My Name Is.... And I'm A Bigfoot Junkie

chelefoot

Well, of all the posts I have read so far, the only one that mentioned "Finding Bigfoot" is a skeptic!! That kinda surprises me. I assumed that many our of newer BF junkies were a result of the FB show.

Not me! 

My sister in law would talk about things being "squatchy" and I was like,  "What are you talking about?"  So yes, I saw the show a few times but moved on.   FIne for the great northwest, but whatever.  THEN, I saw something that turned me inside out.  I called my sister in law and could hardly get the words out.  She was the first one I called when I saw it.  I'm like, "you're never going to believe this."  Then come to find out, she thought the BF show was a joke.  Then her husband heard it with me Memorial Day weekend.  Then one of our friends saw it.  Yes, I knew about the show, but I didn't think that it was around here.  But when I saw it, that's exactly what I thought it was, similar to what they talked about on the show.  So I give them credit for raising my awareness but I have to say that I never in a million years thought that I would see it here.  I wasn't looking for it, and based on the amount of disbelief, it would be a lot easier if it never happened at all and that would just be another reality TV show.  Now, I welcome investigators, however, I don't want our place on TV.  That might ruin it all.  I do welcome the regular investigators though.  If BoBo and his team wants to hang here for a BBQ dinner and a night of research without cameras etc, I would welcome the research here.  What gets me about that show is that they often go to great extent to chase down possible locations with great effort, when all I have to do is sit in my back yard!

Edited by Hammer102492

“That is at bottom the only courage that is demanded of us: to have courage for the most strange, the most singular and the most inexplicable that we may encounter. That mankind has in this sense been cowardly has done life endless harm; the experiences that are called ‘visions,’ the whole so-called ‘spirit-world,’ death, all those things that are so closely akin to us, have by daily parrying been so crowded out of life that the senses with which we could have grasped them are atrophied."

- R.M.Rilke (Letters to a Young Poet)

It's like George Harrison said at the VH1 interview, (youtube), we as people have to put up with the "title wave of BS" He said that it's hard to find bliss.

Edited by chelefoot
Language

My sister in law would talk about things being "squatchy" and I was like,  "What are you talking about?"  So yes, I saw the show a few times but moved on.  

I bleev that term may have originated here also.

I 59 years old and have lived in SW Washington all my life. Worked played in the national forests in the PNW. I live in one of the "squachiest"  places in the world.

I have had strange situations in the woods and the only conclusion, Bigfoot because of not knowing what it is or was. Of all the time spent in the woods, working, camping, backpacking, hiking, fishing, blah, blah, blah, I have never seen one!

Since I was a kid we alway heard the local stories and I love reading the reports on BFRO. Some are very good, and scare the crap out of me. The older I get I hear more and more ridiculous stories and stupid hoaxed video's. I have become more of a skeptic.  

I come here to BFF because of the mystery of Bigfoot.  Some of the threads make my head hurt, just to much science or tech talk that goes over my head. I wade through most of the long winded rants and stick to the areas I am familiar with.

I have always thought if Bigfoot did exist it was only on the west coast from California through to SE Alaska, with the biggest populations in the Siskayous and Cascade mountain ranges. Until recently, past 20 years,I did't know about other places around the country having Bigfoots. Since the show finding Bigfoot, I now know every 5 acre plot with trees has families of Bigfoots! Sorry.   

I hope someday to see a Bigfoot, then I can say I know.

Love this forum

• Upvote 1

I'm probably a Bigfoot junkie of a different kind. I'm primarily a collector/archivist of Bigfoot. It's been so ingrained in our culture the past century that I think it would surprise people just how much stuff is out there.

I also like debate, and you can't have a good debate without things getting a little controversial. Otherwise I'm just on the fence with it all, mainly because of the sheer amount of hoaxing and misidentifications over the years. The PGF being my primary source of optimism.

Edited by roguefooter
  • Upvote 1

That I can't understand Roguefooter. I never even knew about bigfoot until 2002 when my brother told be about bfro. Even then I didn't pay much attention to it. It wasn't until I saw one that things changed for me, and even then it took me a while to get on this forum. I don't think it was so ingrained in our culture until finding bigfoot came on TV. I think most people don't believe these creature's exist.

I think it just depends on what things you are interested in. I have always been interested in the paranormal, monsters, cryptids, and all things that go bump in the night. So in reading about  those, Bigfoot was always a topic I came across and keep track of - way before Finding Bigfoot.

Yes, I guess it would depend on what your interested in. I don't know anyone who thought about it, talked about or believed in it, or even knew about bigfoot. I found this out after my sighting and everyone thought I had lost it, LOL.

^Bigfoot has gone through a couple of popularity surges. In the 50's/60's it was popular with mainly the Yeti, though it wasn't as ingrained in our culture because the Yeti was an international thing to us. In the 70's Bigfoot exploded into our pop culture. When Bigfoot becomes associated with mass merchandising then you know it's become a pop culture icon. It wasn't until recently that it's had another big surge of popularity- and you know it because the merchandise is everywhere again.

I could name at least a dozen sport's teams that use Bigfoot/Yeti as a mascot, and was even used as an Olympic mascot a few years ago. It's creeped into just about every part of our culture.

Edited by roguefooter

Yes and as I heard Ro say once on one of the TV shows, along with it being so popular right now, many use it as a mascot or in advertising because it is free - no one owns the right to Bigfoot  - although there are some (who I won't name) who would love to change that.

I've known about The BF phenomenon nearly my whole life. I think it must also be from where you live - I grew up camping through the Pacific Northwest. BF sightings have been reported around here for centuries. After PGF, sightings started popping up all over the US which makes me leery of those eastern reports. Also, if you did not grow up in a rural area I think you had less exposure to it. I love talking to old timers who have lived in he woods all their life, some have some great BF stories. Probably hard to do that if you live in the city, as a lot of old timers wouldn't give you the time of day.

But Sheri, did you never see Harry and the Hendersons and wonder what it was?

It seems like the people who think BF is only in the PNW are people who live there.  If you look in the historical archives (in the Virtual Library here) there were a lot of news articles with reports of the Wildman sightngs here in the East dating back into the 1800's. Since Bluff Creek,  I think there were more reports coming from the west - specifcally the PNW. And I'm sure it was probably much more a part of your culture growing up then it was in other areas. But I remember hearing stories as a child (I grew up in East TN close to the Smokey Mtns) and seeing PGF. I can also remember the Bigfoot episode on the Six Million Dollar Man (was my brother's favorite show).

Hmmm .. maybe in the past.   That's where the bigfoot seekers were, that's where the publicity came from.

Go take a look at BFRO's web site under recent reports.  Wade backwards month by month for a few years.  Unless they are sitting on a ton of new reports, the hot spots are in the Southeast and Midwest, not the Pac NW.   And in the Pac NW, it's all about Washington, not Oregon, not Nor Cal, not SE Alaska.

MIB

Edited by MIB