remarked to someone, if this guy made all this crap up, he is very, very, very good. Did I mention "very?"   

http://cryptomundo.com/cryptozoologists/sasquatch-chronicles-sasquatch-encounter-on-the-mountain/

Hellbilly, you're welcome. And thank you for posting as as well. If were'nt for you I wouldn't have looked in my photo collection and given that pic another look. So what if it took me almost 3 years to figure it out.... hehee  Yeah, this is a great thread. Footprints, hair and scat never taught me a thing.

lightheart, I thought you might get a kick out of that. I'm thinking the same thing in regards to leaving thier tools near where they were last used. No need to carry them around because the resources to make another are plentiful. We don't recognize them as tools right away (if ever) so there's no need to hide or destroy them after use. The neck wringer is an interesting tool concept. After discussing it further with my fellow enthusiest, the back legs would probably be avoided because of sharp hooves. With it's head pinned to the ground the front legs would be immoblized. Out of fear and adreneline it would probably break it's own neck using it's back legs in an attempt to get away. It not, then a simple chin lift would do the deed.

Let's all keep our eyes peeled this year.

Guest lightheart

Every weekend my friend. I am having some luck decoding some of the trail glyphs. Keep a lookout for these . I am pretty sure they are being used for short term messages. Still working on these but some have become more clear in the last few months......Progress.

What's the evidence that a sasquatch had anything to do with wood structures?  I know the old argument that structures are natural, windblown occurrences is common from skeptics but those of you who say it's a bf, how do you know?  Best guess?  I'm thinking no one has actually seen them doing it?

t.

Hi Terry, sasquatch is unproven and we all know the drill. So when we use the word "sasquatch" just think of it as a buzzword for unknown. I don't know for a fact "who or what's doing it".  But based on my personal observations there seems to be something that lives in the wild that knows how to manipulate the environment to accomodate a need. And it's nothing shy of primative genius. I'm just here to share and hopefully raise awareness.

lightheart, I'll shoot you a pm so you can give me a heads up on what you've decoded so far. I've also made some progress decoding the ground glyphs.

Yup Terry, you may want the "Tree Manipulation/Tree Structures: What is the PROOF" thread. But since you posed the question as to "evidence"...look to my post three above yours, and the link I included. Listen to that person's account of his experience as a boy. If you ask that question without browsing all the posts here so far, I'd question how sincere your question really  is, but would suggest you do that homework first, before anything else. These things might give you some reason to look into it further, after you do that.

After giving it some thought, as many of us here have, I'd like to know your ideas about this. What it comes down to, essentially, is that these things are either naturally occurring, built by humans or have some other origin. What that "other" might be is a fairly limited menu of choices. If you have one to propose aside from something big, with opposable thumbs, I'd be all ears.  

Edited by WSA

Hi Terry, sasquatch is unproven and we all know the drill. So when we use the word "sasquatch" just think of it as a buzzword for unknown. I don't know for a fact "who or what's doing it".  But based on my personal observations there seems to be something that lives in the wild that knows how to manipulate the environment to accomodate a need. And it's nothing shy of primative genius. I'm just here to share and hopefully raise awareness.

Hi WesT.  You never really heard talk about wood structures much in the old days.  It appears to me to be a more recent thing.  After 34 years working in forestry I think I've seen every example of stick formations that has been posted as being made by bf occur naturally in the wild.  Not to say that they couldn't have been constructed by a sasquatch I suppose but we've never really heard of anyone actually seeing one do it.  Until that happens I think it's mostly an assumption from many that it's bf related.  In my opinion anyway.

t.

• masterbarber unpinned this topic