My Name Is.... And I'm A Bigfoot Junkie

chelefoot

BF has been top of mind since yesterday's lame Erickson/Ketchum media event; I can go weeks without checking this site, but yesterday spawned a whole evening glued to this site and youtube. I've never had an encounter, and I've never gone searching for the big fella. Perhaps someday both of those will change. For now, I am simply swayed by the countless first-hand sightings and the richness of the reports. I grew up in Northern California and had liberal teachers who were open to the possibility of BF; I think it was the 4th grade (circa '72) when a teacher read us a popular BF story at the time (can't remember title for the life of me). Though not in the "field," I don't know that much will ever stop me from being open to the possibility of BF. I actually expect the Sykes report to validate that there is an undiscovered primate out there, which will in turn promote a groundswell of activity and social awareness (and possible acceptance) at a level never before seen.

If the Sykes report comes back negative, it will be a gut-punch for sure. Then I guess we'll have to come up with better explanations for huge rocks being thrown into rivers by unseen assailants, tree knocks in the middle of nowhere, and why so many NBA sized people are dressed up in ghillie suits running around the woods at night. And have been for centuries...

On the other hand, it's quite a notion to be on the veritable eve of DNA findings that could prove something has been going bump in the night. If so, it will be fascinating to watch how environmental protections affect our economy. Here in the NW we've been trying to protect the salmon on its own merits. The notion that a big, hairy buddy might afford more protection to entire watersheds on its own merits (thus benefitting the salmon and all other species including us) is heady stuff. It's also a reason why I think so much information has been held from view; I guess "politics" are best left for another thread. For now, it's nice to have a place where people give so freely of themselves and exchange heartfelt beliefs and profound sightings.

Edited by Gotta Know

Ah, I remember those early days of clicking the sight every few minutes for the latest "news"! Welcome to the BF community Gotta Know. I hope that Sykes has this... but I also know better than to get my hopes up to far. I did that for the Ketchum sudy and got my feelings hurt.

SSR Team

So it's insane for me to be hopeful that Sykes or NAWAC for example will be successful?

No, I mean the researchers, with game cams etc and just the current way of how research actually is.

There are more people out in the field searching for evidence and planning for ways to get a type speciman now than ever before. It seems like it should only be a matter of time (more time) before something happens.

But there's also more idiots* out banging on trees and "calling"  :mad:

(* don't mean n00b but genuinely interested footers so much as all the great empty headed unwashed who've been introduced to footing as entertainment....)

We often find ourselves going back to the same discussion over and over....

Why are we here? What do we hope to gain by discussing Bigfoot day in and day out?

Another member asked me if I will ever, "throw in the towell"?

I don't think so. I have never seen one, but I know many, who I trust, who have had daytime, clear sightings. While I do want proof, it doesn't effect my belief when another year goes by without it.

What about you? What brought you here (not just to the forum, but to the field)? What makes you stay? What will be the straw that breaks the camels back - when you say, "That's it! There is no BF!"

I come to this forum for a couple of reasons, one is to learn as much as I can about my experience.  Two is I am totally unable to discuss any of my experience with anyone I know on a personal level. Some get very angry if the subject gets brought up at all.

The reason I stay is if you think about the number of reported sightings throughout the world and then on a personal level the fear of ridicule from friends and relatives.  You got to think that total number of sightings reported could easily be a lot more than anyone realizes.

For me there is no straw that will break the camels back. I know they exist.

Guest Squatchologist

I've also watched all the specials and all the shows on TV since i was kid and always had interest. I guess Finding Bigfoot kind of brought it back for me, heard about the BFF on the bigfoot show podcast and took a visit. I'd have to say i agree with Cisco, I'm a believer only because of other peoples accounts and of course the PGF. Never had an experience myself but living in minnesota I know that anything can be out in those woods, even had my honeymoon in the smokies hoping for a sighting  :spiteful: I keep coming back to BFF to hopefully see a video that'll put this all to bed, still waiting

I hope to meet a nice non-smoking  SFBF who wants to share walks in the rain, old B&W movies and.....o.k., o.k.

Well, who doesn't want to experience the extraordinary, even if just in a virtual way? Mainly, I made a pact with myself many years ago to try and never be too surprised about what this universe is capable of throwing at us. I come here to get educated.

That pretty much says it for me.  I try to educate a little...and not a little of my education has come in the process of doing that.

The evidence had me convinced almost beyond the point of needing proof before I ever came here.  But one thing a lot of people here should know is that confirmation of the animal really only starts the discussion.

I watched a show on TV yesterday called "America Unearthed". In this particular episode the guy on the show was going to MN to see if he could find any evidence that there was a pre-Columbian Norse or Viking presence in the MN area.  He went to see this man who had a farm who found a huge skeleton buried on his land. The skeleton was around 9 ft tall and had gigantic bones. He said that he reported it and that the State Archeologist came along with a Native American Rep. They apparently told him it was Native American remains and went about quickly removing it.  He said it was so obvious to him that they were acting really weird about the whole thing. Very secretive and in a hurry. He was sure that the were covering something up.

Of course, my mind went straight to Bigfoot.

I've been fascinated by the phenomenon since I was a kid.  I first saw the Boggy Creek movie on TV when I was about 6 or 7.  Then I ready every book I could find in the school library and the county library which wasn't a whole lot, but enough to read stories that made me scared to go do chores late at night by myself.  I regained interest years later when the interwebs made it easier to find more information, and eventually I found my way here.  I've had no encounters.  I did once see a strange series of tree breaks when I was hunting.  At the time I had no idea that was in any way associated with BF, but I do remember looking at them and trying to figure out what/how/why it happened like that.  I still do not know what caused it as these were live, green trees and in nearly a perfect line spaced out nearly perfectly.  After I found out that tree breaks are sometimes attributed to BF I looked up sightings in the area and there have been reports - I'm still not chalking it up to BF though.

I came here to learn, and to be honest - the longer I've been here, the more skeptical I've become.  I have seen people who profess their knowledge of BF also admit to not knowing much about (insert general flora/fauna).  I feel that if you do not fully know and understand the known life in the environment, it is impossible to know the unknown life there.  I've seen so many reports of people hearing noises and attributing it to BF - whoops, knocks, etc - and refusing to consider alternate explanations.  There are tons of people out there now trying to call in a "squatch" - how many of these researchers are researching each other?  And then there are those people who say they are so good at mimicking other animals that you cannot tell them apart - doesn't logic then tell you it is probably that animal to begin with?  But when asking these questions, true/real skeptics (not scoftics) such as myself, are scolded.  I guess my response should be as Bobo does - "Dude, that was totally a 'squatch!"  I want these to be real, I want to believe.  But the more I see the believers/knowers assign every bump in the night to BF, the more leery I become.

Then there are the hoaxers.  Youtube, fake prints, researchers that have the next great proof - that soap opera never ends.  And it's because many people keep buying it - literally and figuratively.  IMO hoaxers and fringe believers (paranormal stuff) are the biggest detriment to BF research being taken seriously - and one often feeds off the other.  Serious research like NAWAC seems to be doing or norseman's ProjectGrendle is where I am putting my stock in discovery/confirmation.  Until then I guess I will enjoy the stories and do a little research on my own. 

I watched a show on TV yesterday called "America Unearthed". In this particular episode the guy on the show was going to MN to see if he could find any evidence that there was a pre-Columbian Norse or Viking presence in the MN area.  He went to see this man who had a farm who found a huge skeleton buried on his land. The skeleton was around 9 ft tall and had gigantic bones. He said that he reported it and that the State Archeologist came along with a Native American Rep. They apparently told him it was Native American remains and went about quickly removing it.  He said it was so obvious to him that they were acting really weird about the whole thing. Very secretive and in a hurry. He was sure that the were covering something up.

Of course, my mind went straight to Bigfoot.

I'm sure you have heard of the Lovelock Cave giants?

Si-Te-Cah

I have heard of the Lovelock Cave giants, but had never read that link you provided. It's seems to be saying that the skeletons (all but one bbetween 6-7 ft) were not actually "Giant" afterall. That's interesting... Thanks for the link!

And then there are those people who say they are so good at mimicking other animals that you cannot tell them apart - doesn't logic then tell you it is probably that animal to begin with?  But when asking these questions, true/real skeptics (not scoftics) such as myself, are scolded.  .

Yes, and I see that as a red flag. I support people being able to tell their stories without being "heckled" for proof. Some just simply don't have proof and I don't think it should be a prerequisite for sharing your experience. However, if they become scornful or angry at being asked for details - I see that as a red flag.  Of course people are going to ask questions in an attempt to get a better understanding of it. And as many hoaxes as this field has endured, we HAVE to ask questions.  Getting angry and defensive as some we have seen on You Tube, for example - tells me they may not be on the up and up in my opinion.  Especially if they are posting a video in an effort to back up their claims. I mean, isn't that the whole reason for posting the video?

I'm here because I have noone else to converse with on the subject. My family get's tired of hearing about it. LOL. Once you have clearly seen one, it changes a lot of things. I want to see one again, but not by myself.

Nod4Eight. I didn't really think they existed either before I saw one.I explained away things I heard and saw, I read a lot of sighting's, but until you see one for yourself, there will alway's be doubt. I suggest you look for a place and visit it as often as you can, for quite a long period of time, and don't give up. I don't think it's easy to get proof without a body. I know I want to see one again but not by myself. They are scary. My opinion is people are afraid to get close to them to get clear footage of them. I know I would be and have heard other's fear. I give those like Patterson and Gimlin credit for their courage.